HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Gabapentin - side effects (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=63658)

Saygoon 08-25-2015 10:11 AM

Gabapentin - side effects

Who out there has taken Gabapentin for neuropathy? The side effects I have had are horrible so I quit taking it. Now they want to put me on Duloxetine, which after reading about it - it isn't much better. Anyone have any suggestions?

donocco 08-25-2015 12:33 PM

Re: Gabapentin - side effects

Im curious what side effects you had from Gabapentin.
Most people have drowsiness as the main side effect. Because it is excreted from the kidney unchanged and not metabolized, Gabapentin has few drug interactions. Sorry you had so many side effects from it.

Paul

Coux92 08-25-2015 05:47 PM

I just saw this after I posed a question about Gabapentin for hot flashes. I'm sorry I can't offer advice about Duloxatine but would you mind sharing your experiences on Gabapentin?

donocco 08-25-2015 05:58 PM

Duoloxetine is has the same mechanism of action as Effexor
(Venaflaxine). It is a combination Serotonin Uptake and Norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor. The side effects are drowsiness, sometimes insomnia, dizziness constipation, and dry mouth. Some people have an increase in blood pressure. The liver enzymes will probably be monitored. If you can tolerate Effexor you probably will be able to tolerate Cymbalta(Duoloxetine). I wouldnt take the two together.

Paul

Lucy 08-26-2015 06:36 AM

I was prescribed gabapentin for neuropathy but opted not to take it after reading the possible side effects. The neuropathy can be annoying but I felt the side effects of the gabapentin would be worse. Other drugs have been suggested (Lyrica comes to mind) but none ever seemed worth the possible side effects. Alpha Lipoic Acid was also recommended (OTC drug, no prescription required). The alpha lipoic acid that I picked up also had L-Carnitine in it. I took it for a while and didn't see any improvement so I discontinued it. Maybe I didn't take it long enough, I don't know. I don't recall any negative side effects from taking it though.

How bad is your neuropathy? Could you get by without taking anything?

I'm sorry you're having to deal with this on top of everything else. I'm sending you good vibes and I remember you in my prayers. hugs

Saygoon 08-26-2015 02:39 PM

The main side effect I couldn't tolerate was depression. I would bust into tears for no reason. It also created extremely high anxiety. Once I quit taking it I returned to "normal" in a couple of days. It didn't really seem to help my pain. Fatigue,dry mouth and the beginning of mouth sores as well. I am really just wanting something for pain that won't be so hard on me. My doc prescribes Cymbata and tramadol only to have the pharmacist tell that that runs me very high risks of seizures!

donocco 08-26-2015 06:02 PM

Saygoon
The problem is that the Combo of Tramadol and Cymbalta may
cause the Serotonin Syndrome. Tramadol is chemically very similar to Effexor so in a way it like taking Cymbalta and effexor together. Tramadol is not the best choice for pain relief with Cymbalta. An opiate would be safer. Talk with your doctor.

Paul

suzan w 08-27-2015 03:22 PM

A dear friend of mine took gabapentin for major depression...with devastating results. Very rarely can side effects be fatal. Hers were. My only experience with anyone taking this drug.

MamaBexar 08-28-2015 03:00 PM

Saygoon,
I have been on Gabapentin 600mg. and Cymbalta 30mg. for several years for severe peripheral neuropathy. I always take it at night just before bed. It only took a few days to get over the wobbly disconnected feeling I felt at first. My neuropathy is idiopathic and predates my breast cancer. Not sure this will be of help you but here's hoping

Cath 08-30-2015 07:14 AM

Gabapentin has really helped my neuropathy. I was having burning pain, numbness and tingling in my lower legs and feet. I was diagnosed with peripheral neuropathy and started on Gabapentin. I also have back issues with a collapsed disk (or something like that) pressing on a nerve root and that pain has lessened also. I am now up to 2700 mg a day and it has helped me so much. It also has helped with my hot flashes. My only side effect that I notice is a dry mouth.

forher 08-30-2015 10:53 PM

I have neuropathy, too, and have an Rx for neurontin, but never really used it. My neurosurgeon put me on Lyrica. I tried it for a month. Decided I didn't want to take any more meds. But I think it worked. I don't have any info about it. Just wanted to reply to your post as soon as I read it.