HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Adriamycin (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=41051)

sally 09-11-2009 04:39 PM

Adriamycin

Hi, I haven't been on for a while. I have been sick all summer trying to handle Gemzar/Tykerb. It stopped working for me and now I have more progression in the liver spine and chest lymphnodes. I just started Adriamycin (spelling?) I'm 3 weeks on and one week off. I would love to hear any input on side effects, hair loss, anything you have to offer. I've had 2 doses so far. I more dose and I will complete my first cycle. I'm not sure how many cycles I will get before my next scan. I have been lurking and keeping up on everyone. I just haven't logged on or posted in a while. I have been depressed over our latest angels this past year or so. I'm trying to get a little more positive and came here for some encouragement. Hope to hear from you soon. Take care. Sally

Jackie07 09-11-2009 05:16 PM

Re: Adriamycin

Sally,

Thanks for the update. I started taking a low dose (20 mg) antidepressant (citalopram) August 30 and it seems to have helped. I think I am so used to be outdoors (getting plenty of sunlight and exercise) and these many years of staying indoors probably had depleted my Vitamin B12.

Adriamycin is a pretty strong medicine. I did not have it because I had already had pretty low MUGA score to begin with because of my congenital heart valve condition. The doctor replaced it with epirubicin and it worked fine. I only ended up having to quit after 22 weeks of TCH when I had the recurrence 4 years later (the first operation was not 'clean' and all the doctors, scans had missed the sign.)

My advice would be: "stay active and do regular exercise to keep your heart strong..."

sassy 09-11-2009 07:55 PM

Hello Sally,

I started losing my hair about two weeks after my first Adri/Cytoxin. Low white counts were a side effect that was treated with Neulasta shots following each treatment. I had a lot of muscle and bone aches; probably bone aches were from Neulasta.

Hope you do well on this treatment.

Laurel 09-11-2009 08:16 PM

Sally,

Adriamycin is no fun, that's for certain. I lost my hair, but not my lashes or brows from it. The taxol took those! Hair is a minor thing if the old "red devil", adriamycin, gets you back to NED! You sound like a real fighter. I wish you luck and great results from the regime!

Ellie F 09-12-2009 03:36 AM

Hi
I also lost all my hair on Adriamycin but not my eyebrows or eyelashes, they just thinned a bit. i was also very tearful and down for about a week in between treatments. I noticed some bone and joint pain also. sickness was managed by Zofran but I got quite bad indigestion but this was relieved by a simple antacid tablet.
Hope this helps
ellie

nitewind 09-12-2009 07:10 AM

Hi Sally,
I started off with Adriamycin and Cytoxin mixture. 4 treatments. Had a bad time at first until they slowed down the infusion, seems they were giving it to fast. Once they slowed it, it was a little easier to take. I had a lot of pain at the time, but I think it was from the Neulasta shot that I had to have after my A/C treatment. I lost my hair about two weeks after my first treatment.
My best thoughts are with you, you'll come thru it just fine, I'm sure.
Hugs

ammebarb 09-12-2009 07:52 AM

Hello Sally. I am the sister of a wonderful gal who was diagnosed in March. She just finished four rounds of AC. She was told that she'd certainly lose her hair, so she shaved it, but there is still a lot of "bristle". Her brows and lashes are thin. She had a rough week out of every three, and then started to perk up again. Not fun, but doable. She's now doing Taxol and Herceptin on a weekly basis. I hope that you have minimal side effects, while the "red devil" blasts those miserable bad cells all to @%**!

Barb A.

