HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Remembering Chrisy (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57953)

NEDenise 04-29-2013 08:46 AM

Remembering Chrisy

4 Attachment(s)
Already, I feel the gaping hole left by Chris.
Her humor, wisdom, kindness, advocacy...but mostly the loving spirit.

Some things I plan to remember...

Right after my brain mets were found, Chris's reaction was almost as angry and filled with profanity as mine! Her response made me feel justified I guess...but it also cracked me up!

Once, during another 'rough time' for me...I posted about checking in here "with my peeps". Chris's response was, "Denise, I will always be proud to count myself among your peeps". Now, instead of my pounding on heaven's gates for her...I picture her whispering in the Lord's ear...on MY behalf. And...she will always be one of my peeps too!

Another time...I started a thread called "You Know You're a Breast Cancer Survivor When..."
Chris, always up for a good giggle...was following the thread...and then she came up with the funniest post of all:

You Know You're a Breast Cancer Survivor When...

Your Her2buddy tells you to take ammonia daily to help with drug side effects and your only question is "How much and do I drink it or put my feet in it?"
(Then you find out her phone spell-checker changed "immodium" to "ammonium")

I laughed so hard...the tears were rolling down my cheeks!

Our Chrisy...
Always willing to provide encouragement.
Full to the brim with knowlege about treatment options and how to access them.
And, thoroughly devoted to this board, and her HER2 brothers and sisters.

I know the joy was great when she crossed over. Her friends and loved ones were as excited to see her arrive as we all are devastated to let her go.

In my small way (I'm certainly no Chris) I'll try to carry on her work...and toward that end...I've made a memorial donation to our beloved HER2 site, in her name. What better way to honor and remember her...so there will always be a place for people like her...to meet people like us.

Love you Chris! And miss you so much already.
Denise

caya 04-29-2013 11:11 AM

Re: Remembering Chrisy

I will never forget dear Chrisy. So sad to hear the news of her passing, she was such a Warrior Woman. Full of optimism, and hope.

May her family know how much she was loved by many of us here on this board.

Rest in peace, sweet Chrisy.

all the best
caya

sarah 04-29-2013 12:15 PM

sad news indeed. my condolences to her family and friends.

jra40 04-29-2013 12:50 PM

What a nice post Denise. I did not know Chrisy but loved reading her posts - she was full of life and humor. I cried last night when I saw she passed away. I do not post much and have become a lurker but seeing another loss of a beautiful woman just really devestated me. I thought about all the others we have lost and it just shakes me to the core.

I remember when I got first diagnosed and all my medical team put a positive spin on it by saying we had these amazing drugs. Yes we do, but reality is that cancer knows no boundaries and still robs us of so much.

Praying everyday for a cure to cancer so we do not have to lose anymore. Chrisy will be with all our other angels helping us in the fight!

All my condolensces to Chrisy's family - a huge loss for everyone.

jaykay 04-29-2013 02:50 PM

Oh Denise - really nice post in memory of Chris.

Although I've been a lurker way longer than a card carrying member of this board, I remember reading her posts for years and marveling at the kindness and strength of Chris and everyone else on this board (you included Denise!).

Cancer sucks

Best,
Janis

StephN 04-29-2013 03:15 PM

Thanks, Denise -
There is just NO softening the blow.

I was trying to find a photo from our January 2008 trip to Miraval Spa near Tucson.

Chris and I shared a casita for 4 nights, so I had a chance to get to know her better. Yes, we had just a FEW laughs! She had an MRI on the way to the airport, and was quite nervous about waiting for results into the next week. Her liver was already acting up, she had met NED for a time and was wanting to hold that status with all her might!

The lady in red on the left is Karen (StillHere) who organized the group. Chrisy is next in white, and Sherri (from Vancouver, B.C.) and I are to the right. Chrisy was gesturing how much she enjoyed the wonderful dinner we had just eaten. Food was one of Chrisy's favorite things. I was trying to think where I could get a decent slice of Chicago style pizza around here!

http://her2support.org/vbulletin/att...1&d=1202019125

Barbara H. 04-29-2013 03:24 PM

My thoughts go out to Chrisy's family. I was just heartbroken to hear this news. We were pioneers of the The TDM-1 trail, and when she continued on the trial into the third year, I just expected her to live for many years. Chrisy was so supportive of all of us; her loss must be devastating to those who knew her personally. She is one of those unforgettable angels, both here and beyond.
Barbara H.

