HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   What do you guys think about a wheelchair purchase? (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=58010)

Redwolf8812 05-05-2013 12:20 PM

What do you guys think about a wheelchair purchase?

I have a lot of lower leg, ankle, and foot pain. I use a cane to walk. I can't walk around a store for any length of time before I want to cry. I no longer can take my girls to the mall. Yesterday I went to BJ's Wholesale Club with my husband and had the grand idea of having him push me around in one of their wheelchairs. It was great. It made the whole shopping experience so much more pleasurable. So I was thinking, since we spend a lot of time on the boardwalk from spring through the fall, of getting one. AND, I could take my daughters to the mall again! I could probably get the oncologist to write me a scrip, but even if insurance wouldn't pay for it, there appear to be some decent ones on amazon.com for @$125.

Has anyone else ever done this? Does anyone have any recommendations or suggestions?

Thanks.

- Penny

schoonder 05-05-2013 02:04 PM

Re: What do you guys think about a wheelchair purchase?

If lower limb(s) problem is brought on by cancer, oncologist should be ok with writing you a scrip for a wheelchair and I see no reason why this wouldn't be honored. Hopefully, the T-DM1 will help alleviate your discomfort.

If leg problems aren't associated with that disease, maybe a visit to Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, which is ranked #7 Nationally in Orthopedics and not that far from South Jersey could bring you some much needed relief.

Anyhow, $125 doesn't sound like such large investment when it enables you to spend more time out in the open and on occasions when leg isn't particularly painful, you can reverse roles with husband and give him a ride, thereby getting in some good exercise.

ElaineM 05-05-2013 04:19 PM

Go for it. Do whatever it takes to make your life more comfortable and enjoyable. You can get a wheelchair and still find out what is going on with your lower extremedies.

'lizbeth 05-06-2013 10:06 AM

OMG, I saw the most adorable wheel chair at a fundraiser last week. It was petite and plaid. I think the chair is a great idea.

What is causing the pain?

How about a foot massage? As long as you have no contraindications it could help, and feel marvelous. If you have neuropathy just have them use lighter pressure. Are the muscles and sinews extremely tight?

Plaid wheelchairs, extremely stylish!

dchips1 05-06-2013 12:57 PM

OH YEAH GO FOR IT! and Bling it out use the cool duct tape strips, and add what ever you want. I did not get to a wheelchair yet, but finally had dr get rx for a nice 4 wheel walker, with a basket seat and backrest, so can be pushed or walk. Use if I am out venturing myself or when no carts available to hang on to. Have your Dr call and see if a chair is covered, and what type.

Costco, sams club all have the lighter weight chairs. you just want one that does not weigh a lot, Some are for "transport" being it is meant to be pushed around by someone else (4 little Wheels ), you can also sit in and push move with your feet if you want. The other is a heavier (BIG WHEEL) where you can have some pushing /rolling with your arms , or be pushed. I would stick with the lighter weight one.

By all means you are entitled to getting and and enjoying time with your family and not having to worry about so many things right now in life!! Sometimes I know I have felt this way, that means we are giving in, or appears to others that we are. Heck no If I get out and enjoy life without ruining the day or the next day because of physical fatigue weakness, etc. We are just making a choice to be able to enjoy life and LAUGH at the beast.

Peace and prayers, to you and you family, nothing like shopping to heal all things!!!!!!!!
Darita

CoolBreeze 05-06-2013 04:27 PM

I have trouble walking now - because of breathing. I can't take a vacation or do any shopping or anything because I get out of breath with a ten foot walk. So I am considering a wheelchair, but my doctor is testing me for "gemzar lung" so hopefully, this is temporary.

First, before you buy one, check with your doctor and insurance. Your doctor can prescribe one and some insurances will pay for it.

If not, go to thrift store, big ones like Deseret. There are always medical supplies at those, including wheelchairs and they are very inexpensive, like 10 or 15 bucks.

I don't know how much the Costco ones cost. But why pay 100.00 if you can get one for 10, especially if it might be temporary.

No harm in having one if it makes your life easier!

NEDenise 05-07-2013 02:33 AM

Penny,
I have been in and out of a wheelchair 3 or 4 times during this "stupid cancer thing" started...fatigue, neuropathy, back injury, fatique (again)... It's very liberating!

My vote...GO FOR IT! The girls will probably fight over who gets to push you!

