HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   The chemo curls... lol (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=28879)

Chelee 06-24-2007 07:14 PM

The chemo curls... lol

Before DX with bc...I had long very *fine straight* hair. I could NOT get it to curl nor would you see any kind of waves in it. Just long & STAIGHT. I finished chemo on 6-06. So its been a yr now since my last cycle of TCH. When my hair grew back in I have what I call the "chemo curls". lol Most of you can probably relate.

My question is...the women that runs this little shop where I bought my wigs, scarves, hats, prothesis, etc...she deals with mainly cancer patients all day long. She told me my hair will straighten back out any time now. I am curious if it really will because I was just going to go have it cut & now I am concerned about doing that IF its really going to straighten out. I have to admit though...I kind of like this short hair...its so nice to just wash and wear. Comb it back and go...I've never been able to do that. Saves me LOTS of time. Love that part of it. :)

Have any of you had the "chemo curls" at first and then your hair straightened back out? If so how long did it take?

Chelee

AlaskaAngel 06-24-2007 08:03 PM

One answer

Chelee,

I had waist-long slightly wavy brunette hair prior to treatment that was easy to comb and easy to wave, with just a few stray gray hairs at age 50. After treatment I really liked the curliness and decided not to cut it and see what happened. The ends have stayed quite curly but the newer hair above it has come out straight. Still brunette, but with more gray here and there. When I lost my hair I figured it would be 5 years before it was the same length and that turned out to be right on target. It is not as thick or as strong as it used to be. Keeping the curls on the ends means the ends seem to constantly be tangling up and with the hair drier than it used to be it is harder to get a brush through it without breaking it and takes much longer. (Different ages and treatments might make a difference too.)

A.A.

Yorkiegirl 06-24-2007 08:36 PM

I know with me I never had curls at all. my hair came back straight and thicker and darker than original.

It's so starnge how every one's hair comes back.

Sherryg683 06-24-2007 10:17 PM

It's been 18 months since my diagnosis and my hair is still curly. I have always worn my hair very short on sides and back but long on top and it's always been straight. I don't really like these curls at all and was hoping the new hair would grow out straight but it just keeps waving and curling...sherry

bobbiw 06-25-2007 05:21 AM

Pre chemo I had long reddish brown curly hair (that I had never liked UNTIL right before I was diagnosed go figure!). My hair came back absolutly straight and blond. The blond didnt last long and it then turned very dark with a few specks of grey. It is now just beginning to show a bit of a wave and is again turning color.....brown. I finished chemo May 2006. I have kept my hair short (easy to care for) and would like for it to stay straight but it will be what it is huh?
Bobbi

nitewind 06-25-2007 06:01 AM

My hair has always been very thin, poker straight and blond. I finished chemo in January of this year. It's very slowly coming back but it is thick, straight and brown! I was kind of looking forward to a little bit of curl. Oh well, at least it's hair!

Believe51 06-25-2007 07:20 AM

How Cute

Chelee, I do not know if this helps, but my husband was a strawberry-blonde and now it is salt & pepper. I am wondering the same. Either way it is the softest hair I ever felt!!..>Waiting For A Miracle..>Believe51

Vi Schorpp 06-25-2007 07:27 AM

My hair

My hair was straight before I lost it and it came back like curly lamb's hair. It took about a year to get back to my normal jaw-length style and it was just as straight as before. I found that my letting it grow the weight of the hair pulled it straight.

janet11 06-25-2007 09:31 AM

Well, I'm 5 months post chemo, and my hair is now long enough (but not thick) to go EVERY which way... Not sure if this is called 'curly'. More like 'uncontrollable' (*laugh*)

http://mysite.verizon.net/wb9zph/fivemonths.jpg

juanita 06-25-2007 10:37 AM

My hair was straight before and defied curling of any kind. I am now a year from herceptin and my hair is still curly. If I keep it short it is not too bad. And it's now thicker and grayer than it was before too.

Louise O'Brien 06-25-2007 11:42 AM

New colour

Mine has come back - white! Silvery white!
It's not my normal colour - it's usually mid-brown with a bit of salt and pepper mixed in, which I covered with highlights.

It's a huge adjustment everytime I look in the mirror but it's kind of flattering. My husband loves it; my neighbour says it looks great. It's such a drastic change I haven't had the confidence to show it to my friends just yet because I know they're going to be shocked. It's time though. This weekend - I unveil.

