HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Prayers for Kristin Schwick (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=62028)

Carol Ann 10-22-2014 07:17 AM

Prayers for Kristin Schwick

Her cancer has spread. I am so sad to post this. But I thought you all would want to know.

http://kristin-notdying-blog.blogspot.com/

I am so tired of all the cheery "Just find it early and you'll be fine" crap. I am so tired of 98% of the money raised in this atrocity of Pinktober for breast cancer going to awareness and early detection, when it is metastasis that kills.

Carol Ann

embur102 10-22-2014 08:38 AM

Re: Prayers for Kristin Schwick

Prayers for strength and healing

Mtngrl 10-22-2014 09:53 AM

Carol Ann,

I'm with you. October used to be my favorite month. No more.

Poor Kristin. It's so very sad.

Pamelamary 10-22-2014 11:30 PM

Thanks for letting us know - sad news indeed. Kristin will be in all our hearts.....Pam

zhelmom 10-23-2014 06:25 AM

I am in....prayers for kirstin.......

annettchen 10-23-2014 07:10 AM

I hope and pray for Kristin. This is horrible, and I think maybe I can relate a little, having a young child as well...

Re. Pink October: got my Herceptin / Perjeta yesterday and lo and behold: they now have breast cancer pink garbage bags in the Chemo ward. I kid you not.

When I spoke with my favorite nurse and asked her whether she didn't find this just tasteless and weird and complete and utter bullsh***, she just shrugged her shoulders. Then again, she's not into pink October either...

Carol Ann 10-23-2014 10:29 AM

Annette, good for you for speaking up! Not surprised at her reaction, but at least you told her how you felt about it. Maybe the word will get back. My onc's office has avoided ANY mention of Pinktober, which I really appreciate.

I intend to keep speaking the truth whenever I have an opportunity, 365 days a year.

Carol Ann

KathyT 10-23-2014 01:11 PM

I am so sorry to hear about Kristin, I went to her blog and needed a box of Kleenex....it just doesn't seem fair!! I have 3 kids and can't imagine not being here to raise them. Unfortunately you just never know. God bless her and her family, she will be in my prayers nightly.

KDR 10-23-2014 01:38 PM

I'm not giving up on you, Kristin! You can do this! I'm sorry to hear about the progression, yes...you can beat it back. You are always around with uplifting words for all...so here are a few for you...
We love you! Continue to strive! Continue to thrive!

XOXO
Your friend
Karen

BonnieR 10-23-2014 05:51 PM

Annette. Those garbage bags are another sign of the trivializing of breast cancer. A treatment facility should be more aware. Probably someone's misguided idea of being supportive
And on the other hand we have dear Kristen in dire straights. Pink seems so trite under the circumstances
Keep the faith everyone

Carol Ann 10-23-2014 06:37 PM

You said it, Bonnie. Trite and a useless token, thy name is Pinktober. Just THINK of how much farther we might be towards a cure, if all the $$ spent to dye the garbage bags pink, etc had gone to metastatic research over the years since there's been a Pinktober ...

But no. And so, every 14 minutes, someone will die of breast cancer in the US, just as they have for decades.

Carol Ann

BonnieR 10-23-2014 06:47 PM

Susan Koman went entirely over the edge by endorsing pink drill bits for fracking equipment
And don't get me started on all the bars having "save the ta tas" drinking parties, the "go bra less" promotions. Etc etc.
But keep the faith!

Carol Ann 10-23-2014 06:53 PM

I agree, Bonnie! I think this was GOOD -- it made alot of people wake up to the fact that Komen is not interested in a cure, just keeping the pink machine going and $$$.

CA

annettchen 10-23-2014 07:04 PM

Ladies,

They mean well, I have to assume.

Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with finding breast cancer early, while it is still curable - if pink garbage bags help doing that, go for it! And my favorite nurse at least indicated that she was fundamentally unwilling to wear the prescribed pink shirt this Friday (good thing I got my medication yesterday!).

I can stare at a pink garbage bag while hanging on an IV that I hope will prolong my life so I can see my almost 6 years old daughter grow up some more years - in fact, as many years as I can get.

I'm sure Kristin feels the same way - we'd do anything. So, if the pink bag HELPED, why not? Not even sure I don't find it kinda funny - weird, crazy, macabre, but somehow I couldn't help smiling at such a hapless, helpless, embarrassing attempt to do good.

It's weird: my oncologist says that approximately 30% of the women that are diagnosed with cancer will eventually develop mets, and, at the current state of affairs, therefore most likely die of it (unless they are run over by a bus after all, that is...).

Yet, no one in the pink fraction seems to want to acknowledge that fact. Yes, it's scary. Then again: maybe I would apply the "ostrich strategy" if I had not been among the unlucky small group that had mets from the get go... Given I still try to give cancer as little room in my life as I possibly (and technically) can, I probably would have.

Anyway, enough of my slightly pointless musings - maybe Pinktober is getting to me after all...

Carol Ann 10-23-2014 07:17 PM

We all have our different feelings about pink. I think the most important thing is that we are able to honestly state how we feel without fear of judgment.

Which is why I love this forum and everyone here! It is a judgment free zone. And yes, I'm the first to agree and say, its been a long month!

Carol Ann

BonnieR 10-23-2014 07:26 PM

But you know what, when I was new in Cancerland I embraced the pink everything. It made me feel not so alone. And that we were DOING something! I wore my pink ribbon proudly. My husbands airline allowed the pilots to wear pink ties which he did to support me. I guess with some time away from diagnosis I have become more cynical and am seeing some of the ludicrous extremes. But it was very affirming in the early days. And has a place
Especially if people are well meaning and earnest
Keep the faith

Carol Ann 10-24-2014 09:05 AM

I think I was more cynical from the get go than I might have been when NONE of the diagnostics I had (mammo, ultrasound, and MRI) were accurate. They all FAILED to find any of the tumors I had, and there were certainly enough to go around!

yanyan 10-31-2014 11:10 AM

Bump it up for Kristin !! i read her blog today and that she is having a hard time dealing with liver issues. Please continue to pray for Kristin!

Carol Ann 10-31-2014 11:22 AM

I just read today's entry. It is heartbreaking.

Carol Ann

annettchen 10-31-2014 11:46 AM

I'm so, so sorry. I wish there were anything I - or anyone - can do. I'm praying...