HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   MRI Hell (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=51227)

msleslie 09-04-2011 07:42 PM

MRI Hell

Hello Ladies. Now that I have completed chemo, radiation, herceptin, & tykerb it was time for my annual MRI. On the first attempt the technician was unable to find a vein. On the second attempt (2 weeks later) a skilled technician was able to access a vein in my wrist. The first 20 minutes of the test was fine but when they started the contrast I got sick. Although, I was vomitting after a brief intermission we resumed the test. To my astonishment, I received a call the next day that they were unable to read the MRI results because of too much movement during the exam. I will have to go back in for a 3rd attempt. If you have any pointers for those of us with small veins or those who do not tolerate the contrast very well - please share. Thanks

BonnieR 09-04-2011 08:23 PM

Re: MRI Hell

Hey, Msleslie, good hearing from you again, despite the reason! You look good.
So what do THEY suggest doing to make this experience better for you? Can they administer a different agent for contrast? Can you receive antiemetic (anti nausea) meds ahead of time?
Request that a skilled technician be available even before they start sticking you.
Maybe you could ask about taking a mild tranquilizer ahead of time because you might be a tad anxious going into it! I know I would be!
I hope you can get a better experience lined up. Let us know. And keep the faith.

ElaineM 09-04-2011 08:44 PM

I feel for you. I have had my share of mishaps from technicians trying to access a vein or taking a needle out after a contrast. The last time a technician tried I bleed all over the place ---my clothes, the floor, the equipment etc. They had to page over the loudspeaker for a trauma nurse and the senior radiologist on duty had to apply pressure for 30 minutes to stop the bleeding. they applied pressure bandages after that. I always request an I. V. nurse when I am making appointments for all scans and refuse to let the technicians access my veins.

kristen8594 09-05-2011 03:56 AM

Hello,
I don't let the MRI techs touch me after multiple tires and even them paging pedi nurses or an IV nurse. Now I go to the oncology Dept first where they gladly and easily do the IV! Sorry can't help about the nausea.
Kristen

jml 09-05-2011 06:19 AM

I'm so sorry that happened to you! Scan time is stressful enough on it's own!
Would it be possible for you to do a PET scan instead?
There's a whole different type of prep for the PET and
they use a contrast also, but I wonder if it might be different than
the contrast they use for MRI?
I would suggest you call your docs and let them know that
you couldn't tolerate the contrast & what a difficult time you
had and let them discuss the options.
I have a friend that had a severe reaction -anaphylaxis - due to the contrast during a CT & they had to pull out the epi-pen & benadryl.
Good luck & keep us posted!

Keep the Faith~

Debbie L. 09-05-2011 07:49 AM

Man, I can see why you're not looking forward to a repeat of that experience!

What is the MRI for? Is it a breast MRI?

I have several friends who swear by Ativan on scan day. It does help a little bit with the nausea, too. It's fairly short-acting so unless you're extremely sensitive to the sedation, it should leave you ready to enjoy the rest of your day.

For the IV, it helps to be well hydrated, and warm (overall warm is good, but in a pinch -- a warm blanket on the target arm for 10 minutes or so will do). Exercise can also help your veins be more visible (a few brisk laps around the facility right before they call you, for example). Relaxation (no anxiety) can also help (see Ativan, above). Do not hesitate to be pro-active in insisting that they have an expert on hand to access your veins. If you made it thru treatment without a port, the area of the veins above where they typically infused your chemo are most likely scarred. Point out to the tech that although they look tempting, those veins in your upper forearm and antecubital space (crook of elbow) don't cooperate. The most likely spots for success are a hand vein or one on the lower wrist area.

Debbie Laxague

MJo 09-05-2011 08:00 AM

I had an MRI last month. It was difficult. I have decided that next time, I will take Xanax before the MRI.

Joanna J 09-05-2011 08:19 AM

Leslie,Sorry to hear abt your unfortunate circumstances...I know how you feel,August 25th was a day like this for me,after 3 tries that day (Bingo) but the injections were painful,unfortunately,the med staff tells me this is quite common after chemo (rough on the veins) I had my Bone & Cat scan (everything is ok ,by the way,2.5 yrs out YAY) I hope your next try is a success...Nurse told me to drink water before & I always keep heat (a microwaveable Rice bag my mother made for me) wrapped around my hand til I get there,I learned abt this @ the cancer center....This may help you...couldn't hurt to try (saved me many times) Hope to hear that everything works out great for you,Joanna J

hutchibk 09-05-2011 08:30 AM

I am sorry to hear it was such an ordeal! I know others who have experienced similar challenges with CTs and the barium followed by contrast.

I am one of those weird cookies who loves MRIs and has had nothing but good experiences for 8 years. We access my veins in my hand and as long as I am well hydrated, we do pretty well. As Debbie said, there are ways to plump up those veins that any knowledgeable technician should be able to employ.

As for reaction to the contrast... ask the radiology clinic what they do in that case. They have alternate ideas for clients who show reaction. Also, be sure and tell your oncologist... they may also have solutions for you.