HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Bleeding from Good Breast (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=64274)

jra40 12-14-2015 06:25 AM

Bleeding from Good Breast

All, really need some feedback here. I found that my left breast (the good one) is bleeding from the nipple. I am so scared that this is cancer again, I don't know how it could not be. I'm scheduled for a mammogram and ultra sound tomorrow. Has anyone had this and it checked out to be just hormones or something?

Feel sad since I just celebrated my 5 year from diagnosis and was just reclaiming my life again.

Jessica

Carol Ann 12-14-2015 09:08 AM

Re: Bleeding from Good Breast

Hi Jessica, I am so sorry this is happening to you. :( Having said that, please please pleae insist on a biopsy of the nipple for Paget's disease (cancer of the nipple, rare). Mine was initially misdiagnosed as an infection and initially seemed to react positively to the antibiotic. It started out as a green discharge then became bloody later. But it can have several different types of discharges. I was fortunate to have a surgeon who had just seen it in another patient the same week (what are the odds?! It is rare.)

Feel free to PM me if you'd like.

Carol Ann

MaineRottweilers 12-14-2015 10:29 AM

Keeping you in my prayers. Good thoughts for a lot of worry for nothing.... keep us posted.

thinkpositive 12-14-2015 01:44 PM

Jessica,

I have no experience with the symptoms that you are experiencing. However, it does seem that there are many reasons that this could be happening that have nothing to do with cancer. Lets hope that is what is going on with you. Try not to worry. Harder said than done I know.

Take care,
Brenda

caya 12-14-2015 02:53 PM

Jessica I also have no experience with your symptoms, but I'm glad you are getting this checked out tomorrow. Insist on a breast MRI too if needed.
Just wanted to offer my support and prayers that this is nothing sinister.

all the best
caya

Lucy 12-14-2015 07:26 PM

I'm sorry you're having to deal with this but I'm glad you're having it checked out. Not knowing and waiting is the worst. I'll add my prayers to others for a good outcome. Let us know how it turns out. (sending cyber hugs)

Kkmom 12-14-2015 08:22 PM

Jessica,
So glad you are getting this checked out. My mother had Paget's Disease. Insist on a definite reason for the bleeding. In the past, when I have mentioned to nurses my mother having Paget's Disease they had never heard of it.
Pam

agness 12-14-2015 09:48 PM

Another person posted on Inspire.com who is having bloody discharge too last night. Damn!

You should definitely go get it looked at. I'm thinking that the imaging needs to include diagnostic ultrasound but the newer developing standard is for a diagnostic MRI. Can you get one?

There are other conditions such as papillomas that can cause bleeding so the jury is still out but you are rightfully upset and concerned about this development.

Here's the article I found:

Breast MRI in Patients with Unilateral Bloody and Serous-Bloody Nipple Discharge: A Comparison with Galactography
http://www.hindawi.com/journals/bmri/2015/806368/

Keep us posted.

jra40 12-15-2015 07:45 AM

Again, I am so thankful for this website and all of us that watch out for each other! Really glad Paget Disease was mentioned, I have never heard of this and will make sure to mention it when we find out the results.

Thank you for the prayers and answering my thread - I will keep you all posted on what the tests show today.

Jessica

MaineRottweilers 12-15-2015 05:04 PM

Have you heard anything yet, Jessica?

jra40 12-15-2015 05:13 PM

I had the mammogram and ultra sound this afternoon. Mammogram was good but the doctor seemed perplexed with the ultra sound. She came into the room and pressed around my breast to see the blood and where it was coming from. She did some of the ultra sound, said there was thickening and some debris in the ducts? She is pushing me to an MRI. No answers which has me a bit concerned. I'm guessing it's not a good sign but I have to stay positive until we get some answers. Thank you for checking in on me!

Lucy 12-15-2015 05:47 PM

It sounds like the doctor is being thorough, which is a good thing. I wouldn't automatically assume it was a bad sign that there are no answers yet. Having said that, I know all too well that waiting and not knowing is the hardest part and our imaginations can run amock until we have answers . . . and a plan. Do you know how soon will you be able to get in for the MRI? I hope you get answers soon and that it's a non-serious, easy fix.

Carol Ann 12-15-2015 08:01 PM

Just checking in ... glad they are being thorough but I know this waiting totally sucks.

We are all waiting right along with you, (((Hugs)))

Carol Ann

Pat94 12-15-2015 09:31 PM

Hi. My 1st symptom was a bloody discharge from my nipple. My family Dr. thought it was an infection; the majority of time it is. He also referred me to a surgeon who did more tests. In the end, it was a benign papilloma. It didn't show on a diagnostic mammogram or on a sonogram. It did finally show on an MRI. It turned out there was a cancer nearby as well but it was so small it didn't show at all. Luckily, it was in the margin of the tissue excised for the papilloma. It is definitely scary and many doctors aren't well versed in Paget's Disease. My surgeon did not do a biopsy like he should have on the initial surgery but did on the 2nd one. That proved Paget's as well. Any way, I am glad you are being checked. Make sure your nipple is biopsied. They can test the fluid as well if they draw any out. That didn't work for me though. It just wouldn't send out a single drop. We are all pulling for you. Let us know how it turns out.

jra40 12-16-2015 10:10 AM

Thank you again for the replies and thoughts - so helpful to me! My breast surgeon is ordering a ductogram. I do not want to do this!!! Seems so painful, I was hoping for an MRI. Anyone have this procedure???

agness 12-16-2015 11:21 AM

Send her that article I posted above. The surgeon is proposing an older standard - galactography. You can decline and say you want an MRI.

Pat94 12-16-2015 03:49 PM

I agree with Agnes. An MRI is much better.

suzan w 12-17-2015 05:01 PM

Seems to me that you are doing your best to insist on what's best for you. Keep at it..!!! We must continue to advocate for ourselves!

StephN 12-17-2015 11:44 PM

Keep advocating for yourself. Sometimes it is not pleasant to insist, but that is important at this stage of your situation. Be firm if you want an MRI.

Catherine 12-20-2015 07:50 AM

An MRI plus the ductogram? (I have no idea what this is). Hopefully you will have a clear picture soon.
Love and hugs, Catherine