HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   EXPANDER PAIN...14 days post op (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=56420)

roz123 10-29-2012 12:51 PM

EXPANDER PAIN...14 days post op

hi all
i was wondering if those who had TE's can tell me their experience. I am 14 days post op and still in a ton of pain. The "iron bra" feeling is still bad. I feel like i am carrying 2 bowling balls on my chest. I am still on pain meds.
My surgeon/nurse said this is unusal and told me that they will assess me at week 3 - i can't imagine this is normal.
the surgeon put 180cc in each expander at surgery, they removed 30cc but it did not give me any relief

i would love to hear your expander story (good or bad)

twosenuf99 10-29-2012 05:35 PM

Re: EXPANDER PAIN...14 days post op

Hi i did have expanders put in Oct 2011 and exchanged for implants in August of this year. The iron bra feeling did not go away at all. The pain of being expanded was torture, I had the dr do 120 ccs each time so that I could finish quicker which could account for some of my pain but not all of it. Personally the implants don't feel much better. But that is my opinion. I still feel like I have 2 bricks on my chest. Good luck and keep me posted how you are doing..

Sending you hugs
Tracy

jaykay 10-29-2012 06:00 PM

I"m almost 3 weeks out from surgery and still feel like I have a horse sitting on my chest. But it's better than the elephant that was there. PS said it was normal; imagine severely pulled pecs. I started wearing a sports bra a couple of days ago and it has been helping. I don't know why...

I'm not on pain meds, but am taking Aleve. Tbh, doesn't really help!

I literally feel your pain, hang in there

Janis

starwishn2 10-29-2012 06:24 PM

I had a bilateral mastectomy in July of this year. The expanders were "put in" at that time. The scar on my right breast did not heal quickly so I didn't receive any saline until September. The first expansion didn't bother me at all. The doc put in 120cc's in each. I had another round last week - right before chemo. I now know that elephant feeling!! I'm not sure I want any more expansion. I've heard the implants are easier. That's my hope! Apparently nothing about this process is easy or comfortable! Best of luck!

KsGal 10-29-2012 11:32 PM

The first month I had my expanders they did hurt. When I went in for my first fill, they immediately felt better. My plastic surgeon told me that sometimes there is a wrinkle in the expander that can cause some discomfort.
I know you might think this is odd, but right after I got my first fill I found out I was stage IV, and I went through a period where I thought there was no point in continuing with the reconstruction. I suppose it was a part of my depression. So now, a year out, I still have my expanders in there with just two fills. Im just now to the point where I am scheduling my next fill, and the doctor says I am about halfway finished. Anyhow, my point about that is that heavy restricted feeling doe not really go away even after a year, although you do adjust to it a bit more.

yanyan 10-31-2012 03:16 PM

The tightness and pain seem to be common in the 1st few months but do watch for signs of infection. I still have my expanders in after 1.5 years ( sigh )

LeahM 10-31-2012 03:52 PM

I have had my expanders in since May 31 and expect them to stay in till next summer. I had them expanded very s l o w l y, what's the rush? 60ml at a time, with at least 10 days between visits. I found that to be tolerable but really for at least two months I was very uncomfortable with them and slept on the recliner chair.

Now, they really don't bother me at all. But I think that makes me one of the "lucky few". A local friend had all kinds of discomfort with them, but she had more nodes removed then I did and I can't help but wonder if that was what made it more uncomfortable for her.

I just think they are weird, they don't move. I say I have tupperware inserted in my chest.

Leah

Joanne S 10-31-2012 11:00 PM

I know just how you feel. Don't worry, the tightness is definitely expected. You may not realize, the pectoralis muscles were cut to make an envelope for the expanders (expanders are under the muscle)---the expanders are putting a lot of pressure on those muscles and chest. I always felt like I had a bra on that was six sizes too small. In time, the muscles will stretch, but it's a slow process. I found putting less saline in at each expansion made it a little more tolerable for me. Hoping you have a smooth surgical healing and expansion recovery. Hugs, Joanne

snolan 11-01-2012 07:30 AM

If it doesn't clear up soon I would recommend going to see a Physical Therapist who specializes it womens issues (ie lymphadema/breast cancer) You may need some soft tissue work to help loosen the area. I had a lot of scar tissue due to having an infection in the left side had to remove the expander and have a different reconstruction. It started to affect my shoulder was getting capsular tighness and my pect muscles where very tight. Our posture tends to change when our chest gets tight we round our shoulders which affects our shoulder machanics. But loosening the area may help reduce the tightness some. But expander on the right always felt tight, had the silicon placed last spring, they feel better but still have that tight feeling. When I flex my chest they move. Kids think its funny.
Suzanne

roz123 11-01-2012 10:20 AM

thanks so much ladies
i will look into the PT -I am still in a ton of pain and have been on meds round the clock, which worries me but i can't go without
i was expanded to 180cc at surgery, they took out 30cc to try to give me some relief (did not work) i won't let them touch me until i get this pain under control
this process is inhumane if you ask me, there has to be a better way. I wish i had researched fat grafting as it seems to be a better (less painful option)