HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Diagnosed with 2nd Primary (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=65272)

Paula O 09-11-2016 02:25 AM

Diagnosed with 2nd Primary

Hi guys, :)

After 5 1/2 + years since my first triple positive diagnosis (Stage 3A) in my left breast, and enjoying NED status since being treated with "the works", I recently had the shockaroo of a brand new primary in my right breast (also triple positive, looks like Stage 1) Now I am awaiting my PET scan results and surgery soon followed by chemo and Herceptin.

I'd be interested in hearing about the experiences of others who had cancer pop up in the opposite breast after treatment. Was it Her 2 positive both times? Thanks! :)

Paula
My blog: http://jpoliver.com/wordpress/

tricia keegan 09-11-2016 01:59 PM

Re: Diagnosed with 2nd Primary

Oh Paula I'm so sorry, just sending good wishes to you as you face this again!

Carol Ann 09-11-2016 03:41 PM

I'm so sorry, Paula! :( I had a HER2 Stage 1 suddenly show itself in my left breast right after a non HER2 was found in the right ... the first, an ILC, was found during surgery to remove an "infected" nipple that turned out to be Paget's Disease. So my tumors were found 2 months apart, one in July and one in September.

Both tumors, right and left, were ER+, very much so. Only the second one, found in the left after the double mastectomy I insisted on (caught alot of flack and pushback) was HER2 +++.

The HER2 was also triple positive. My onc put me on Arimidex right after I finished the T and the C, because "The Herceptin isn't doing anything for the ER+".

My signature below outlines everything ... please feel free to PM me with any questions!

Carol Ann

Paula O 09-11-2016 04:26 PM

Thanks for the encouragement and well wishes Carol Ann and Tricia. :)

Paula

Laurel 09-11-2016 05:02 PM

Paula,

I was sorry to hear your news! I bet that was a shockaroo! Goodness! I have heard of women who have a new primary in the opposite breast many years later, so I suppose we continue to be at risk for BC due to our "femaleness."

I am so sorry you have to face the "works" a second time. May you sail through treatment without any difficulties and get back to NED and remain there. Wishing you the very best!

jaykay 09-11-2016 05:07 PM

Hi Paula,

So sorry to hear about the new primary. Same thing happened to me 12 years later. Same pathology (her+, ER+, PR-) but Stage 2b (right) while the first (left) was Stage 1A.

Details are in my signature. I did not have chemo or Herceptin the first time around because it was not the standard of treatment for early stage back in 2000. But I did have 10 years of anti-estrogen. Go figure...

You'll be okay, please reach out to me privately if you want to talk

Best
Janis

jaykay 09-11-2016 05:10 PM

One more thing I forgot to mention - please talk to your oncologist about adding Perjeta to the mix. I just missed out the last time around (2012).

Janis

MaineRottweilers 09-11-2016 05:42 PM

I am sorry you have go through the process all over again. That just sucks. Praying your PET is clear.

Paula O 09-12-2016 05:04 PM

Thanks to you too Laurel, JayKay, and MaineRottweilers! The addition of perjetta is one of three proposed chemo protocols oncologist mentioned depending on size of tumor at surgery and if there is lymphatic involvement. Right now as per ultrasound, mammo, and MRI, the mass might be too small to qualify for perjetta. I missed it last time even though I was at stage 3A then as it wasn't offered in 2011. I might be getting it in addition to the carboplatin, Taxotare, and Herceptin that I had last time or Taxol and Herceptin depending on tumor outcome at surgery. I had happy news today: http://jpoliver.com/wordpress/archives/1341 Such a relief. That mammo cartoon in the post cracks me up--can't seem to copy and paste it here though or I would. When I try it says:
Image result for breast cancer cartoon.
Wishing you guys the best! Thx again for your encouragement. I sure wish I could figure out how to quit growing these things and get to the root of whatever is causing it and FIX IT! Paula

Carol Ann 09-12-2016 05:48 PM

YAY! What a relief!!

