HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Articles of Interest (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Searching for new direction (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=58536)

Laurie7 07-10-2013 03:07 PM

Searching for new direction

Hi I am stage 4 and I am looking to go a more natural route with my treatment..Anyone stage 4 ever consider or try alternative medicine with their chemotherapy. If so what are the results?

'lizbeth 07-10-2013 07:09 PM

Re: Searching for new direction

I had acupuncture every week during treatment. It was a fortunate luxury that helped rid me of that overall achiness from chemotherapy. And eliminated the worst pain I'd ever felt in my life after an infection. It can help with many, many issues. don't like needles, try acupressure.

The best "alternatives" that I have discovered are moderate exercise, a diet full of healthy pesticide-free fruits & vegetables and whole grains, generous amount of water (I prefer Penta which is filtered 11 times). As a stage IV survivor, I would work hard to eliminate sugar from your diet, and avoid alcohol. Most of the stage IV stories of success I've come across is from juicing. I don't know what policy the clinical trial folks have on supplements, so I would ask before adding anything new. My oncologist recommended that I take Vitamin D.

A positive determined attitude and meditation is helpful. Resolve any feelings of resentment.

My friend, who has stage IV ovarian cancer is doing all sorts of interesting alternatives. Her doctor is Juergan Wrinkler in Carlsbad, Ca. Here is information on his intergrated approach:

http://www.qfmed.com/doctor/dr-juergen-winkler/

I think the T-DM1 clinical trial was a great idea, I'm hoping it gets you back to a permanent NED.

Mandamoo 07-10-2013 07:52 PM

I think that Stage 4 success stories are so varied it shows how individual we all are in how we respond to all kinds of treatments. I have supported my treatments with various complementary therapies including Accupuncture, Reiki, massage, Traditional Chinese meditation. I have learned to meditate and it helps me enormously. I exercise as much as I can. I attend a stage 4 support group and regularly attend a Foundation for people with Cancer that has a integrated approach. I have also modified my diet but I am not as strict as I used to be and I allow myself to LIVE but focus on eating to maximise nutrition.
I know some Stage 4 success stories personally - they have all done different things but they have all been open to alternatives. Some were offered no traditional/ western treatment and have gone into remission - diet and meditation being key to their stories.
I would suggest reading widely, being open, seeking advice from respected professionals and then making a decision and going with it.
Good Luck.

Laurie7 07-11-2013 02:25 AM

I am wondering detoxing/cleansing the body before during or after chemotherapy and also adding supplements, IV treatments, coffee enemas, etc..

karen z 07-11-2013 08:40 AM

Laurie7.
Please check with your oncologist about possible new directions before you try.
Best wishes,

Laurie7 07-11-2013 09:54 AM

Thanks everyone for their opinions. KarenZ I will definitely talk with my onc first the trouble is when I ask her about supplements alone she tells me not to take them because they don't know if it affects the chemo at all but the I hear/read stories about so many others in supplements and doing great. I am at the point in my journey where I still feel strong(physically) and feel my body needs more attention other than dousing it with toxins...I know it's only gonna get worse if I don't do something about it now..

karen z 07-11-2013 10:01 AM

Hi Laurie,
I would do research on supplements/practices you want to try and then present a list to your oncologist. You will likely find that your oncologist will approve some (perhaps massage therapy, guided imagery, mindfulness training, eating in a certain way) but not others........that could hurt you or (at the very least) not help you. I think that you want to be very specific about your list and I am guessing that will help.

ElaineM 07-11-2013 03:51 PM

See if you can find a good detician and/or a naturopathic physician to guide you if you want to try integrative medicine (conventional plus alternative). There are some M.D.s who also practice integrative medicine now a days. Contact your local medical board or the nearest medical school to find one.