HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   taxol & avastin & short of breath??? (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=35786)

Pam P 09-26-2008 02:10 PM

taxol & avastin & short of breath???

I've been on taxol & avastin since May. I have bone mets. The combo is working - ca2729 has come down almost 500 pts.

The issue is for the last month or so I've been noticing shortness of breath & it seems to be getting worse -- or I'm more obsessed with it -- not sure which.

This chemo has caused my hemoglobin to be quite low - last time 8.9. also my b/p has risen to the point where I might have to go on b/p meds.

Has anyone had shortness of breath with taxol or avastin? From low hemoglobin or high b/p?

Maybe pleural effusions? I had that as a result of taxotere. I needed thoracentisis 4 times, but no cancer cells found in the fluid. Do people get p/e from taxol?

I don't think it likely to be lung met with my tumor markers coming down. Could it be heart related?

I see my oncologist next week & will certainly ask him. But I'd like to know if you've had this on this chemo ... and what you think could be going on.

Thanks. Pam

SoCalGal 09-26-2008 04:19 PM

Hi Pam-
I am not a doctor but I know that a very common sign of low red blood cell count is shortness of breath. That said to perhaps alleviate some worry - I also think you should call your onc and tell them what's going on!

For me 8 or 9 is very low and I would become symptomatic.

I used to tell when my red count was low from the following signs:
mild heart palps
feeling easily out of breath
no "color" on the insides of my hands - very pale overall look (when you press on the palms as an example - no color change)
pale face
excessive thirst - dry mouth
no energy

These can all be signs of other things too so it's very important to check in w/your actual doc:)

To help boost red blood:
Eat dark green leafy things (spinach/broccoli/kale)
eggs
Beets
Beans
Red meat (Organic grass fed is best for red family)

feel better!
Flori

Mary Anne in TX 09-26-2008 04:19 PM

Pam, I had shortness of breath the entire time I was on taxol. Went away afterwards. ma

Pam P 09-26-2008 05:40 PM

Thank you Flori & Mary Anne - you've relieved my mind from racing. Chemo & hemoglobin symptoms is probably it. I will tell my dr. next week.

Sheila 09-27-2008 05:54 AM

Pam
I agree with Flori in that your hemoglobin is low enough to cause symptoms of low red blood cells...shortness of breath, easily fatigued,aching muscles....that said, I have also been experiencing shortness of breath, and I have been on Taxol for 15 months...my blood counts have been fine the whole time, the lowest has been 11.4, which is really good. I am also on Herceptin, so I just had another muga and it was fine (Herceptin can cause SOB of the LVEF gets too low)...but then you add in the mix of Avastin...although I didn't feel short of breath when I was on the Taxol Avastin, my B/P got so high I had to go on meds and am still on them 9 months after being off the Avastin. I was on it for 6 months...had a zillion nosebleeds....it worked but was very hard on my system. Hope this helps...do let your Dr. know....my next step is a chest CT....my shortness of breath only lasts about 3-4 days after treatment them I feel fine.....I really don't know!

Pam P 09-27-2008 07:29 AM

Sheila -- Thank you for replying with your info. I always follow your experiences as you've done the taxol/avastin too. Frustrating to hear the b/p meds are still needed. Also frustrating to hear you couldn't get into the mcc-dm1 trial. Did you find out about the possibility in a new location? I didn't qualify last spring, but I'm going to ask my onc. if we can try for the new one that opened.

Pam P 09-29-2008 06:29 PM

update of breathing issues

I 'm still having shortness of breath - maybe even worse in last couple of days. I had labs today & hemoglobin was slightly better up to 9.3 from 8.9 last week. So that could rule out the cause for the breathing issues. I had a chest x-ray & that didn't show anything either. Next I'm to get a ct scan hopefully Tues. I saw the nurse practioner today & she didn't think it heart related, but said maybe if the ct didn't show anything that a muga would be next. I see my onc. on Thurs.

A friend asked me about thyroid - I would never have thought of that. If that's too low (or high?) perhaps that could cause the shortness of breath she thought. I've never had thyroid issues, but I'll ask for a blood test for that.

Has anyone had any experience with thyroid issues/breathing issues while on chemo?

Thanks.