And I'm going to roll with it - I've got huge silver hoop earrings and will get the makeup and primary colours/black-white combos to match.
I'm just happy to have hair again.

charlotte 06-25-2007 11:46 AM

chemo curls

Hi: before chemo, my hair was straight and a nice shade of brown... when it came back, I look lilke a raccoon.. My Dr. says he thinks I would make a nice looking redhead.... still making up my mind which color or what I want to do with it.... I am just glad I have hair to talk about....( no curls either) this time...

MJo 06-25-2007 01:07 PM

I loved my chemo curls. They lasted about 8 months. My hair is straight again, the way it was pre-chemo. Enjoy chemo curl while you can.

Patricia 06-25-2007 09:44 PM

being picky but overall am just so happy to have hair

2 Attachment(s)
First off, can I just say, I am SO grateful to just have hair now!

I used to have great thick, wavy red hair (with lots of blonde and gold highlights) before chemo (see pic below with red scarf-my avitar is after i cut it for chemo, but before it started to go) and after chemo it came back like down at 1st and was a dirty blond color. Little by little it has gotten more red and now it is clearly an auburn color, but still quite different than my color before. I have lost all of the natual shades and highlights, it is now more monotone.

As far as curls go, before I was very lucky and had very adaptable hair that was generally wavy depending on how it was styled. It came back very curly and unmanageable (see pic with my son last Thanksgiving) It was to the point that I had it straightened not long after that pic was taken.

As time has gone on and I have let it grow it seems to be getting straighter and returning to my original texture. It has been 10 mos since I finished Herceptin.

Hugs,
Patricia

SoCalGal 06-25-2007 11:51 PM

Hair, hair now

Funny - give us a chance to talk about something REALLY important and everyone is so happy to weigh in. I want to talk about my hair, too.

Mine came back super curly like a french poodle. I kept cutting it and after awhile it returned to normal which was curly but not like a dog.

Thanks for asking!

Adriana Mangus 06-26-2007 12:07 AM

My answer

It's different for everyone. Mine came back curly and I did like it,then after 2-3 hair cuts it went back to straight just like before chemo. Good luck, at least you have hair...:-)

Chelee 06-26-2007 12:40 AM

Wow, what a mixed bag we have here. lol After reading all the posts I can see there is no way to find out which way my hair will go in time. Seems we have more curls and waves though. So strange how chemo causes this. If its going to stay wavy like this...this week I will have to break down & go to a hair salon. This will be the 1st time in my life...can you imagine that. lol I'm just thankful I have some hair on my head that is actually long enough to cut. :)

Chelee

tousled1 06-26-2007 08:04 AM

Before I started chemo my hair was auburn in color with lots of natural highlights and natural curl. Not curly but I never had to use a curling iron. My hair grew back drab brown with lots of gray and straight as a poker. I've been having it trimmed every 2 months and it's still the same drab hair. My daughter told me the other day that I should color my hair! I'm just thankful that I have hair that I can complain about!

Liz J. 06-26-2007 05:30 PM

chemo curls

Hi all,

Before chemo my hair was totally unmanageable. Wavy and thick on top, straighter on bottom and always wanting to go its own way. After chemo(9/05), it started to grow like crazy. I finally broke out after three months and took the wig off during a trip to Atlantic City. That gave me the confidence to go to work without the wig. The chemo curls must have done me justice. I never had so many women ask me where I got my perm. I told most of them ( who looked like they could handle it) that I got it in the oncology office (lol). Anyhow, the curls lasted about 3 haircuts. Then a few months ago the texture got like brillo. I knew it was time to go back to short hair. Now I am getting compliments on that. As all here, I am just thankful to be telling the story. Nature takes its course and we all have a different reaction. The other day I was getting a manicure. Nails don't grow since Herceptin (but, Thank God for Vitamin H). I don't go often, mostly just for the relaxation, pampering and have some good polish put on. I ran into a woman I had met there before. She is also post BC. We were talking and all of a sudden this young woman walks in and starts complaining that the hairdresser made her look like Medussa. She announced (for all to hear) that her husband would not recognize her and he would not like all these curls. This woman and I just gave eachother the knowing look, smiled and went about out business. She was so obsessed that she is probably still in the nail salon carrying on about this. Oh well. We do learn alot.

All the best,

Liz J.

Bev 06-26-2007 07:36 PM

Went from fine straight brown hair with highlights to gray down to fine dark brown curls. Cut that gray stuff off right away. It's approaching 2 years since the beginning of chemo and I think the curls are getting less tight at the top of my head. I hated my curls at first but now I'm going to miss them. I received many compliments on them. Even though I need a trim, I don't want to cut the curls. My son did say I looked like a sheep, but he meant that in a nice way.

It looks like eventually our hair returns to more or less it's original condition plus some well earned gray. BB.