HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Nausea (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=56365)

Therese 10-22-2012 05:47 PM

Nausea

Have had my third infusion of Doxorubicin and Cyclophosphomide and after the anti nausea meds cut out on the 6th day the nausea comes back for another 6 days. Have been given Maxolon but it doesn't agree with me and seems to make things worse. I am dreading my 4th treatment in a couple of weeks. Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks
Therese

Ruth 10-22-2012 07:01 PM

Re: Nausea

Therese have you tried suppository phenergan? It saved me....was really the only thing to make my days bearable.Hugs to you

Jean 10-23-2012 07:55 PM

Have you discussed an alternative med with your dr?
How about Emend.

Best Wishes,
jean

Jackie07 10-24-2012 05:10 AM

There are several different meds available. I would call the oncology nurse and get a prescription for another antiemetic medicine. [There are usually free samples you can try first.]

I used to take them for just a week and the symptom would subside. Be sure to let your doctor know if the problem persists as there might be other causes that need to be investigated.

tricia keegan 10-24-2012 01:24 PM

My friend had the same problem, call your onc or chemo nurses and tell them as you may need to stay on the steroids longer, don't suffer in silence as its easier to prevent than stop once it starts!

rhondalea 10-24-2012 06:42 PM

Before chemo started, I had a heartfelt conversation with my oncologist: "I can't stand being nauseated. My daughter is lucky to be alive, because I was sick to my stomach 24 hours a day, starting within a week of becoming pregnant and not stopping until she was born. I was young then, and I lived with it--barely--but I can't live with it now."

Okay, it wasn't really a conversation. And maybe I had a semi-insane gleam in my eye. She didn't say a word; she just started writing prescriptions: Emend and Zofran (she also gave me Ativan and Decadron, but it was the first two that saved me). I didn't have any faith that they would help, but as it turned out, I never experienced even an instant of nausea.

I'm not sure what it is with some doctors. My neighbor was sick as a dog with chemo. When she told me how bad she felt, I thought it was because Medicaid was paying for her treatment but wouldn't pay for expensive anti-nausea drugs. Turns out that's not true--her doctor was just an idiot or a sadist (possibly both). After she talked to me, though, she discussed it with him. And after she discussed it with him, I didn't have to bring her more Ensure, because she was able to eat like a normal person.

AC is miserable, but modern medicine has the means to mitigate your suffering. Please insist. You don't deserve to feel that awful.

Therese 10-24-2012 10:01 PM

Thanks all for your responses. Saw my onc today and we have put another plan in place for my next treatment. Interestingly I asked why I was having so much trouble with nausea lasting so long after the treatment (11 days). He said that it was his experience that people who never smoked or drank for most of their lives seem to have this trouble and that those who did seem to sail through their chemo.

StephN 10-24-2012 10:08 PM

Hi Therese -
Have you been getting a premed for nausea before getting your chemo?

I always got something and it worked so well, I never had nausea and did not ever need the pills they gave me to have at home. This was the same with ALL the chemos I had.

Hope the new plan will work out well and put an end to these needless days of nausea.

Funny you mention alcohol. I have had a long habit of having a couple of glasses of wine at dinner. But the mouth sores I got with chemo prevented me from having my wine!

KsGal 10-24-2012 10:10 PM

Im glad you have a new plan for your next treatment. I was all prepared for nausea when I did my chemotherapy, and then the Emend worked wonders for me apparently, as nausea really was never an issue. I hope your new plan works the same way for you.

Pray 10-24-2012 11:19 PM

I had the same problem. I'm not a drinker or smoker. I had premeds the day before chemo and the day of, day after (Emend). My nausea lasted 2 weeks and the second week I was able to get by on compazine or ragland.(spelling might be wrong). Hope all goes well. Gods blessings to you. Peace my friend, Nancy

Therese 10-25-2012 02:57 AM

Yep I get a pre treatment anti nausea med Emend which I take for 2 days after treatment. Then I go on to Zofran and after that Dexamethasone (5 days of meds after treatment) but once they have been stopped the nausea comes back and lasts for another 6 days. Anyway well see how we go with this new plan. Thanks everyone for your input. Will keep you posted. Anyone found how to minimise that awful taste in the mouth?

Jackie07 10-25-2012 03:25 AM

I ate a lot of jello during chemo... You might try that to mask the metalic taste. Below is a thread with more discussion on the subject:

http://her2support.org/vbulletin/sho...=metalic+taste

rhondalea 10-25-2012 05:04 AM

I took Emend, Zofran, Ativan and Decadron all at the same time, starting immediately before chemo. If I remember correctly, I took three days of Emend and Zofran and four days of Ativan and Decadron. I also have a very vague recollection of a dose of Decadron the night before chemo.

I do smoke (although at this point, I have mostly given it up), but I'm not a drinker. My neighbor drinks and smokes, though, and as I mentioned, she was miserable.

I should've mentioned that I also took two grams of ginger a day.

I very much hope your new plan works for you.

StephN 10-25-2012 10:57 AM

I think I was given Kytril shot in the IV a few minutes prior to starting my chemo. Emend was not out yet, but Kytril was a good thing.
On Taxotere I had to do the decadron before and after day of infusion, but nothing else.

I also ate ice chips during my infusion. Some people bring popsicles or something else cold to suck on. That seems to help.

tricia keegan 10-25-2012 12:18 PM

Theresa your Onc may have a point, in my case I was a smoker going through chemo!

alicem 10-27-2012 06:01 AM

Theresa, you might also want to take a look at how much water you are drinking for the first days of your treatment. Your kidneys are working extra hard to flush all the chemicals out of your body. I was warned about this but forgot to do it for my second treatment and the nausea lasted for at least a week longer than the first. Went back to 8 glasses of fluids a day (including sports drink) for the next treatment and it made a huge difference. I never forgot again. Maybe you are already doing this, but FYI in case you aren't.

I hope you are able to get this under control because I'm right there with you on the nausea thing - it makes me sick!!!

All my best, Alice