ElaineM 04-29-2013 03:59 PM

Thanks for remembering Chrisy with memories, and photos. I will miss her too. I like to think she is having a reunion with our other her2 angels where they are organizing a branch somewhere in the ever after.
My sympathies to Chrisy's family.

chekmark 04-29-2013 04:57 PM

I didn't know Chrisy, wish I had she sounds amazing but I am still so sad about this. I don't even know what to say, she touched so many hearts. May she rest in peace and may the grace of god help her family thru this tragic loss of their sweet angel.

europa 04-29-2013 05:32 PM

I have been off of the board for a while and just read this devastating news. I was left speechless and now I am overcome with sadness. But I am happy for Chrisy as she is now in Heaven making everyone laugh.

Mary Jo 04-29-2013 05:47 PM

Thank you for that, Denise. That was beautiful. Chrissy would have loved it!

karen z 04-29-2013 07:04 PM

Thanks so much Denise. I have been thinking a lot about Chrissy, who was an amazing, tough, bright and funny woman. So many of these pictures bring up very specific memories and it is wonderful to see pictures I have not seen (thanks Steph). Please everyone...........keep posting pictures and memories. One of my favorite pics here is the one in which Chrissy appeared on stage for the panel discussion. Boy, I remember her working on what she was going to say (we tried to leave her alone for awhile) and our discussions of where to get good "tops" for under jackets (the Macy's mall). Chrissy was so proud to be up on that panel and represented all of us well. We were so excited to see her up there- it was a big deal. Again, please keep posting pictures and share memories----------it helps a lot. All of C's pictures bring a smile to me as I remember her strength and bravery......and wit.

suzan w 04-29-2013 07:53 PM

So sad to lose my birthday twin...7-11

KsGal 04-29-2013 10:24 PM

That's a lovely tribute to Chrisy, Denise. Thank you for posting it.

Redwolf8812 04-30-2013 05:16 AM

She always said the exact thing I needed to hear to feel better. Always.

- Penny

StephN 04-30-2013 12:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Another pic of Chrisy prior to going "on stage" at the Genentech Advocates Briefing, as mentioned by karenZ. This is San Antonio Breast Cancer Symposium December 2011.

Chris on left with Debra Druther (Joe & Christine's oldest daughter) listening closely to someone at the end of the exhibit hours.

Adriana Mangus 04-30-2013 01:33 PM

Love your post Denise!

I, too miss Chrissy's humor and determination to not let this beast take over her beautiful spirit. I'm sad for Chrissy, her husband, sister and her entire family, also sad for us; until there is a cure we must continue the fight against this dreadful disease. There is so much being done but it hurts to see thousands of lives being lost to not just breast cancer, but other types of cancer.

Our government should set aside not millions, but billions of dollars to fund research and work side by side with pharmaceutical companies to find a cure for cancer, period!

Love to all my sisters,

Adriana

Cat 04-30-2013 02:35 PM

Beautiful tribute Denise.
I haven't been around much but I have read many posts by Chrisy and it is so sad to lose her and her funny but informative information. She will truly be missed.

karen z 04-30-2013 02:46 PM

Steph,
Great picture of Chrissy and Debra! I remember that day so well and also our excitement at seeing and hearing Chris on stage............like it was yesterday. Very nice close up shot of both Chris and Deb........seriously listening.

Becky 04-30-2013 07:12 PM

I am in disbelief that Chrisy is gone. I have been off the board for several days and I am heartbroken. She and Sheila are looking down over us now while having some chocolate martinis. What a blast I had with those two buzzing around with our Her2Support group booth and our brain shaped stress "squeeze" balls. Good times but I am still so sad that there will not be new memories with them. We have to also remember that Chrisy was a real pioneer. She tried so many trial drugs and was in so many studies. She did these not only for herself but for all Her2+ women. Trials, IMHO, are heroic work. I am very sad tonight and I am thinking about Chrisy and all of you.