But, I'm with Ann...check out thrift shops, Craig's list...why pay more than you have to. I wish my insurance company would buy one...but alas, they only rent it...and I had to pay a monthly co-pay till I found my own (virtually free). Not a fancy as the rented one, but it's MINE!

Happy wheeling!
Denise

BonnieR 05-08-2013 10:25 AM

Go for it!
Keep the faith

KsGal 05-08-2013 08:25 PM

Absolutely I would get one! And like was mentioned, jazz it all up. Personalize it! There isn't any reason for you to have to be in pain doing something you normally enjoy. If this helps, then get one and get back out there shopping with your girls! Lots of hugs and prayers!

dchips1 05-09-2013 11:06 PM

PENNY did you call your insurance company yet? did you decide to get a chair? the mall is waiting for you!!!!!!

Peace and Prayers
Darita

http://ts2.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.47951...18701&pid=15.1

Bill 05-10-2013 07:21 PM

I think it's a good idea. We got one when Nikki was having trouble getting around and it really helped. The main thing was that she felt safe instead of moving around unsteadily and worrying about falling. I'd say shop around a little and go for it.

7andcounting 05-12-2013 10:25 PM

What about one of the motorized scooters that have a little basket in the front? I have seen these for under $200. If you go on line you can compare to see who has the best deal. Looking into getting something is smart---you want to have the best QofL possible.

Blessings!

KsGal 05-13-2013 09:37 AM

Ohhhh...a motorized scooter would be awesome too! Let us know what you decide!

Redwolf8812 05-16-2013 05:26 AM

So this is how it went. I got a scrip from my doctor's office. I called my insurance company and was simply told it's covered 90/10, meaning I pay 10%. Ok, so then I go to a medical equipment supply place in my area. They tell me they don't take my insurance but the kind lady who works there called my insurance company for me and they told her that out-of-network is 70/30 and that the standard lightweight wheelchair for me runs about $300.

Then I call my insurance company back and a CSR tells me there are no in-network supply stores in my area but gives me phone numbers for two places that he says will ship to me. I google both numbers and find out they're both in North Jersey. I'm in South Jersey. I'm feeling suspicious. I call both numbers, and my suspicions are confirmed - neither company will ship down to me. I call the insurance company AGAIN and get another CSR, who gives me not one, but THREE in-network stores in my area. I call the first two - neither one sells wheelchairs. Jackpot with the last one. My husband I and then went there - they took my scrip and my info and will get back to me in a day or two. They have to call my doctor's office and insurance company and confirm everything. The first 3 months are a rental and then the insurance company will determine whether or not to keep renting or to buy it.

The funny thing was this: we asked about my 10% (it's $3/month when rented, @$20 if purchased). While she was looking up this info, we told her that if it turned out to be more than what I could purchase one for online, I would just do that. She asked me the prices online and was shocked. They charge insurance companies @ 3 times the price of what we can find them for on the internet. I even showed her the one I was looking at (I saved it on my iphone) and she confirmed it was the same one they'd be renting to me.

Just thought this was ironic. LOL.

Jackie07 05-17-2013 02:37 AM

Penny,

Thanks for sharing your experience. I've noticed the 'heavy discounts' between medical facilities and medical suppliers/insurance companies. I've been going to a 'country' dentist my Father-in-law and my husband have been seeing for years. Dr. Smith's charges are lower than the dental insurance co-payment ...

He (and another dentist in the same facility) has been able to avoid all the paper work and other bureaucratic hassles and focus on patient care. His office is efficient - he takes walk-ins in the morning and after lunch hour. He does not push for fancy, expensive procedure/material.

He's an maverick - you can tell by the cowboy boots he's wearing ... :)

Redwolf8812 05-27-2013 06:52 AM

So, a "day or two" turned into almost two weeks. My husband will be picking up the wheelchair tomorrow. Can't wait to enjoy the boardwalk and the mall without being in immense pain afterwards.
:-)
Penny

NEDenise 05-27-2013 01:32 PM

Yay!
Penny, that is such great news!
I hope the weather cooperates and you can enjoy being outside as much as you want!

BTW - which town are you enjoying the boardwalk in? :)

Denise

BonnieR 05-27-2013 02:14 PM

Yeah, what boardwalk? I'm an old Avalon gal myself

Redwolf8812 05-27-2013 03:30 PM

Ocean City, NJ!

- Penny

NEDenise 05-27-2013 03:51 PM

I'm humming "Under the Boardwalk" right this very minute.
I can almost smell the ocean...and taste the salt water taffy. Mmmm Mmmm!
:) Denise