HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Herceptin / Tykerb (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Does Tykerb + Xeloda cause headaches and GI issues (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=62663)

supportwife 02-13-2015 10:19 AM

Does Tykerb + Xeloda cause headaches and GI issues

Hi All,

My wife is currently on Tykerb + Xeloda for about 10 days now. For the past 2 -3 days she has complaining about on and off headaches. In addition, she has mild diarrhea and severe heart burn. She has problem swallowing stuff because it gives some sort of acid reflux. Has anybody experienced this? Any suggestions as to how to make it better?

Thanks

kk1 02-13-2015 10:57 AM

Re: Does Tykerb + Xeloda cause headaches and GI issues

Hi;

From my experience with Tykerb and Xeloda at the same time, the side effects you listed are pretty normal as long as they are not extreme.

For the GI issues I found it was better to make sure the Tykerb and Xeloda were taken as far apart in time as rationally possible. I would take my Tykerb very early in the am (like 3am) and then go back to bed.

In the morning I would have breakfast and then about 30min to 1 hour later take the morning Xeloda (2 pills), same thing after dinner for the second 2 pills of Xeloda for the day.

The headaches may come from being dehydrated Tykerb is notorious for that.....I found when I drank 8-12ox of water ever few hours that helped a lot.

Rolaides and immodium we also always nearby. The GI side effect of the Xeloda really peak in day 10-14. She will feel better during the 7 day break.

btw- the pills for both Tykerb and Zeloda are ridiculously large. I found putting them one at a time in a small teaspoon full of jello made them swallowable --grease the skids so to speak. It is a mind over matter thing...after awhile I could do without the jello.

The combo worked very well for me...wishing her the same

supportwife 02-17-2015 10:21 AM

Thanks KK1,

My wife got IV fluids to fight diarrhea and fatigue. She is eating a bit but actually has no appetite. I was not aware that xeloda + tykerb could cause so much issues. She handled FEC better than this.

Is this normal?

Thanks

Mtngrl 02-19-2015 07:50 AM

I haven't had Tykerb and Xeloda together, but I've had them. They both cause diarrhea.

As I've mentioned in some other posts, I have "GERD" (gastroesophogeal reflux disease) from something--one or more of the chemos I've been on. I take Nexium for that (a proton pump inhibitor.) One of the symptoms of GERD is trouble swallowing/lump in the throat. Search GERD on this site if you want more information.

Stay on top of the diarrhea. The weeks I'm on Xeloda I take one Imodium capsule at bed time. Then I take one any time I feel cramping/gas that might be signaling diarrhea. It's not perfect, but it does help. Since Tykerb is taken every day, the "prophylactic" dose of Imodium should probably be done every day.

I think probiotics and L-Glutamine might help with the diarrhea. I'm pretty sure Glutamine helps with neuropathy--another side effect of Xeloda. I take 7 to 14 grams a day.