HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Herceptin / Tykerb (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Tykerb...Foods to Avoid? (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=45728)

my2boys 06-22-2010 01:17 PM

Tykerb...Foods to Avoid?

I have only been on Tykerb for a few days, but even with the 750mg dose, I seem to be having diarrhea every morning.

The first day was the worst because I ate my normal diet of salads and veggies with dinner. I have been living on toast and jello for three days now and I realize that this cannot continue.

Any words of wisdom on which foods to avoid altogether and which foods to limit portion sizes?

ElaineM 06-22-2010 09:12 PM

Re: Tykerb...Foods to Avoid?

There has been much discussion about the famous Tykerb side effect you have been experiencing. One thread is titled "Something that seems to work for diarrhea." Maybe you could try looking at that.
I would imagine that the same foods that work for general diarrhea might help. Toast, bananas, applesauce, rice etc. It might be good to stay away from fried and oily foods. Be sure to get enough liquids to replenish the liquids you are loosing with the diarrhea.
Your doctor may also be able to prescribe something for diarrhea.
Good luck with the Tykerb. I hope it works for you. Take good care of yourself.

my2boys 06-23-2010 07:13 AM

Thank you Elaine. After I read your message I browsed through the forum and saw where someone mentioned Activia yogurt. I might give that one a try. I also saw the posts you mentioned. I see where many women are on much higher doses than I am, so I am hopeful that my side effects will not be so severe.

Thanks again.
Anne

Roninpt 06-23-2010 10:00 AM

Hi, I posted to the Diarrhea post, but I will repeat here what has been really useful.

I had a terrible time at first on the med. First, talk to your doc about going up more slowly. Maybe take a week on one tab, then 2 and then up as you can tolerate.

Then, as has been mentioned, the BRAT diet really works to get some food in you, and also the probiotics, but avoid youghurt. Most dairy is a problem they even tell you that on the website. After 4 months, I am just starting to get on yoghurt and dairy again. You can get probiotics in capsule form at the health food store - "Optima" is good, and I have seen other probiotics in regular grocery stores.

Also, go for Pedialyte and mix it into some Smartwater - you need to keep hydrated. That in and of itself helps keep the diarrhea down. Next, really keep salt out of your diet as much as possible. When you go out be really careful, because things like rubs and salad dressing are drenched in salt. Coffee just doesn't work ever.

You will be able to eat salad again - it just may be a couple of weeks. Also, hummous is a good protien source and that worked well when I couldn't eat other foods.

I also spent a lot of time gently massaging my abdomen. Start at the base of the sternum and work to the left, down and around to the right. Be gentle, but it can help too. It may make you go, but you'll feel better afterwards.

I am here to tell you that it will get better over time - it may be a long time, but the results can be really good. I had just gotten up to 4 tabs at my last scan and there was no change in any of the bad spots, and my blood work has been really stable as well. It is tough to deal with, but it is worth it.

Good luck!
Alison

my2boys 06-24-2010 06:47 AM

Oh Alison thank you so much for the encouragement! I am so relieved to know that eventually I will be able to eat salad again. I was dreading the thought of a full year of these side effects, but now I am hopeful that over time, I will begin to feel better.

This morning I was so hungry I ate a plate of scrambled eggs and toast with coffee. Luckily there was a bathroom nearby, but it sure felt good to eat again. Hopefully I will be eating regular foods again real soon.

Smiles,
Anne

Unregistered 07-01-2010 10:33 AM

Hi Anne - I haven't been on line for a few days, and just now saw your post. I am glad my post encouraged you, and you WILL be able to eat better!

Just as a note, I would really avoid coffee. (Unfortunately for me, my favorite beverage.) Coffee is just one of those things that makes you go, go, go.

Anything that changes or challenges the osmolytic factors of your gut should be avoided. Anything that pulls H20 into your intestines is going to be a problem, which is why I have avoided salt at all cost. Even things like low sodium soy sauce can be disasterous. Milk products, which are hard to digest are problematic too. And, unfortunately, chocolate deserts too.

So that I don't feel totally deprived, I have gotten in the habit of buying or making a cup of coffee and limiting myself to 1/4 cup, and having something to eat with it. Then add in your Imodium chaser and you should be OK. I only do this on days I am home.

I did find that a great desert is coconut ice "cream". There are a couple on the market, and they are very rich, but really good.

Basically, I would start with a diet appropriate for Irritable Bowel Syndrome, because a lot of the symptoms are the same - then branch out. It took me weeks, but I am able to eat greens and healthy food in moderation.

Good luck and avoid the salt!

Alison

Jackie07 07-01-2010 09:23 PM

Thanks, Alison.

Cadditelale 03-01-2011 12:59 AM

Tykerb Foods to Avoid

Mary is such a bright soul She pretty much said what I would have, plus some. The foods I personally avoid like the plague with my DS is tomato, pineapple, and orange juice. He is also allergic to milk, so obviously we stay away from that too.

pibikay 03-03-2011 07:27 AM

Hema avoids orange juice and flat beans