HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Fasting, colonoscopy NEED ADVICE! (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=59398)

SoCalGal 10-28-2013 02:59 PM

Fasting, colonoscopy NEED ADVICE!

I am finally having a colonoscopy tomorrow morning, to try to find out why the constant, horrible diarrhea, despite being off treatment for 2 months. (No improvement whatsoever.)

This is baby's first colonoscopy, (or ass snaking as I like to call it). What are the tricks/tips to get thru the day of not eating?

I am feeling like utter crap - weak, dizzy, HUNGRY and haven't even started the drink/clean out part. Have had clear broth, orange jello, orange gatorade, smart water. I guess I can have a popcycle but is there a trick to surviving the fast? Anyone drink ensure or boost? I don't have any in the house, what are tolerable flavors?

I cannot believe that I am having to do this - I really tried my best to avoid this test - don't think this is cancer of the colon but it is the first in the ruling out tests, I guess. Don't feel like the clearest thinker right now. Any tricks or tips would be much appreciated...

Coux92 10-28-2013 03:20 PM

Re: Fasting, colonoscopy NEED ADVICE!

Yogurt, ice cream until you need to change to clear liquids will help. I have a history of diverticulitis so I have had two ass snakings as you say. The prep is not fun, I live to eat so it's hard BUT you will be rewarded with the best nap ever! My doc gives proprofal and I now know why Michael Jackson was addicted to it. I was only out for a few minutes but woke feeling as if I had many hours of the best, restful sleep!
Best of luck and I hope you get good results and find an answer to your issues

Andrea Barnett Budin 10-28-2013 04:08 PM

I felt like I was passing out, having had the broth (best from deli -- removed all the good stuff though). Popsicle vile. Jello awful. Apple juice -- mix with water -- sickeningly sweet. Didn't know about ice cream/yogurt.

Sucked on clear candies I found in the back of the pantry, as I was losing consciousness.

Then, I spent -- 8 hrs on/at the toilet. Dehydrating and can't have any water... Not a great plan.

2nd x I moved clean out time to 4 PM.

I am never having another snaking.

Both x I was clear.

Have been off Herceptin for 5 yrs, off hard chemo for over a decade and still have bathroom drama. I am permanently and officially IBS...

Probiotics 3x a day, Wobenzym 1 -- 1/2 hr before eating, Digestive Advantage Gas at night time (excellent), liquid Imodium when I am major trouble.

After last June's surgery's prep (14 straight hrs of hell) -- after 4 mnths I am just getting back to my old IBS self. 4 long mnths of serious insanity w/the Big D. Abdominal surgery and Milk of Magnesia prep'll do that to ya.

Propofol is a wonderful drug.

Then go home and sleep it off.

Expect only good results.

Remember, I love you...

Andi

SoCalGal 10-28-2013 05:33 PM

Thank you coux. And you, too Andi - I have been doing many of what you mention - probiotics daily, wobenzyme with meals, small frequent meal, whole foods, no uncooked greens, then no greens, no fresh fruits except maybe an apple, no wheat and no dairy, and have added in lomotil which makes me depressed and spaced and immodium which gives me a stomach ache and still the poops are non-stop and really making it challenging to keep a normal quality of life. I am so beat up from this that I am not even sure why I'm having the ass snake - really don't think that my symptoms are cancer-ish. And oh yea, I already have cancer so I'm not really worried about cancer - I just want to be able to eat healthy and keep my energy up enough to resume treatment, I guess.
Glad to hear that the propofol is not hard to take - I always feel dizzy and like I can't breathe when I wake up from being knocked out - it seems to take me hours to come to...

Andrea Barnett Budin 10-28-2013 05:56 PM

I totally relate. This condition effects my daily life, leaves me anxiety-ridden re WHERE'S THE NEAREST BATHROOM????

LIQUID Imodium works well for me. The pills not at all. Go figure.

Lomotil wipes you out on so many levels. I don't...

I do take Librax at night, w/my 3rd probiotic (Digestive Advantage IBS) and Digestive Advantage GAS. Helps me get through the night.

For me I have learned -- NO corn to any degree whatsoever. Trigger! No all you mentioned: Greens, fruit, greasy/fried, dairy, nuts...

Liquid I works quickly and stops the cramping. Plus the GAS pill ONLY DIGESTIVE ADVANTAGE and the IBS one.

I take immediate action if I hear gurgling or growling coming from my belly, if I feel crampy! Like getting the headache before it becomes a runaway migraine. Not that I get headaches, but analogy tells the story.

You will be fine.

You may have to take up residence at the toilette for a while. Good books (stack), pen and paper.

Bet you don't even have polyps. I didn't. Twice. I am done w/the snake.

Bleeding from all that toilet paper necessary for me. KY jelly helps enormously. Just saying. It is a godsend.

Are you being picked up? And dropped off?

Good to do it and be done w/wondering.

I think my Zoloft and anti-anxiety (at night) meds help my belly. The stomach is our "other" brain.

Doc used to say it's a mucous issue due to chemo. Eats away stomach lining. But by now, I have regenerated several new stomachs no doubt, and still have the issue.

When you can, drink LOTS of water w/electrolytes. You can pour it into an ice cube tray, if you can find one, and freeze. Then suck on the ice as needed.

Just keep hydrated. That's the biggest danger from all this -- becoming dehydrated. That is life-threatening.

Love to you in LaLa Land from the Land of Yes...

