HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   "Living proof" movie posted on Lifetime (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=36174)

RhondaH 10-19-2008 03:06 AM

"Living proof" movie posted on Lifetime

http://www.mylifetime.com/on-tv/full...deo/1859715049

tricia keegan 10-19-2008 03:22 AM

Thanks Rhonda, I eagerly clicked on the link but only to be told I could'nt view this video from my current country/location..thanks anyway!
I'll be interested to read what you all thought of it..

StephN 10-19-2008 12:10 PM

Tricia -
Someone will just have to send you a copy.

I think DVD as you have a different video system there.

Anyone have a copy they can send Tricia??

(Sorry I don't have DVR.)

tricia keegan 10-19-2008 01:13 PM

Thanks for the thought Steph, I think we here in Europe use a different "region" of dvd to yourselves so it probably would'nt play anyway.
Thanks so much though and I've no doubt it'll get here eventually!! (We're usually a few months behind you guys for movie's)...

caya 10-19-2008 02:30 PM

I just tried as well - same thing, can't see it from your current country/location - very weird - I'm in Canada - right on the border with the US, same TV systems etc.
I hope the DVD comes out soon.

all the best
caya

ElaineM 10-19-2008 04:14 PM

Living proof movie posted on Lifetime

Thanks for the link. My cable contract does not include Lifetime. I will try to watch it on the internet. Does anyone know where we can buy or rent a copy?

newgg 10-19-2008 07:47 PM

Thanks !

Thank you Rhonda....for posting this link. Lifetime was not on my cable package but was able to watch all 8 segments on this link. WOW.....glad ...so glad...some folks FIGHT for us ! Such brave HER2 sisters to lead the way. Did not know about the support of Revlon, Lilly T, and such a supportative wife. Goodness, I feel so blessed to have had all these fighters. It has been stated before by many but Joe and Christine, you must know that your site is my source.....my strength......my knowledge. All here ( sisters, brothers, care givers ) who share their goods and bads..highs and lows....questions and answers....discussion and debate. All of this gives me power and I love it!
Hugs, Bonnie

freyja 10-19-2008 08:17 PM

Good TV

I also watched it on the lifetime website. So glad some people in Hollywood are spending their time and money making movies about worthwhile topics. They didn't even have to over dramatize since it's a very dramatic story on its own. I cried, mostly tears of joy, though. Reminded me once again how truly fortunate we are to be on the receiving end of Dr. Slamon's work. Also, reminds me to appreciate and honor the women who didn't have the advantages we have now. They were brave and strong, even in the midst of their fear and weakness. I'm proud to be a woman, and determined to be a survivor, and grateful for our supportive community of women warriors and all the warriors searching for a cure and coming to our aide.
Love to you.

harrie 10-19-2008 08:24 PM

Over here in Hawaii, I am watching it right now (commercial time). Its very good. It is a real eye-opener to see how hard Dr. Slamon had to work to become successful.
Ooopsss....gotta go...its back on!

harrie 10-19-2008 08:33 PM

Elaine, how could your cable co. not include Lifeline? Are you sure? Over here in Hilo, Oceanic Time Warner, works for catching it. I think it is on again tomorrow. Email me and maybe I can help you.
Maryanne

Joe 10-19-2008 08:39 PM

Follow Up

1 Attachment(s)
Dr. Slamon, his wife and Barbara Bradfield. Barbara is still a survivor and living in the Northwest with her husband Dean.

Joe 10-19-2008 08:43 PM

A Young Dr. Slamon

1 Attachment(s)
This photo is complements of Phylicia:

harrie 10-19-2008 09:01 PM

Wow Joe...thanks for posting the pics!! Awesome!! I was just watching the part when he calls Barbara Bradfield to convince her to take the HER2 instead of go to Mexico!!
Dr. Slamon is so determined and driven! His wife is so understanding.
He is every bit as handsome in the pic as he is depicted in the movie too!!
In the early pic, which one is he?

StephN 10-19-2008 10:08 PM

Harrie -
Dr. Slamon is on the left in the above pic. He WAS quite young there!

harrie 10-19-2008 10:14 PM

Wow, he was really young when he was working on this project!

Joe 10-19-2008 10:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
A Young Joe with Mrs. Dennis Slamon. She stoppred by our exhibit in San Antonio about 3 years ago. I was struck by the comment in the movie when Dr. Slamon told his wife that the long hours would be finished when Herceptin was FDA approved.

Mrs. Slamon confided in me that Dennis once spent 50 weekends away in one year.

StephN 10-19-2008 10:28 PM

Hey Joe - I think I took that pic with your camera.

The Mrs. was taking good care of the award her hubby had just been given, and a group of us had been in the front row during his acceptance speech. But it was more like a special lecture.

We also met Mike Shephard at the end of that lecture. Dr. Slamon was being congratulated and thanked by our group and Mike appeared so Dennis introduced us and said that he owed a lot to Mike in keeping Genentech with the project. (Mike was interested to meet some survivors due to Herceptin!)

Thanks for the memories! http://her2support.org/vbulletin/images/icons/icon7.gif

harrie 10-19-2008 11:35 PM

Hey there Handsome!!
So what yr was herceptin finally FDA approved? I thought I saw 1996. When it was approved, was it only for stage IV and then much later was it found to be effective for stage I?

tricia keegan 10-20-2008 12:52 AM

For all those living outside the States and want to see the movie- My daughter (computer expert!) just told me if anyone captured the movie and can put it up on www.surfthechannel.com you can view it there.
I also was told my dvd player is region free so plays any dvd from anywhere in the world..if anyone does have a spare copy I'd be happy to cover any expense's incurred and then post it on to someone else??

Mary Anne in TX 10-20-2008 01:25 AM

I so love the pictures! Thanks Joe!