HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Long-term Herceptin: How many and how's it effecting your life? (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=65122)

McManus33 07-18-2016 10:53 AM

Long-term Herceptin: How many and how's it effecting your life?

Hi - I just wanted to reach out and see who out there is on a life-long prescription of Herceptin - how many treatments have you had and how's it effecting your life?

I just completed my 70th Herceptin treatment. I go every three weeks on Wednesday mornings. It's just part of the routine now. I was diagnosed at 33 years old and am turning 38 this fall. It's been one hell of a roller-coaster ride. I was diagnosed Stage IV IDC with Bone Mets right out of the gate. I did 8 rounds of my "toxic" chemo and have been plugging along on Herceptin and Tamoxifin ever since. My doc's all told me that I'll be on Herceptin for my life. So until something major changes - this is it.

I'd really like to hear from others that are ahead of me with Herceptin treatments. How high can we go? What are you experiencing? I just had a Brain MRI, because I think I'm starting to loose my marbles. My GPO says that it's just a chemo-stress related fog - but I don't know how much longer I want to live in this fog, but if it's keeping me alive, how could I ever go off?

Hope to hear from 70+'ers.

With thanks!
Sara

SoCalGal 07-18-2016 06:47 PM

Re: Long-term Herceptin: How many and how's it effecting your life?

Ha - by my standards you're just a newbie. I'm 9 years on (vitamin H) Herceptin and counting...
not NED but not DEaD :))

Bunty 07-18-2016 10:22 PM

Hi Sara,

well I've never thought of counting how many I've had, but reading your post inspired me to pull out the calculator. So, I think I would currently be at about 147 infusions over the past 8.5 years. I have no side affects at all really. I've had some chemo in there too - you can read my signature.

For me, unless something dramatically changes, I'll be on Vitamin H for a while yet!

Could the fog be something else? There is a lot of posts about the side effects of Herceptin on this site, so you could do some digging there too.

All the best
Marie

DianaMK 07-19-2016 11:08 AM

6 consecutive years here (7 years total)
I'm stable so as my onc says "lets not mess with success"
No side effects

MaineRottweilers 07-21-2016 04:44 PM

I just wanted to tread on this thread to say that I am in awe of you ladies. You give me lots of hope. I just took treatment 30 today (17 initial infusions, a year and a half off and now at 13 infusions). Thanks for being my light.

Whonoze 07-21-2016 09:09 PM

I'm 9 1/2 years on Herceptin. I was thinking of going off at 10 but decided not to rock the boat because there's really no data.

Colleen 07-26-2016 07:59 AM

Next week will be treatment number 48 for me. I still receive hercepton and perjeta every 3 weeks via an IV infusion thru my arm, i have good veins and had my port removed due to its inefficiency and pain it caused me. As a stage iv thriver there is no end in sight, so I just keep plodding along trying to forget I am an eternal cancer patient the other 20 days between infusions. I swim masters, cycle to my appointments (22 miles round trip), do yoga, swim in the ocean when ever I can and many other outdoor activities. Its the left over side effects of the six cycles with the taxane that occasionally impede some of the things I can do, like handling small clasps on necklaces and bracelets. so I wear a little less bling these days ;)

TiffanyS 01-16-2017 06:12 AM

I’ve been getting Herceptin about 10 months, and my doctor told me last week, after reviewing my recent echo test, that my heart is a little weak due to the Herceptin. She says it’s not weak enough to take me off of the Herceptin, but she thinks the shortness of breath I’ve been experiencing for the last month is due to my heart problems caused by the Herceptin. I noticed yesterday that the shortness of breath is getting worse, and I think the light headedness I’ve been experiencing since my last treatment may be due to not getting enough oxygen. If this keeps up, I’ll have to take a Herceptin break, although I hope it won’t be a long break as I really need the Herceptin right now.

¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬ ¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
12/15 – First mammogram
01/16 – Second mammogram and ultrasound.
01/16 – Meet surgeon and go for third mammogram, second ultrasound and biopsy. Surgeon confirms cancer in left breast and lymph nodes and sets surgery date.
01/16 – Chest scan and bone scan done– all looks good.
02/16 – Surgery - left breast mastectomy and 16 lymph nodes removed (8 had cancer).
02/16 – CT scan done – small nodules on lung but Doctor advises it’s normal. They will continue to monitor just in case.
03/16 – Meet radiation oncologist and find out results of Pathology Report. I’m told that I have locally advanced breast cancer, based on the size of my tumour (7 cm!) and the fact that they found cancer cells in eight lymph nodes. I’m also told that I’m HER 2 positive, with high levels of estrogen and progesterone and that my cancer is stage 3, grade 2.
03/16 – Meet oncologist and am told that my cancer is actually grade 3, and that I should have done chemo before surgery. Too late now!
03/16 – Start first of six doses of chemo (Carboplatin and Docetaxal) and Herceptin (for one year).
04/16 – Have port put in.
04/16 – Get second dose of chemo, but Docetaxal is left out due to liver enzymes being high. I was unable to get a full dose of Docetaxal after my first treatment.
06/16 – Finished chemo! One month off and then I start radiation.
06/16 – Start Tamoxifen.
07/16 – First radiation treatment – 24 more to go!
08/16 – Went for Genetic Testing to see if I have the BRCA gene. Tested negative for BRCA I and II
08/16 – Radiation oncologist biopsies “scar tissue” on my scar. I am told that I have a “local recurrence” and need to have rush surgery.
09/16 – Meet surgeon who advises that I need to meet with a plastic surgeon, as they will need to do a skin graft to close me up after surgery. Meet plastic surgeon and all looks good. A surgery date is set for October 4.
09/16 – Go for rush ultrasound, bone scan, breast MRI and CT scan.
09/16 – Meet oncologist who advises that the ultrasound and bone scan results look good, and that MRI shows three small masses at surgery site, but lymph nodes are clear. Still awaiting the results of the CT scan, but we are positive it will look good.
09/16 – Get a call from my oncologist, who advises that CT scan shows small spots on my lungs, and a large lymph node in the middle of my chest. This means the cancer has spread! She looks into getting me funded for TDM1 and cancels my surgery.
10/16 – Meet oncologist, who advises that I have to take Perjeta before I can take TDM1. I start Perjeta/Herceptin every three weeks for an indefinite amount of time, and Taxol, which I will take two weeks in a row with one week off and then two weeks in a row for 8-16 treatments. Stop Tamoxifen.
10/16 – Meet surgeon, who reviews my CT scan and advises that the spots on my lungs may not be cancer, and that he doesn’t see a lymph node in my chest. He thinks it’s a spot on my lung. I’m feeling very confused! He advises that my oncologist doesn’t want me to have surgery to remove the three small masses on my scar line, as she wants to use them as a way to determine if the treatment is working. He advises that if they have not shrunk in 6 months, he will revisit surgery.
10/16 – CEA blood test to determine Tumour markers. Results were normal (2.7). My doctor advises that this could mean two things: (1) that the treatment is working, and the tumours are shrinking, or (2), that I'm one of those people who never get elevated CEA levels. Given that some people never get an elevated CEA level, this test doesn’t seem very accurate to me! Asked for PET scan, but am told I don’t qualify.
10/16 – Brain MRI – NED!
11/16 - CA-15-30 blood test – Tumour markers are normal at 19.
11/16 – Second CEA blood test – Tumours markers are still normal at 1.6
11/16 – Second CA-15-30 bloot test – Tumour markers are still normal at 19
11/16 – Develop lymphedema and have to wear a sleeve
12/16 – CT Scan shows that the tumors on my lungs and the lymph node in the middle of my chest are shrinking, and that some have resolved. Also, the small masses along my scar line are no longer visible. This means the medication is working!
12/16 – Small “pimple” shows up where old tumour on chest wall was located. Doctor is going to biopsy it in early January to see if it’s cancer

Juls 01-16-2017 01:27 PM

3 years 8 months - must be into 60's by now,

Just read on another site that one lady's oncologist is thinking of taking her off Herceptin at 2 years. She is stage 4. Never heard of this. Would be wonderful though!!
I'm sure I have read that Dr Slamon suggests 4 years but that most of his patients are more comfortable with 5 years!
My Oncologist in UK just says "on it until it no longer works for you"! Reassuring - not!
Juls

TiffanyS 01-16-2017 01:52 PM

Hi Jules, I’m also on Herceptin (along with Perjeta) until it no longer works for me. I thought that was the case for most stage 4 cancer patients.

