HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Phooey--Brain Mets (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=66303)

Mtngrl 07-15-2017 11:13 AM

Phooey--Brain Mets

I am having double vision, and I'm also having trouble with balance. I haven't fallen but I'm quite wobbly.

I had a brain MRI Thursday and learned yesterday that I have three brain tumors and some swelling. I will start taking Decadron for that on Monday. And I will meet with the neurosurgeon on Wednesday.

The report says all the tumors are "resectable," which sounds like a good thing.

Any relevant experience, strength, or hope (or encouragement of any kind) would be welcome.

StephN 07-15-2017 11:30 AM

Re: Phooey--Brain Mets

Sorry to hear that you are not now NED in your head, but you will be soon again. By "resectable" I hope the doctor means that you can get after those three spots with something like cyberknife or other radiosurgery. Maybe proton beam.

For me the decadron was the worst part about the whole process of treating my brain mets. I was very compliant with the pill schedule and this will keep you somewhat wired. At times I just talked and babbled because my mind was spinning from that drug!

I will be following for good news!

Carol Ann 07-15-2017 05:31 PM

Hi Amy,

Just seeing this after answering your other post ... standing by with StephN to hear those brain mets have been resected to the trash bin never to return!!

Carol Ann

Mtngrl 07-15-2017 06:11 PM

Thank you, Friends.

I have confidence in my cancer center and my oncologist. I am hoping for the best.

Decadron makes me "wired" and causes unpleasant personality changes, but I understand the need for it. I don't imagine we want our brains to swell!

I've had a good six years. I hope to see many more good years. No need to despair at this point.

Amy

Pamelamary 07-16-2017 12:07 AM

Amy, sorry to hear this news. Hope the treatment will totally eliminates the brain mets - you can take heart from the many women on this site who have beaten them, including our poster girl, StephN. All digits crossed for a great outcome.
Best wishes..... Pam

jaykay 07-16-2017 09:36 AM

Phooey is right! And resectable (as others have pointed out) sounds good to me.

Janis

Mtngrl 07-16-2017 10:26 AM

Luck is such an important, but random, factor, isn't it?

I'll keep you posted.

Paula O 07-16-2017 05:12 PM

I'm sorry you are going through all this, Amy. Cancer doesn't fight fair. I'm glad you have a great medical team you have confidence in, sounds like you are in good hands and getting excellent care.Wishing you the best and rooting for ya, Paula

Ramsay_Bolton 07-17-2017 01:33 AM

Sorry for your news. How big are the lesions? It is unusual to resect more then one lesion unless they are situated closely together.

Gamma knife is a better option if the leisons are less then 3cm and aren't causing mass effect. My wife has had 19 lesions treated by Gamma Knife over the past 18 months and they have all now virtually gone. The side effects are minimal.

dawny 07-19-2017 05:00 AM

Sending hugs Amy ❤️

Laurel 07-21-2017 03:35 PM

POOPITY-POOP, Amy! Gosh, I just want to swear up a storm at his news! Sorry, but seriously I just want to cuss a blue streak! Cancer makes me so mad!

I am so sorry you are facing this. "Resectable" does sound as though you will be a candidate for cyberknife or some such. When will you hear more about your plan for treatment? I am believing for an amazing response and outcome with whatever treatment you choose.

You have my sympathy about the need for decadron. That stuff made me a new level of wacko! I hope you don't pull all-nighters watching a marathon of "Ice Road Truckers" as I did once! I will keep you in my earnest prayers. Please keep us posted as things move forward.

In your corner,
Laurel

Juls 07-22-2017 08:33 AM

Hi Amy

Just wanted to say "thinking of you" & fingers crossed for a great treatment plan.

Juls

Mtngrl 07-22-2017 11:15 AM

Thanks everybody!

I will start targeted radiation treatment next Friday. Just 5 sessions. If all goes well I'll be back to normal in a few weeks.

I will get a leave of abscence from my PhD program--with a due date extension.

Feeling hopeful.

Carol Ann 07-22-2017 01:58 PM

Amy,

Holding the thought for you that exactly that happens!

Consider those mets GONE!!!

Standing by here with you,

Carol Ann

DianaMK 07-23-2017 06:26 PM

So sorry you are going thru this. Prayers sent.

thinkpositive 07-24-2017 05:32 PM

Amy,

I haven't been on the site much lately and was so bummed to see that you have brain mets. You've been through so much already it just seems so unfair that you've now got to contend with this. I don't know what to say. I hope your treatments are effective with manageable side effects. I'll be sending healing thoughts your way.

Take care,
Brenda

caya 07-25-2017 06:06 PM

Amy, I am hoping that your brain mets are knocked out from the radiation. Sending good thoughts and prayers from Canada.

all the best
caya

MaineRottweilers 07-27-2017 12:17 PM

Amy,

I just checked in after a short absence. Yuck, yuck, yuckity YUCK! I'm sorry you have to deal with this now. My fingers and toes are crossed for you. Keep us posted. I hope you are back to your PhD studies in no time at all, you've worked so hard.

Rolepaul 07-28-2017 08:40 AM

Amy,
I am in the Denver area. Nina is 5.5 years remission from Brain mets from HER+. Call me at 269-598-2863 or email me at chemengmba@aol.com. We used Intrathecal Herceptin and Toptecan. Rocky Mountain Cancer Center in Boulder is doing the systemic but Nina flies down to MD Anderson in Houston Texas for the IT herceptin treatment because that is where we started. Resectable means they are likely leptomeningeal, but confirm that. I have helped 25 to 30 women get treated with a high level of stability or remission. Carol from Malta, Mario's wife, is one of the few that has had the cancer come back, but that was after four years.
Paul

Joan M 08-01-2017 06:34 PM

Amy,

I'm hopeful that the targeted rads will eliminate the mets. Good luck with the treatment!

All my best,

Joan