HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Not a pretty topic, butt... (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=19711)

Lisa 03-15-2005 02:25 PM

Hate to have to inquire, but have any of you had an ongoing case of diarrhea with treatment. I'm on weekly Taxol and have been for weeks. Every 3 weeks we throw in Herceptin, and every 4 we toss in Zometa for good measure.

For three weeks now, I have several days of diarrhea. Thought it was a virus, but not so sure now. This week it's really bad. I'll spare you the details...

Love and light,

Lisa

Pam P 03-15-2005 05:17 PM

I do know someone who had severe diarrhea on taxol. I can't remember, but I think her dose was reduced, then it got better. Sorry I don't know if she stayed on the lower dose or if it was increased again when her body got back in balance.

judiek 03-15-2005 05:54 PM

Hi Lisa,

I have been on weekly taxol for 14 months and no diarrhea for me...maybe occasional if I eat something real rich...mention it to the doctor and see what they say...I do believe this is a side effect...good luck

warmly,

judiek

al from canada 03-15-2005 06:07 PM

Lisa,
Are you taking any narcotic pain killers? The reason I ask is because they constipate but you can also have alternating bouts of (what you have). Linda has that problem as well and for a while I thought it may be herceptin.
Al

Rozebud 03-15-2005 08:47 PM

I had it while on taxotere. Imodium was my friend.....

madubois63 03-15-2005 10:27 PM

Two days every week because of the Taxatiere!!!!

StephN 03-15-2005 11:13 PM

Hi Lisa -
I also had some trouble with loose stool, but not the runny stuff, with Taxotere. Taxol was weekly with navelbine AND Herceptin, but this was not much of a problem for me for all those months.
Thankfully Taxotere was a shorter course since it was prior to my mets. But it was the 3-week dose, so hit me pretty hard each time - very flu-like symptoms.
Hope this too shall "pass."

Lisa in OH 03-16-2005 04:07 PM

Hi Lisa, I had the same problems with Taxol. They reduced my dose from 100 mg. to 70 mg. weekly with Herceptin and Carboplatin. That did help. I am going to start the new drug called Abraxane since I've had 2 recurrences in 2 1/2 years. They are hoping the Abraxane will be better for me with the side effects. I took 2 Immodium as soon as it started and 1 every 2 hours if needed.

Guest 03-17-2005 04:46 PM

Lisa,
You need to take this diarrhea seriously. I had it on xeloda and the nurse told me to double the amount of imodium that the box calls for. I ended up in the hospital for 11 days, 4 of them in ICU. You easly become dehydrated and it takes a lot to get your gut straighten back out. They gave me three shots in the morning and three shots in the evening, in my stomach. And some kind of pills. Even after I came home from the hospital it was over a month before my stools returned to normal. My dr. said it was chemo related. Patty H