HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Herceptin / Tykerb (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Question on xeloda/tykerb (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=55056)

alexandra1 07-10-2012 06:55 AM

Question on xeloda/tykerb

My wife is on the combo xeloda/tykerb. she also takes herceptin. Has anyone experienced fatigue on this combo. My wife is very tired.

Rolepaul 07-10-2012 07:10 AM

Re: Question on xeloda/tykerb

I am sorry to hear that your wife is tired. That can be part of the side effect of this combo. If she has hands and feet that are sore, please let me know as there is some great literature on this Xeloda side effect. It must be addressed before there is cracking (the skin will start to look dry). You can send me a private message and I will let you know how Nina was able to get this addressed to the point that she could work in the OR and still walk 5 miles per day.

Jeanette 07-10-2012 08:14 AM

Hello , I am on Xeloda and had a terrible time with feet. When I went on a cruise, I found this cream called Alhydran, made in Belguim, it was used for burn victims and after surgery. I used it as my feet got a little sun burnt. It is made from aloe and we went to the aloe factory in Aruba to get it. It made a world of difference, tried to get it in the US, but because of some silly regulations they can't sell it here. Even called Aruba and they can't ship it here. What does your wife use? Tks for any info, Jeanette

Rolepaul 07-10-2012 09:24 AM

Monique Spencer, no relation, discovered henna (two heaping tablespoons, a squirt of lemon juice, mix to a paste with water. Micro 30 seconds, let sit 12 hours minimum (longer is better), put on with a paint foam brush, let sit for 30 minutes minimum, wash off. Use bag balm on hands and feet (cloth gloves and socks). The henna will turn the bottom of your feet orange (do not use it on your hands). Also, Vitamin K cream will help. All of these have a scientific basis. Henna and Vitamin K have a base structure that works to prevent the micro fractures and coagulation of Xeloda rich lymph in the feet using a natural blood vessel repair mechanism. Vitamin K used to be called the coagulation vitamin. It does work and is in clinical trials in California. Henna can be bought in any Asian food store, look for Jamil and the 2011 harvest.

MJsHusband 07-10-2012 09:24 AM

MJ had extreme fatigue on Xeloda. Especially during the second week of the cycle. There were a few times where she just said she couldn't take it anymore and wanted to give up. Fortunately, she toughed through 4 cycles. Our onc wanted here to do 2 more but she said no. Fortunately, she didn't experience the hand/feet side effects that some get.

yanyan 07-10-2012 02:21 PM

i am on my 5th cycle of xeloda and tykerb. Today is my 6th day of cycle 5 and i feel very tired. I have cracked heel and thumb. My doctor told me to use bag balm, which seems to work if i apply it 2 times a day. It is very oily and does not smell good but serves the purpose.

Rolepaul 07-10-2012 02:31 PM

Yanyan,
Try Monique Spencer's solution. Get some powdered henna 2011 harvest by Jamila works great) from an Indian food store. Take 2 big tablespoons into a plastic container. Add a good five second squirt of lemon juice. Add water to get a really thick paste. Microwave 30 seconds. Let sit 12 hours. Microwave another 30 seconds and use foam paint brush to put on the bottoms of your feet, including between the toes. Wait 30 minutes and rinse it off. The stuff stains flooring so do it over the bathtub or outside. It will turn the bottom of your feet orange, but works great. Good for two or three days. Also Vitamin K cream. Bag balm at night with cloth socks on the feet and cloth gloves on the hands. Udder cream during the day.