Andi

KDR 10-28-2013 06:13 PM

Hi, all,
Great suggestions. Try coconut water, not milk, just the water. Lots of natural electrolytes. Also Smooth Move tea. I've done it twice (every five years) and it was better the last time round. Wash out evening before, insisted on first morning appointment. You are going to be fine! Best wishes,
Karen

StephN 10-28-2013 07:19 PM

Smooth Move is great for when we need HELP to go, but Flori is having the opposite problem.

When I was readying for a colonoscopy, I just tried to conserve my energy and not be very active for the two days of prep. Napped. Heating pad halped my stomach forget its hungar.

Good luck, and I bet you will be "clean as a whistle" as I was told!

BonnieR 10-28-2013 09:57 PM

I am not understanding your prep routine. Mine was one day of only clear liquids and jello. Chicken broth. Absolutely nothing like Ensure. But it didn't matter once I started drinking that prep liquid crap( pun intended!) That just made me feel bloated and not hungry. And then visiting the bathroom occupied my mind for a fair amount of time. Then I was exhausted and went early to bed
As was said, get the earliest possible appointment
My doc gives some kind of twilight sleep stuff. He swears you are not unconscious but I sure was not aware of a thing until it was over
Keep the faith. You'll be fine. And happy to have it behind you( another pun intended)

SoCalGal 10-28-2013 10:46 PM

Yes, Bonnie - clear only, and okay on boost & ensure. But it is a dairy product and looks very disgusting. So only having gatorade, broth, tea, jello, etc.

I only took one of two ducolax pills, and only drank 1.5 of 2 (32) oz drinks of gatorade plus Miralax. My tummy is very crampy and nothing is left to come out.

Mostly I am anxious and starving. Yes, I've been thru a lot and probably a lot worse, but I just have no reserve left for invasive anything in life. I really was planning on avoiding the ass snake, it is the last unexplored me. Just when I thought I'd suffered maximum humiliation, I find out there is a whole 'nother level to bare.

BonnieR 10-28-2013 11:03 PM

If it makes you feel any better, it's a stealth invasion. Afterwards you will find it hard to believe it even happened. You have endured much, much worse. Keep the faith my friend

BonnieR 10-28-2013 11:05 PM

Can you take some Ativan or something to take the edge off?

Aussie Girl 10-29-2013 03:15 AM

Dear SoCalGirl,

I've had many many colonoscopies. Make sure you put protective cream on your rear end! With the yukky washout fluid, it is important to continue to drink lots of clear fluids but avoid anything with red coloring if possible as it makes it a little more difficult for the doctor to view the gut lining. You should not drink milky products on the last part of the prep!

Drink more clear fluids than they suggest and keep going until the time you have to stop. The colonoscopy prep draws water into your gut and makes you dehydrated (causing dizziness and also a headache afterwards.)

The procedure is OK because they knock you out, but you may feel bloated and crampy afterwards until you are able to pass they use to distend your gut with so they can examine it. It'll all be over soon and hopefully they'll work out what is going on.

Many drugs including NSAIDs (eg. Nurofen) cause diarrhea . Many drugs contain lactose (and occasionally gluten) if you are intolerant of these. Have you looked on the internet about FODMAPs for foods that cause diarrhea in some people.

I wish you good luck. You may feel embarrassed but to the doctors, it's just one more bottom!

Aussie Girl

caya 10-29-2013 07:36 AM

Good luck today Florrie! It will be over before you know it, and I believe they can give you some results instantly.

all the best
caya

StephN 10-29-2013 10:43 AM

Yes, you will have GAS afterwards. But it is because of the air they pump in to open the way for the little one-eyed snake.

I woke up exactly at the end of the procedure. The techs are good at administering just the right amount of drug - I got Versed and something else. Did not have a headache.

SoCalGal 10-29-2013 11:11 AM

I made it! Had Versed (sp?) plus fentinel (sp?)or something sounding like that. Waiting for path report later in week. No cancer. No polyps. Irregular walls of colon. His hunch is some condition from years of treatment side effects. But hopes it will be treatable and that I will feel better. Right now am home, eating and going to sleep some of this grogginess off I hope. No comment from the snake. Some things are better left unsaid...
Thanks for getting me thru this. I was so anxious. Ugh.

jaykay 10-29-2013 11:57 AM

Yea! I'm about a 18 months overdue for my colonoscopy (cancer got in the way). I guess I need to get moving (pun intended)

NEDenise 10-29-2013 01:05 PM

Sorry Flori!
I slept thru your whole ordeal!
I'm so glad everything worked out "in the end" hee hee.
Love and a big hug!
Denise

caya 10-30-2013 07:36 AM

Great news Flori! A happy "ending" for sure! :)

all the best
caya

Andrea Barnett Budin 10-30-2013 09:49 AM

Yay! Told ya -- not even a polyp. My doc commented on how great my prep was (from his end -- too funny). After 8 solid hrs of pooping, ya think?

And, I didn't drink the whole thing!

I am yrs passed my due date for next colonoscopy. Preoccupied w/my thyroid at the moment. Dealing w/the Big D daily/nightly and know if I go to gastro guy he's going to want to investigate. He already pushed my ev 5 yrs to 7 and I have taken still more liberties. As a no polyps ever gal, I am not going there.

Well done, Flori. Happy for it to have ended up as it did. We just can't resist the double entendres can we??

SoCalGal 10-30-2013 11:41 PM

I wish I could hit a "like" button for each post, like on Facebook! I'd "like" each and every reply. BTW I am still feeling pooped out today:)