HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Keeping Your Mind Off of BC (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   Healthy food tip (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=31260)

StephN 11-24-2007 01:01 PM

Healthy food tip

Starting new thread as this is a bit different than cooking and eating ideas. This makes SO much sense as I know most vitamins are fat soluble and we must eat something when we take them to derive the benefit. We often make our own dressing - NOT fat free! http://her2support.org/vbulletin/images/icons/icon7.gif

•Dress Your Veggies
<!-- Full Text (above ad) -- Begin Tracking Section 1 -->

Fat-free dressing may not be the most nutritious choice for your salads. A bit of healthy fat can help raw veggies pack a more powerful nutrient punch, according to research. In a new study, people who ate salads with dressings that had some fat in them absorbed more carotenoids from the vegetables compared to people who used non-fat dressing. Carotenoids are a family of potent antioxidants.
Carotenoids protect against cancer and give fruits and veggies their bright red, orange, and yellow hues. Carotenoids are fat-soluble, which means they require fat in order to be absorbed in the small intestine. Remember, however, that fat is high in calories, so use fat-containing products such as salad dressing in moderation. Also, choose salad dressings with healthy fats, such as olive oil or canola oil, which are unsaturated and have a favorable effect on blood cholesterol levels. In a study, people who consumed salads with equal amounts of spinach, romaine lettuce, cherry tomatoes, and carrots absorbed more alpha carotene, beta carotene, and lycopene from the salads when they used fat-containing salad dressing.
<!-- End Tracking Section 2 --><!-- RealAge Benefit & Search --><!-- Begin Tracking Section 3 -->
<!-- End Tracking Section 1 --><!--(above ad)-->http://www.realage.com/App_Images/Mi..._clear_dot.gif
<!-- tip margin --><!-- tip background -->

StephN 11-24-2007 01:09 PM

Get the most vitamin C from your oranges

One more I thought was interesting.

•The Almighty Orange, Dissected
<!-- Full Text (above ad) -- Begin Tracking Section 1 -->
<YAHOOIGNORE />Orange peel, pulp, or juice: Which one has the most vitamin C?

Orange pulp wins, according to the authors of the book SuperFoods HealthStyle. The pulp has twice as much vitamin C as the peel and 10 times as much as the juice.

Ergo - buy your orange juice with some pulp left in.

PinkGirl 11-24-2007 03:59 PM

If you eat tons and tons and tons and tons and tons of
CHOCOLATE, your feet will get smaller.

Jeanette 11-24-2007 05:46 PM

Pinkgirl

The choclate sounds good, but tell me, is it good old Cadbury's or Hersheys. I prefer the cadbury,s myself. but sad to say my feet are still the same size. LOL , hugs to all, Jeanette

PinkGirl 11-24-2007 06:52 PM

oops

Jeanette,

I think any kind of chocolate will do. It just has to be LOTS of it.

I should have said that your feet will "appear" to get smaller.

Sheila 11-24-2007 07:07 PM

I agree Pink...mine appear to be smaller, but it is because I have eaten so much chocolate, I can't see over my tummy!!!!

PinkGirl 11-24-2007 09:38 PM

me too!

Yes Sheila, the more chocolate I eat, the bigger I get, and the smaller my feet look. If anyone wants smaller looking feet, chocolate is the answer.

Jeanette 11-25-2007 07:35 AM

Chocolate

Maybe , if we just ate white chocolate they would shrink a little. It;s just a thought. My belly isn't get any smaller , so maybe this will do the trick, Jeanette

Believe51 11-26-2007 12:55 PM

Hey PinkGirl....

My feet have not gotten any smaller. Do I need to eat my chocolate with anything to aid the shrinkage?? Please tell!! Tehehe>>Believe51

PS How much chocolate must I need to go from a 8 1/2 to maybe a size 7?????????

Andrea Barnett Budin 11-26-2007 02:11 PM

NEW -- *SUPERFOODS* for health nuts!!

Hi y'all! I start each day with the Today Show on NBC. I get dressed and straighten up listening. This morning there was a segment on 5 new SUPERFOODS. I took notes, thinking of Steph's post. It was all about addressing our need for alternative foods with increased healthful benefits. Of course they did not speak of *chocolate*. Sorry to report...

ACAI is something new appearing in Health Food Stores. It cannot be ingested so you will find it in -- juices, sorbets, concentrates. Sorbets sound sweet, yes?! ACAI is chock full of antioxidants, increases circulation, is an anti-inflammatory, and has twice the power of blueberries and 10X the benefits of pomegranates!! I keep good notes. I, who have had IBS since '98 during and since Taxotere, cannot eat most any fruit, so I take supplements w/the replicated advantages. (Lycopom, by New Chapter, was recommended by my nut onc/guru having the punch of multiple tomatoes and dozens of pomegrtanates, which I cannot ingest, for example. Lycopom is rich in lycopenes and such.)