That cartoon is funny!

Carol Ann

jra40 09-13-2016 07:20 AM

So sorry to hear of news on the first post but glad to hear the PET was clear! Fight on warrior woman! We are all praying for you :)

Jess

Paula O 09-13-2016 08:41 AM

:) JRA40 and Carol Ann :)

Anybody have any input from their research how in the world we can address the root cause of the cancer so we can fix that and stop growing these things? My oncologist has the chemo and my surgeon has the mastectomy to get rid of what's there right now.. I wish I could do something that makes my body and everybody's bodies totally uninhabitable to cancer. I've been working hard post the first diagnosis getting myself fit and healthy and building up my immunity and it still came back and I will soon temporarily wreck my immunity again with chemo...sure wish I could figure out something to fix whatever is causing it. I am an unwilling "culture medium" for cancer and want to evict it from my body permanently as I'm sure you guys do too.

SusanN 09-13-2016 08:32 PM

Hello Dearest Paula!! I have not been on here for MONTHS or more...soooo, had to be God...know I am praying for you!!!! Sending you huge, tender hugs!!!

Jedrik 09-13-2016 10:03 PM

Hi Paula, I am so sorry you have to go through all those therapy steps again. And I am totally with you: We need to do more than just remove the symptoms, we need to do something against the cause. And it's not "stay slim, exercise, eat sensible, sleep enough". That will just help you through therapy, but obviously it never stopped cancer from trying to kill us. But to me it looks like nobody cares. Nobody even asked how I lived, where I lived, what I thought might have happened.

Paula O 09-15-2016 03:54 AM

Nice to hear from you Susan and Jedrik.

Jedrik, I guess cancer probably has many, many things causing it but it sure would be great if we could get to the bottom of that and address that.

I am reading a book, "The Breast Cancer Pattern" by Dave Frahm who talks about out of balance hormones, iodine deficiencies and thyroid connections, etc.

jacqueline1102 09-15-2016 02:54 PM

Hello Paula,

I'm so sorry you have to go through all that again. You asked great questions. I attended a medical cancer conference about a year ago as someone who works in the health care arena. Breast cancer was dicussed during one with a special focus on Her2+. I can send you the information later as I am home now. The research basically said this: women who are already geneitcally Her2+ will be more likely to develop breast cancer than the Er/Pr + patients. Say, for example, out of 100 women who are ER/PR+ maybe 30-40% of these women will develop breast cancer. Out of 100 Her2+ women, 60-65% percent of these women will develop breast cancer. I will have to check back later to get the hard data for everyone. I then asked what can we do about prevention with let's say starting at the age of 18 for all women, would there be some genetic intervention for the Her2 women patients? The discussion then led to do all women starting at the age of 18 get testing to determine their hormone status and with armed with that data if disocvering one is Her2+ how would that help, since at this point in time we don't know how to circumvent the cancer cells? That being said, can you eat right, never ever drink alcohol, exercise, be lean into adulthood, etc....and still get breast cancer if you are Her2+ specifically? The data may suggest that. This is a WTF situation. And yet, some answers in that genetic markers are going to be huge in the future, even more so. Hope this helps. Enjoy a healthy salad tonight while eating some chocolate. :)

Take care,

Jackie

IrvineFriend 09-15-2016 06:22 PM

I'm sorry to hear Paula. My family history is not HER2+ but sister, Mom, Aunt, etc. had it come back in the other breast within 5-10 years. Sorry you have to go through all this all over again.
-Julie

Paula O 09-16-2016 03:45 AM

Thanks for sharing, Jackie and Julie.

I'd love to hear more about that study, Jackie when you have time to post it.

Have a great day!

Paula

Mtngrl 09-16-2016 11:22 AM

Jackie--I don't understand the "genetically HER-2 +" statement that you made. Can you please clarify?

Amy

Mtngrl 09-16-2016 11:53 AM

Paula--

So sorry you have to go through this again! Best wishes and oodles of luck to you.

Amy