12/15 – First mammogram
01/16 – Meet surgeon and go for third mammogram, second ultrasound and biopsy. Surgeon confirms cancer in left breast and lymph nodes and sets surgery date.
02/16 – Surgery - left breast mastectomy and 16 lymph nodes removed (8 had cancer).
02/16 – CT scan done – small nodules on lung but Doctor advises it’s normal. They will continue to monitor just in case.
03/16 – Meet radiation oncologist and find out results of Pathology Report. I’m told that I have locally advanced breast cancer, based on the size of my tumour (7 cm!) and the fact that they found cancer cells in eight lymph nodes. I’m also told that I’m HER 2 positive, with high levels of estrogen and progesterone and that my cancer is stage 3, grade 2.
03/16 – Meet oncologist and am told that my cancer is actually grade 3, and that I should have done chemo before surgery. Too late now!
03/16 – Start first of six doses of chemo (Carboplatin and Docetaxal) and Herceptin (for one year).
04/16 – Get second dose of chemo, but Docetaxal is left out due to liver enzymes being high. I was unable to get a full dose of Docetaxal after my first treatment.
06/16 – Start Tamoxifen.
08/16 – Went for Genetic Testing to see if I have the BRCA gene. Tested negative for BRCA I and II
08/16 – Radiation oncologist biopsies “scar tissue” on my scar. I am told that I have a “local recurrence” and need to have rush surgery.
09/16 – Meet surgeon who advises that I need to meet with a plastic surgeon, as they will need to do a skin graft to close me up after surgery. Meet plastic surgeon and all looks good. A surgery date is set for October 4.
09/16 – Meet oncologist who advises that the ultrasound and bone scan results look good, and that MRI shows three small masses at surgery site, but lymph nodes are clear. Still awaiting the results of the CT scan, but we are positive it will look good.
09/16 – Get a call from my oncologist, who advises that CT scan shows small spots on my lungs, and a large lymph node in the middle of my chest. This means the cancer has spread! She looks into getting me funded for TDM1 and cancels my surgery.
10/16 – Meet oncologist, who advises that I have to take Perjeta before I can take TDM1. I start Perjeta/Herceptin every three weeks for an indefinite amount of time, and Taxol, which I will take two weeks in a row with one week off and then two weeks in a row for 8-16 treatments. Stop Tamoxifen.
10/16 – Meet surgeon, who reviews my CT scan and advises that the spots on my lungs may not be cancer, and that he doesn’t see a lymph node in my chest. He thinks it’s a spot on my lung. I’m feeling very confused! He advises that my oncologist doesn’t want me to have surgery to remove the three small masses on my scar line, as she wants to use them as a way to determine if the treatment is working. He advises that if they have not shrunk in 6 months, he will revisit surgery.
10/16 – CEA blood test to determine Tumour markers. Results were normal (2.7). My doctor advises that this could mean two things: (1) that the treatment is working, and the tumours are shrinking, or (2), that I'm one of those people who never get elevated CEA levels. Given that some people never get an elevated CEA level, this test doesn’t seem very accurate to me! Asked for PET scan, but am told I don’t qualify.
10/16 – Brain MRI – NED!
12/16 – CT Scan shows that the tumors on my lungs and the lymph node in the middle of my chest are shrinking, and that some have resolved. Also, the small masses along my scar line are no longer visible. This means the medication is working!
12/16 – Small “pimple” shows up where old tumour on chest wall was located. Doctor is going to biopsy it in early January to see if it’s cancer.

Juls 01-16-2017 02:09 PM

Hi Tiffany
So did I!
Think this is part of the problem - no -one really knows.
I think I would trust Dr Slamon's suggestion if NED for 4 years. Not sure if my Onc would ever consider stopping.
Apparently this lady (on other site) says that her Oncologist took another lady off H at 2 year date & 2 years later she is still doing well!
I was on H & P (P a trial drug in my area of UK)until last December. Felt fine on it. Trial started with 15 ladies. I was on it for 2 1/2 years & one of last 3 until bone mets found. To date 2 left on trial. 1 for 4 years ( with multiple mets) & 1 with bone mets only.

TiffanyS 01-16-2017 02:17 PM

When I was first diagnosed, I was told that I would have to take Herceptin for 18 months, which is the standard at my clinic. Once I had my recurrence, and we found out my cancer had spread, they told me I would have to take it for as long as it works. Provided I can handle the side-effects, I don’t mind taking Herceptin every three weeks for the rest of my life. I just can’t wait to be done with the Taxol!

