HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Mets to lungs (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=29135)

tousled1 07-13-2007 08:02 PM

Mets to lungs

Just got the result of my CT scan today and was told I have mets to the lungs. Have an appointment with oncologist next Friday to discuss treatment options. I would appreciate any info as to what treatments are good for lung mets. Thanks.

Chelee 07-13-2007 08:20 PM

Kate, I am sorry about your CT results. I really hate to hear you have to deal with this. My heart goes out to you. But with the very knowledgable women & men on here I know you will get some great advice as how to best attack this. With the boards idea's along with your onc I am sure you will come up with a good trt plan to kick those mets into the twilight zone. I will be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

Chelee

LAURIE 07-13-2007 08:26 PM

Hi, Kate I just got home from work and saw your post. Excuse my language but the first thing I said was damn't. I can not give you advice on treatment but from what I remember you like your doc a lot and trust him. Was your scan routine or did you suspect something through blood work? Please keep us posted on your treatment and keep your chin up. It is so great we have each other. I am not sure if I told you that my brother lives by you. He lives in Acworth, if I remember correctly you used to live there.

Soccermom 07-13-2007 09:40 PM

OH CR*P ,Kate! I am so sorry. Wish I had some good information for you,but I know the others with info will chime in. I can kkep you in my thoughts and prayers, which I will will definitely do!
Marcia

Lolly 07-13-2007 10:06 PM

Kate, I'm sorry to hear this, but you sound ready to fight and beat this back, and that's good.
Knowing what I know now, my first inclination if I were in your shoes, would be to request to be put back on Herceptin and ask your onc to recommend a chemo to add for synergy. Navelbine has worked great for me in the past, and I have a friend who had lung mets go into remission on the combo of Navelbine/Herceptin. Other options would be Abraxane, a platinum such as carbo, or Xeloda. If you can, save the Tykerb for such a time as you need it if Herceptin and chemo doesn't keep things in check.
Just my opinion as to what I would do to stretch out options.

Best of luck. I know you're very disapointed right now, but you can beat these mets back into submission. Hang in there and keep us posted.

<3 Lolly

Belinda 07-13-2007 10:13 PM

Kate - I am so sorry to hear of this. It just isn't fair. I have no advice to offer but many warm wishes to send your way. Belinda - oooxxx

lexigirl 07-13-2007 10:32 PM

No Kate, no! Doggone it!! I am sorry to read this news! Gosh it makes me mad! Were you having symptoms that made you have it checked out? I am sorry that you have to endure another tx, but I am positive that there are many options that will bring you back to NED.

Hugs and Prayers,
Lexi

StephN 07-13-2007 10:36 PM

Success stories

Dear Kate -
You have been SO GREAT in giving support to others - now it is your turn to get some back! Bummer. We are here for you, lady.

But, I recall that Sherryg did very well with Taxotere, Xeloda and herceptin. Maybe she will chime in here or you can send her a message for the details and doses of her treatment. She has been in remission for many months now.

I know you have not been off Herceptin for very long - but it will do its job again.

Beckie 07-13-2007 11:27 PM

Kate,
I was on Taxotere and Herceptin for 6 months for mets to the lungs and liver. They shrunk drastically, and have stayed that way ever since. I know your doctor will have a good plan to beat back the mets, and you'll be in the clear again. It's a good thing you're on top of it! I'll be praying for you.

Beckie

Grace 07-14-2007 01:24 AM

Hi Kate,

I can't sleep thinking about you. But I'm happy to see from all the posts that lungs mets are not a big deal to get rid of, so you should be NED in a short while. Wish I could do more than say sorry. Lots of love and good wishes.

Mary Anne in TX 07-14-2007 01:42 AM

Hi Kate!
Rotten news! Really rotten! Your incredible fighting spirit and the chemo your doctor will add to your herceptin will Just Work! I'll surely be praying for you. You bless everyone so often with your encouragement and advice. Please keep posting what they recommend and each step of your treatment so that we can keep believing with you for powerful, quick response to smashing those new offenders! lots of love, ma

Sheila 07-14-2007 05:40 AM

Kate
It seems so unfair when this disease decides to rear its ugly head...there are so many treatment options right now, it just takes finding the one that works. You are a strong woman, we are all here for you with prayers and love in this new fight....show those mets who the boss is!

tricia keegan 07-14-2007 06:26 AM

Kate I'm really sorry you have to deal with this,and sorry also I don't have any experience or advice to offer you on drugs but I know the one's who do are rallying to your side to help you through this. Keep as positive as you've always been and you'll be rid of these mets before you know it.
((((hugs)))))

RhondaH 07-14-2007 06:58 AM

Kate...

I am SO sorry and will keep you in my prayers. Take care and God bless.

Rhonda

Barbara H. 07-14-2007 07:10 AM

I am so sorry to hear your news, Kate. I would try Navelbine. It has worked for many with lung mets. I'm sure that your oncologist has good ideas about what may work for you. As you know, there are many of us here with stage 4. It is important that you keep up your hope, as you learn to live with this new development.
Best wishes,
Barbara H.

Becky 07-14-2007 07:15 AM

Dear Kate

I am so sorry about the results of your CT scan. You should see what your onc has to say and question the pros and cons of Navelbine versus a taxane drug (both in combo with Herceptin). If your doctor is a partner, you should be able to come to a decision based on joint logic on which way to go.

You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Love,

tousled1 07-14-2007 07:43 AM

I want to thank everyone for their support. This is such a bummer! I have now joined the Stage IV club -- a little sooner than I anticipated though.

I have a great oncologist and have complete trust and confidencein her. I was the one who requested the CT scan. The reason I requested it was that was HER2 serum went from 7.1 up to 9.5 -- still well below the "normal" of 15. Also my tumor marker went up from 15.3 to 30.1 -- again below the 'Normal of 35. I'm just glad that my onc ordered the scan because we caught the mets early.

I don't know all the details on the mets -- how large or how many but will have that info on Friday. I'm also asked her to send me for a brain MRI since I haven't had one since last July.

You women have been such a great support to me for the last eyar and a half and I'm happy that I have you guys to depend on while I go through my next regime. I will keep you posted.

tousled1 07-14-2007 07:53 AM

I know you will fight this mommy! we'll kick this to the curb! love you...

jennifer

Joy 07-14-2007 08:21 AM

I second the damn't! I was really surprised to see this post, Kate and I'm just so sad and frustrated for you. Ugh, this stupid disease! HOWEVER you have gotten great advice here and yes we are here and you CAN depend on us. I will be anxious to hear what your onc recommends and remember this will be a 'first-line metastatic treatment' that is good as the right combo can really kick thos stupid spots. Search the forums for lung mets and treatments and if you are up for it-you are a great researcher, but if you want others to do it, just ask-google first line treatments for bc lung mets and see what happens, or look at some late phase trials, but there are good treatments for this.

I'm looking forward to hearing what you decide and how you are doing and I'm sending you great success vibes!

Love to you and yours!

rinaina 07-14-2007 09:31 AM

Oh Kate, I just hated hearing your latest news. This disease is definitely unpredictable at any given time. Darn it. Keep up your positive spirit and continue to fight this with every ounce of strength you have. I wish you success in finding the right treatment and in fighting these lung mets. You and your onc were so on top of things and so wise to get that ct scan. Good lesson for all of us to make sure we keep our oncs and ourselves on our toes.