HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Low EF (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=56735)

Pmoore 12-06-2012 07:09 PM

Low EF

Hello All,Just received info that my Ejection fraction is at 40%.My oncologist had me see a cardiologist who has put me on Lisinopril. Needless to say my oncologist has stopped my Herceptin until my EF is normal. Has anyone had this happen to them? Have been on Herceptin for 2years straight. I would appreciate any input. Thanks.

Pia

nsebesta 12-06-2012 07:20 PM

Re: Low EF

Hi Pia - I did have it happen to me - twice. My dr. put me on Coreg and it went right back up. Yours will too.

evergreen 12-06-2012 07:24 PM

I've heard of this happening to several of my fellow-HER2 patients. They saw it as routine. My oncologist says herceptin remains in your system after they stop giving it for some time, so while you are off it, it is still doing good stuff...

sarah 12-07-2012 01:49 AM

Hello,
I've also heard that the Herceptin stays in the body for a while so you'll be covered for a while.
Some people, including myself, take co-enzyme Q10 to help with heart issues - I read about taking it on this site. Maybe so some research on it to see if it might help or harm.
I was on Herceptin for 6 years but luckily stayed around 55.
There's lots of news about short doses of Herceptin being as good as longer term.
by the way if your ER+ there's news now that people should take anti-ER drugs (specifically Tamoxifen) for 10 years not 5.
Don't panic, your EF will go back up.
health and happiness
sarah

vballmom 12-07-2012 05:29 AM

Pia, I am going through this, too. I have only been on Herceptin just over 3 months. My EF dropped from 60% to 53% and I was sent to a cardiologist who stopped the Herceptin and put me on Lisinopril. I had an echo yesterday and am waiting for updated results.

Pmoore 12-07-2012 11:03 AM

Thank you ladies for all the encouraging words:)Trying to stay positive.
Good luck vballmom on your echo .I will be having another one in 2-3 weeks to see if the medicine is helping. Thanks, Pia

tammymarie1971 12-07-2012 11:46 PM

Pia,
I was also taken off for about 3 rounds given lisinopril and was back on herceptin with no problems...This was about being on H for about 6yrs non stop...I believe it will be just a little hiccup in your journey...quite common...fairly easy to treat...The thing i hated about lisinopril was the near constant tickle cough especially at night... no big deal though.
Tammy

dchips1 12-08-2012 07:47 AM

Pia,
This is a common event that happens. I use the Coq10 daily. I use costco's Kirkland brand 300mg 1 time per day. Mega red krill oil, and flax also daily.

I was on herceptin for about a year and a half, then had to take a 3 month holiday. EF less than 50%. After that I hover around 66%.
Other than that I have been on it weekly since 3/2006. I have found that If I change brands of the Coq10, which is the case for many supplements, It did not work as well. I think your body becomes accustomed to a certain one. Kinda like how you like your coffee, substitues are ok just not your favorite.
Walk, pedal a bike or stationary bike, yoga whatever to keep active and it helps your whole bresat cancer recovery and your HEART. One less appointment for a short time!
Prayers and Holiday blessings to you
Darita

vballmom 12-10-2012 02:58 PM

My EF remained stable - 54%. My MO and cardiologist have pulled the plug on Herceptin for me. They feel that I've had enough and are more worried about protecting my heart from further damage. I guess I am officially done with treatment and now start living life.