Patb 09-12-2009 10:38 AM

I took adriamycin/cytoxin for four months. I did
lose my hair on the 17th day. I felt fine most of
the time until my counts went down and then they
gave me the neulasta shot which was bad for me.
Bone ache and pain. It lasted two days. It did help
my counts but fatigue was an issue toward the end
but all in all not bad
Best of luck to you that this will be the chemo for
you. It is a strong one.
patb

tricia keegan 09-12-2009 03:55 PM

Sally, I found this the toughest of all myb tx's but still do able!
I did lose my hair on the 17th day too, but it's known to have good results as it's quite aggressive and I hope it does for you too:)

Cal-Gal 09-12-2009 05:08 PM

Hello Sally,
I had 6 treatments of Adriamyician, Cytoxan and Taxotere-finished last June-after 2 weeks off--started Herceptin(weekly for one year)

I was told that this is the real strong stuff that kills the bad guys--I pretty much had SE's already noted by our sisters--the only other lasting effect has been some vein issues in my upper arm--they are sore and upper arm get's swollen--the onco nurses say it is the Adria---but should get better over time---

Good Luck to you--my thoughts and prayers are with you---

sally 09-12-2009 05:18 PM

I would like to thank eveyone for such quick replies to my concerns. I really haven't noticed many side effects yet but it's only been about 12 days since my first dose. I think my doses are small. 20mg ? pushed in my IV by hand over about 10-15 minutes. I also get Aloxi and 10mg of decadron. I did get a Zometa this time also. I am still recovering from the Gemzar. I think that drug really hurt me in many ways. I should have complained about my symptoms sooner but I figured if my blood was up to it then I should suck it up and do it. I should have listened to my body and spoke up. Live and learn. Thanks again and would love to hear more personal experiences with this drug. Take care and stay strong, Sally

Ruth 09-12-2009 05:31 PM

Sally,
I hope that Adriamycin wipes out your problem spots. It is really strong stuff. I felt ok after the first treatment but then it started to make me really light headed and had pretty bad issues with thrush and mouth sores. I would try to suck on ice during the infusions or popscicles. I think most people do lose their hair. Mine fell out pretty fast. I did feel weak with this drug but it only usually lasted a few days then I was able to move around pretty good.
Glad you came back here. Everyone here is wonderful and will help you in anyway they can.
Sending lots of hugs ~ Ruth

Joan M 09-14-2009 01:39 AM

Sally,

Sorry to hear about your progression.

I had Adriamycin and Cytoxan, followed by Taxol and Herceptin, which was pretty standard in 2003.

Oncs are phasing out the use of Adriamycin lately. However, it has been used for many years and hopefully will be the silver bullet to control the mets.

Joan

whatz 09-14-2009 04:18 AM

I was on Adriamycin/Cytoxan for four treatments (three weeks spaced). Lost my hair 16 days after first treatment. My main problem was constipation the first 3-4 days after treatment (took Senna to help with that) and a lot of fatigue (had treatments on Thursday and usually slept part of Saturday and most of Sunday). By Monday things would slowly start normalizing again (one day at a time). I found the treatments to be cumulative on me though i.e. it took just a tad longer to bounce back after each treatment than the previous one. All in all it was very do-able though not my most favorite thing :-). I had no problems with nausea at all. My doc had me on Zofran/Decatron/Emend regiment that worked extremely well for me. Best wishes to you! This too shall pass :-)

Colleens_Husband 09-14-2009 08:03 AM

Sally:

AHDubose is 100 percent correct about adrianycin having a cumulative effect. Colleen really started to ratchet downwards after each treatment. Adriamycin seems to have the worst side effects of any of the chemo drugs but it is a serious cancer killing medicine. Get through these treatments any way you can and, God willing, the adriamycin will kill your cancer.

Sally, I know these are difficult times for you. You will be in our prayers.

Lee

Brenda_D 09-14-2009 09:01 AM

I had 4 Adriamycin and Cytoxin. It was very hard on me, but I know it helped kick cancer behind.
I lost my hair starting at day 17, had mouth sores and thrush at about treatment 3, had bad stomach acid, food and water tasted terrible (although I did not lose a pound), I had massive fatigue, constipation, hemorrhoids, sleep problems, and more. For 3 months or more, I just crawled from the bed to the bathroom and back.
But as bad as it is going through it, it's like having a baby. Bad at time, but as time goes by, the memory fades.
It's worth doing to hit the BC as hard as possible.

suzan w 09-14-2009 06:04 PM

Adriamycin...ugh!!! Lost hair, everywhere. It is strong stuff, but effective! What's a little hair when it kills cancer cells, eh??!! XO Suzan