12/15 – First mammogram
06/16 – Start Tamoxifen.
10/16 – Brain MRI – NED!
12/16 – Small “pimple” shows up where old tumour on chest wall was located. Doctor is going to biopsy it in early January to see if it’s cancer.

Juls 01-16-2017 02:27 PM

Yes I know the feeling-
When 1st on Chemo told I would have 6 docetaxol. About the 4th dose my Onc asked if I would do more. I immediately thought it was for a bad reason. Her reply was" no - just belts & braces effect as you have done well on it". I did an extra 2 - wanted to do 9 but my Nurse said 8 enough. I still wish I had done 1 more but probably would have felt that way regardless of totals. No idea if it helped!
I don't mind being on H for good! It's easy to do especially now its just a 4 min injection!

TiffanyS 01-16-2017 02:33 PM

I think I may need a Herceptin break soon. I’ve noticed that my shortness of breath, as well as my cough and chest congestion, have been getting worse lately. My doctor told me last week that she thinks it’s from the Herceptin, based on the results of my last echo test. Since last Tuesday’s dose, I’ve noticed that my shortness of breath has gotten worse. I’m going to have to mention it to my doctor tomorrow, and she may have to give me a break for one or two treatments. I just have to find out if she can still give me the Perjeta without the Herceptin.

12/15 – First mammogram
06/16 – Start Tamoxifen.
10/16 – Brain MRI – NED!

TiffanyS 01-17-2017 11:55 AM

I spoke to my doctor again today about my shortness of breath, and now she’s saying she doesn’t think it’s caused by my heart. She said that my echo test results showed that my heart was only off by one number, and that I’m still good to continue with Herceptin. She told me that the shortness of breath may be caused by the chemo, however, my red blood count was good. She said that my chest congestion and cough could be caused by the Herceptin, or a side effect to the nasal drip I’ve been experiencing due to losing the hair in my nose from chemo. It could also be caused by the cancer in my lymph nodes, however, she doesn’t think that is the case, given the results of my last CT scan. So, while Herceptin is causing some small side-effects, it’s not enough to give me a break from Herceptin.

12/15 – First mammogram
06/16 – Start Tamoxifen.
10/16 – Brain MRI – NED!
12/16 – Small “pimple” shows up where old tumour on chest wall was located. Doctor is going to monitor it for now.

Lauriesh 01-18-2017 06:55 AM

I stopped herceptin after being Ned for 4 years, because of increasing side effects. I have been off all meds for 2 years now and still Ned.

Pamelamary 01-18-2017 11:31 PM

Laurie, well done! - I have just done cycle 75 and am living well, apart from the medicalisation of my world and the ever present sword of Damoclese. Oncologist says why change what's working and I am inclined to agree...... Pam

TiffanyS 01-19-2017 05:55 AM

Pam, are you just getting Herceptin now, or do you still get Taxol with it? If so, how many does of Taxol have you gotten to date, and how are you dealing with it?

12/15 – First mammogram
02/16 – CT scan done – small nodules on lung but Doctor advises it’s post surgical. They will continue to monitor just in case.
03/16 – Start first of six doses of chemo (Carboplatin and Docetaxal) and Herceptin (for 18 months).
06/16 – Start Tamoxifen.
10/16 – Brain MRI – NED!
12/16 – Small “pimple” shows up where old tumour on chest wall was located. Doctor is going to monitor it for now.

Pamelamary 01-19-2017 01:14 PM

Tiffany, just Herceptin and Tamoxifen. I had Docetaxol in 2012, which I found very hard but have been stable since.

Mtngrl 01-19-2017 10:35 PM

I started getting Herceptin in June, 2011. I got it weekly for about three months. After that I got it (or Kadcyla) just about every three weeks--sometimes four week intervals due to travel. So--13 weekly treatments, and then I estimate an infusion an average of every 3.2 weeks, or 86, for a total of 99 and counting. Thanks for bringing this up! On Wednesday I'll call it 100.

I'm not NED (and really haven't been there much.) But I've been pretty stable, and right now I'm doing well. So grateful for Vitamin H and the newer treatments it has generated.

No side effects from the Herceptin alone, except a runny nose and brittle fingernails. My heart is fine, or it was at my last echocardiogram. Life is good.