Another Superfood -- LAVERBREAD, which equals, according to my notes, A SUPER CLEANER. It binds together all the poisons and toxins in your body, rendering them indigestible. Meredith Vierra face didn't look like it was too tasty, but mixed w/something it could be disguised I suppose, to derive the benefits.

Then YERBA-MATE. It's an energy booster that doesn't stress the nervous system the way coffee does. Good for skin, with amino acids and green tea.

CUPUAQU. IT'S IN THE COCOA FAMILY, BUT NOT CHOCOLATE! Close but not the same, I know. It's a melon and -- destroys free radicals! It's high in antioxidants and it touted as -- a curative for whatever ails you. It even cleans out your dietary tract! And is good for your skin.

Tht's 4 Superfoods, I know. The phone rang...

Coming to your local Health Food Store, they say. Me, I'm sticking w/my supplements list... The important thing -- stay well and healthy!!!
Andi http://cdn-cf.aol.com/se/smi/0201e05fca/06

PinkGirl 11-26-2007 02:33 PM

me again ( I can't stop myself )

Believe: You must remember that I corrected my original post.
Eating lots and lots of chocolate will make your feet appear to be smaller. If your body is not getting bigger, your feet will not look smaller, therefore, you are not eating enough chocolate.

Andi: Are you pulling my leg? There is a melon that belongs to
the cocoa family??? Did they say it tasted like a melon, or that
it tasted like chocolate?

Andrea Barnett Budin 11-26-2007 06:00 PM

And It's Good For You!

Ok. CUPUAQU or CUPUAGU, can't read my handwriting. It looks like a melon. It is from the cocoa family! Yes. And -- it is really good for your free radicals, etc., per above.

Now, as a recovered chocoholic, I was never a mocha fan. Different thing entirely to me. Like white chocolate. An insult to my tastebuds which used to crave chocolate. The real deal. Now I do not eat sugar of any kind. Not one bite. Because one bite leads to... You know... And your waist grows larger and you can't see your feet, whatever size they are. So I'm thinking this cocoa family melon isn't, pardon the mixed metaphor, my cup of tea. Tehehe (as per Marie!)...

Worth checking out. Cures whatever ails you. Nature's aspirin in a melon. Cleans out your dietary tract and gives you nice skin... Wasn't that thoughtful of God?
Andi

hutchibk 11-26-2007 06:57 PM

I would just like to suggest DARK chocolate as the healthy way to go. Oh, and I have no problem with the thought of dark chocolate and melon. Sounds like a good combo to me.

PinkGirl 11-27-2007 03:09 PM

indigestion

When I have indigestion, I take Chocolate Tums Smoothies. :cool:

Believe51 11-30-2007 06:18 AM

Hello Steph....

Wanted to know what you had on the glorious AVACADO, it is one of my favorites. Also I know you have posted the Lime Chicken recipe before along with the Salmon but I cannot locate them for some reason. Mind sending them to me if it is not too much of a pain??>>Believe51

Andrea Barnett Budin 11-30-2007 11:07 AM

Excellent Combo

25 yrs ago I had a wedge of avocado with cold cooked shrimp all in a row and russian dressing (mayo and ketchup or you can try chili sauce). Paul and I still talk about it. It was to die for...

Of course salsa w/avocado and tortilla chips is yummy. We sometimes just buy salsa jars (mild, medium and hot). We like medium. Very good.

Andi

Andrea Barnett Budin 11-30-2007 11:09 AM

I meant guacamole w/avocado. OR salsa, blah, blah...

Synapse failure... Sorry.

StephN 12-06-2007 01:58 PM

Chocolate recipes

Hi Believe - have not been to this thread for a while so missed your query. Not sure it was I who posted on the lime chicken and will look on Avocado. We eat them "au naturel" in salads or sliced with good tomatoes with olive oil and balsamic vinegar.

PINK GIRL - and other chocoholics, this is for you. The Epicurious web site is replete with great dessert recipes and many feature your favorite food!

http://www.epicurious.com/recipesmenus/desserts

I had a web site just on chocolate, but the site has moved or gone as the link no longer worked - http://her2support.org/vbulletin/images/icons/icon9.gif

StephN 12-06-2007 02:05 PM

What's in a number? IMPORTANT

Did you know that those annoying little produce stickers have a purpose other then pricing at checkout??

Watch them carefully for the following information:

If you wish to avoid genetically modified produce, avoid any with stickers containing 5 digits starting with an 8.
For ORGANIC items, look for stickers with 5 digits starting with a 9.

What about 4 digits? Just means that the item was commercially grown and is neither organic or genetically modified.

Happy shopping!

Believe51 12-06-2007 02:52 PM

Hey Steph,

Thanks for the information on the labels. As the Late Great Johnny Carson would say: "I did not know thattttt!!". I found that helpful and will pass the word around. We are in charge of what we chose to put in our bodies and same holds true, knowledge is power and we are what we eat.>>Believe51