HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Diet and Nutrition (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   marijuana?? (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57308)

momac1ta 02-09-2013 01:39 PM

marijuana??

OK, Im gonna say it.....Have any of you been prescribed Marijuana? I have never in my life taken any(illegal) drug, or drank a drop of alcohol or smoked! But, my husband and I are reading about how Marijuana helps so much with nausea and weight loss. I would love to hear your feed back.
Thanks!
momac1ta

NanaJoni 02-09-2013 04:06 PM

Re: marijuana??

Can't speak for others but I would recommend you stay away from this even as a medicinal option. First of all and MOST importantly - never put anything in or on your body during your treatment period that you haven't checked out with your doctors. So many things can alter the way chemo acts -many supplements and drugs can lessen effectiveness and you certainly don't want that. Just always ask - chemo nurses are also a wonderful source of good, sensible information relating to anything you have going on.

Deb33 02-11-2013 05:22 PM

Try Acupuncture or Acupressure for nausea and appetite - it really works.

KDR 02-11-2013 06:25 PM

It's not legal here in New York, but my friend had a "card" for it California. I personally have no issues with it at all, and believe it should be legalized. I don't smoke it or drink the tea, but lots of people benefit from its use. My grandmother smoked it when she suffered through lung cancer in the 70's and felt it was great for her pain.

Karen

Laurel 02-11-2013 06:27 PM

I think it is perfectly fine.

Jackie07 02-11-2013 09:23 PM

I went through six rounds of chemo in both 2003 and 2007 without using much of the pain medication prescribed. (Remember to walk as soon as you can after surgery and then exercise regularly during treatment). In fact, I still have more than a half bottle of the Hydrocodon from my 2010 hysterectomy/oo.

There are plenty of good nausea meds and effective anti-emetic medicine available. Just ask your doctor/oncology nurse and they will prescribe the appropriate ones for you.

It's quite easy to build up tolerance of the pain pills (possibly why some would abuse it) and I imagine similar effect of marijuana.

jaykay 02-12-2013 11:08 AM

Anti-nausea meds have come a long way (as many have posted already).

That being said, my brother-in-law (deceased for 30+ years), was treated for leukemia in the early 80's and there was nothing legal to help for his nausea. He had access to marijuana and smoked it in the hospital. Doctors and nurses were very much aware, but glad that there was something to increase his appetite and reduce his nausea.

I don't see anything wrong with it and also think it should be legalized. However, I don't think you will need it. I've been through 4 TCH rounds, taken my meds as prescribed, and have not had an issue with nausea at all. With other side effects, yes, but not nausea.

Janis

sdstarfish 03-13-2013 06:44 AM

I lived in CA during treatment, so I had a card. I tried it to fight nausea and migraines from Neupegen. One problem - the smell made me nauseated, so I never ended up using it.

sdstarfish 04-10-2013 10:59 AM

I understand what you're saying, Allan. I was reluctant too, due to the longterm effects it has on the brain. At the time I just felt desparate to be rid of the pain, and I had already been through several meds so I thought, why not try?

That said, one thing that actually did help me a whole lot was acupuncture. But I guess that would be a new thread :)

KDR 04-11-2013 09:21 AM

When marijuana is clean, it is nothing more than a passable approved CONTROLLED SUBSTANCE, much like any other opiate/narcotic drug we currently are given. New Hampshire has a list of painkilling medications that might be of interest:
https://420durango.com/dispensaries/...od/vermont-thc
Karen

embur102 04-12-2013 07:51 PM

marijuana and acupuncture were the only things that eased the nausea for me....none of the anti-nausea meds helped.

Each person reacts differently to chemo, and the chemo drugs themselves have different "emesis" ratings (adriamyacin is more likely to induce nausea than taxol).