HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   My brain MRI - trick or treat? (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=41664)

StephN 10-31-2009 11:09 AM

My brain MRI - trick or treat?

It was good news - a real treat! This one shows no new brain mets activity and the old scar areas of Gamma Knife treatment are perhaps receding a millimeter or 2.

It will be FIVE YEARS in January that the two mets in my brain were discovered and treated. How time does fly!!!

Discussed a few items with my rad onc. One was progress on better imaging. He says there is little improvement in these 5 years. Not enough to distinguish scarring/necrosis from actual tumor activity. Same problem many of us have had after treatment for brain mets. He says there are some promising studies, but funding is hard to get.

Secondly, should I continue to monitor so frequently (every 6 months now)? He says some in his field would argue to wait for symptoms after this long. But he feels that since I had NO symptoms in the first place, this is not a good option for me. Also, when my cancer starts growing it takes off quickly, and he prefers to catch anything new early. So, I will do the brain MRI routine again end of April.

Last argument for continued MRIs is that since I am not taking Herceptin now and have no coverage systemically, he feels even more strongly about surveillance at 6 months.

tricia keegan 10-31-2009 02:33 PM

Re: My brain MRI - trick or treat?

Steph, I'm so glad to read your good news!
You're an inspiration and in your position I think I too would like to continue the surveillance if only for piece of mind.
I really hope you continue to do as well as you already have and keep beating this:)

DianaT 10-31-2009 05:20 PM

I want to be JUST like you!!!!!!!! Great news!!

Karen W 10-31-2009 05:34 PM

Glad it's good news Steph... what a treat!!!

Karen

caya 10-31-2009 06:22 PM

Thanks for sharing your wonderful news, Steph.
I would continue with those MRI's every 6 months - sounds like a good plan.

all the best
caya

P.S. Have a treat tonight - eat some chocolate, it's good for you!! :)

Sherryg683 10-31-2009 08:36 PM

That news is better than getting candy this Halloween. I am sooo glad to hear you are doing so well...sherry

Chelee 10-31-2009 10:42 PM

Hi Steph, That is absolutely wonderful news! I'm glad you & your onc have decided to continue with the brain MRI's. I know I would just for peace of mind alone. It's always nice to hear such good news!

Chelee

Rich66 11-01-2009 02:13 AM

How did you get the original brain MRI w/o symptoms?

Ellie F 11-01-2009 04:36 AM

Hi Steph
Such brilliant news is always a pick-me-up. Long may it continue.
Ellie

jones7676 11-01-2009 06:00 AM

Hi Steph,

Such a great report! May it continue.

flynny 11-01-2009 06:19 AM

That is incredible news! So happy for you.

MJo 11-01-2009 06:58 AM

Congratulations. You got your holiday gift early!

Ceesun 11-01-2009 10:17 AM

The best news ever! Ceesun

StephN 11-01-2009 11:16 AM

Thanks, everyone!

Rich - I was stage IV and as such my med onc was monitoring my brain with an annual MRI whether I reported symptoms or not. The first time was to clear me for a clinical trial, and knowing how many of his HER2 patients had spread to the brain, he was not going to take chances after that.

schoolteacher 11-02-2009 09:29 AM

Stephanie,

I am glad to hear the good news on your brain MRI. Are you going to the open house at the TVG? If you do, tell everyone I said, "Hi." If you should take any pictures, please send me some.

Amelia

Ruth 11-02-2009 01:27 PM

Wow - this is awesome news and comes at a great time with Julierene's post.
Hugs ~ Ruth

michka 11-02-2009 01:46 PM

Steph, just jumping in to say "BRAVO!". This news really makes me happy. Real Sun. Michka

ElaineM 11-02-2009 08:55 PM

Great news Steph !! I would keep monitoring. "Better to be safe than sorry."

Joan M 11-04-2009 02:12 PM

Steph,

Your test result is great news, and congratulations on your five-year anniversary since the appearance of the brain mets. Continued monitoring at perhaps 6-month intervals seems like a good option.

Joan