HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Life is a celebration of that which we can do (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=55047)

fullofbeans 07-09-2012 06:09 PM

Life is a celebration of that which we can do

'Life is a celebration of that which we can do, not a requiem for that which we can not do'

I just wanted to let you know that despite my face edema and the blood clot and risk involved (not medically insured) I did go to my friend's wedding in Turkey and I had a fabulous time. My face is still causing me pain when I look at it, but hey it is another experience I suppose.

Many time I have felt sad and TV marketing and facebook makes you feel as if you have little to hold on to comparatively to you peers.. it is easy to feel like a looser:no financial securities..no health.. no lover or perfect family and behaved children). My friends all seem to be going on to better and greater things and I feel that in all that time I have been surviving,

Instead one should always celebrate what it is he can do: I have survived almost 7 years with metastatic cancer and left no stone unturned, I have learned a lot, mostly about myself and I can still stand straightwith love and compassion in my heart. You all have amazed me on this board and show so much spirit, thank you for I was learning.

suzan w 07-09-2012 08:51 PM

Re: Life is a celebration of that which we can do

Hey FOB!!! What a great post! You have an incredibly positive attitude and are a real fighter!!! We will always cherish the time we met in Seattle and went out to lunch...with Alaska Angel!!! All any of us have is this very moment and we better darn well make the most of it!!! XOX Suzan and Bette

StephN 07-10-2012 12:31 AM

Good for you for making that trip to Turkey. That is one place I have not been any where near and WANT to go - for any reason.

That is part of the learning - we are NOT the same person we were before cancer and looks is part of that.

I look around and see poeple far worse off than I am, or was when I was on so many chemos, and feel thankful for what I have left and can grow in other ways.

Sure hope they can do smething about your clot soon. T-DM1, kick it for our friend beans!

Jackie07 07-10-2012 02:43 AM

Yes! Celebrate life!

Glad you made back from the trip safely. Hope the edema will go down soon.

AlaskaAngel 07-11-2012 09:01 AM

FOB,

Your path has been one of the harder ones here, beginning at a much younger age, when hopes are so high for the future that is in front of you. Your candid sincerity says so much about you. I can still see you, in the Seattle darkness of a rainy parking lot, holding out a bouquet of friendship. You are forever beautiful to me. I am so glad some of us met in person.

A.A.

Mary Jo 07-14-2012 08:41 AM

Dear sweet lady....regarding your comment........ "it is easy to feel like a looser:no financial securities..no health.. no lover or perfect family and behaved children)." - man, oh man, then we are all loosers.....yes? Who of us has the perfect life? People like to perceive themselves as having it all together (me included and not that I mean too but I think we don't like to bog everyone else down with our problems) but really, do any of us, have it all together I mean? Regardless of what "issues" we have.......poor health, no financial security, kids we raised who don't "turn out" as we planned...or whatever it is we all could be classified as "loosers" I suppose...HOWEVER, like you, I rejoice and celebrate each day the Good Lord gives. One day, this all as we know it, will be gone.....and there will be no more worries....no more what ifs.....no more disappointments no more thinking of ourselves as less than God created us to be.

I loved your post...and really makes one think. Love ya "sister!" You are on the right track and life as you know it is all you've got so YES, BY ALL MEANS....CELEBRATE IT!

Mary Jo

KDR 07-14-2012 01:50 PM

FOB,
Did you develop your clot while on T-DM1?
Karen

schoolteacher 07-16-2012 05:04 AM

Glad to hear from you, FOB.

Amelia

karen z 07-16-2012 05:33 AM

What a wonderful post and one that many of us can relate to (more than you might think).
I have heard that Turkey is beautiful and hope to go to one day. Very happy you made the trip. Good for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You are right about everything- stay strong.

SoCalGal 07-16-2012 02:33 PM

GREAT inspirational post...I needed that today. Thank you FOB!

fullofbeans 07-18-2012 04:06 PM

I am glad many of you liked my post, I think I was almost posting it to myself. Indeed Mary Jo nothing is perfect. That said our worse enemy is our mind; and the word looser is not anodyne, well noticed. With cancer there is a significant part of society/alternative that feel that one is responsible for their cancer. I remember one of these therapist once asking me 'is there any reason why the cancer would serve you and you are holding on to it'. Truth my mum think it is my fault and once asked the oncologist I was visiting in France if it was not generated from my head.. it does not help and indeed would conjure the word looser.

there are a lot of broken dreams for everyone on this board . but indeed Alaskan Angel I do also think that being diagnosed younger brings more grief and for me the lack of family which I so wanted, and for those having children missing on the growing up and wanting to be there for them. There are always people worse off, I am able to write, eat and have a roof on my head.. that said we mostly and unconsciously compare oneself to our peer (friends/neighbour/family members), we are biologically meant to do that, which is why the younger bit is also difficult.. it is a hard for one to stop, but worth concentrating on and be aware, as peace can only be found in one's mind.

I have asked again to see if they can do something about my face edema and I am waiting to hear.. Thank you all and glad to have met some of you on this board, a great pleasure it was.

Ellie F 07-19-2012 02:55 AM

Hi Fob
Firstly I am glad you have asked again about your facial oedema and hope you get a positive outcome.I know how difficult trying to get any action on the NHS is, you often have to push and push!
The lost dreams are really hard to come to terms with, I guess most people cruise along with a sort of expectation of what their life will bring, then you get bc and suddenly you're fighting for your life and non of the future in your head is certain anymore.
Nobody has directly blamed me for getting bc but I have to admit that I often run questions through my head about why me? Maybe the cause will turn out differently for all of us and have many factors. Today I read the post about mental health issues increasing the risk,did the fact that I was stressed due to a serious life incident contribute to my bc? Did I eat the wrong food, was it chemicals or as a therapist suggested 'a cancer prone personality' who knows!
I try to live in the 'now' as much as possible but its hard going sometimes as I think we're designed to think back and ahead for our survival as a species.
Please keep us posted.
Ellie

Joan M 07-19-2012 07:24 PM

FOB,

Well put. Something else cancer survivors have to bear when somebody thinks that we got cancer because of negative thoughts.

I always love the pic of your dog! It makes me smile.

Joan