HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Encouraging Survivor Stories (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=64110)

ttice 11-13-2015 02:44 PM

Encouraging Survivor Stories

Hello,
I am ER, PR, and HER2 positive. I just finished round 5 of 6 of TCH. Then, onto radiation (micromatastasis found in sentinel node), and Herceptin for a year. I need to hear some success stories :-) It was stage 2, had a double mastectomy in July, then chemo...Are there any women stage 2 that are on the other side with good results? I appreciate any positive news you feel like sharing. Also, I am 44 with two boys (19, 14). Thank you so much!

Tracy

tricia keegan 11-14-2015 01:45 PM

Re: Encouraging Survivor Stories

Hi Tracy,

You're doing great by the sounds of it and it won't be long before you're finished and on the other side of this. There are lots of long term survivors here thanks to Herceptin being approved for early stage, I celebrated ten years out last July and can't believe how fast the years have flown by and they will for you too:)

MaineRottweilers 11-14-2015 02:26 PM

Hi Tracy!

Sounds like you are doing well through you treatment. I am glad to hear it. I can remember when I first joined this board, I would scan signatures looking for ladies with pathologies like my own and follow to see how well they were doing. I would caution against doing too much of that. We are all unique and our cancers too are unique. Don't let fear steal a single precious moment of your time. Get out there and just LIVE because you get to, take advantage of it.

My best, TA

suzan w 11-14-2015 03:54 PM

Hi! like Tricia, I too celebrated 10 years NED in June 2015. She is a month behind me! There are several others in the 10 year club as well. I know, for me, Herceptin is my lifesaver. 10 years ago Herceptin was used mostly for metastases, and not for early stage BC. My oncologist prescribed it for me "off label" because it had not yet been approved by the FDC for use in early stage BC. Because it was "off label", my insurance company deemed it "experimental" and would not pay for it. Basically I went through almost every penny I had, and then some to pay for it myself. My success story sees me now, 10 years later, broke, but alive!! And very healthy for a 65 year old Grandmother with two 7 year old grandchildren, loving every minute of my most wonderful life!!! You have a great prognosis!!!

europa 11-14-2015 07:39 PM

Stage 2b here. Triple positive. 4 years out. Just passed the 4 year mark. I have some bizarre side effects still and have had some scares. But so far, I'm good and living my life fully and spherically.

Gerri 11-14-2015 07:53 PM

Chiming in as a long term survivor; my 10 year 'cancerversary' is November 23. I was also diagnosed with stage 2, grade 3, triple positive bc. Now dealing with the aches and pains of getting older - it's a wonderful thing! Life is good.

Andrea Barnett Budin 11-15-2015 12:01 PM

You hang tough, Sister!

I am a 20 year survivor (or a 17 year survivor) depending on if you count from initial dx or recurrence. Either way, I'm still here. Read my tale in my signature and be inspired dear lady!

4th stage 9 cm invasive lobular bc, 2 out of 21 nodes. Mastectomy, tram flap reconstruction, Adriamycin and CMF for 9 mnths. Those were the days in 1995. Then only ev 3 mnth blood tests to go on.

1998, through very very slightly elevated liver enzymes, after 6 mnths I asked for a sonogram of the liver. SAVE YOUR EVERY REPORT. CHECK THE NORMAL RANGE. SEE HOW YOU TREND. I decided to speak up. Now you can't shut me up. Always like a lady, I ask questions allll the time. I apologize, the docs and nurses tell me, NO. YOU'RE DOING JUST WHAT YOU SHOULD DO. Mistakes happen. Things get missed. NO BODY LOVES YOU MORE THAN YOU.

So be proactive. With recurrence throughout my liver (too many to count), I went on Taxotere for 2 mnths and continued for 9 mnths. We were able to add Herceptin (hot off the presses, FDA fast-tracked out of clinical trials for metastatic patients). That would be me! (I ASKED to be tested for HER2, having read up about all things bc from '95.) I was positive 80% which is how they calculated back then.

STAYED ON HERCEPTIN FOR 10 YEARS. '98 - '08. Been off now for 7 yrs. Doing well.

I wish you much success.

I have been taking supplements (dozens of them, to boost the immune system, bust up tumors, fight off free radicals, energize me, blah, blah (through my integrative oncologist who is well-informed about nutritional things and who teaches meditation and guided imagery).

Been doing this every day since 1998. Talk to my body every day. MINDBODY connection is real.

BE WELL!

Hope my story makes you smile.

Andi

Heathcliff4 11-15-2015 09:02 PM

Triple positive, stage 2, grade 3 here. "Only" two years out but knocking wood and enjoying a very normal and very active life w. my husband and two boys (now 9 and almost 5).

Kathryn

lkc Gumby 11-16-2015 09:25 AM

congratulations on getting through what i think is the hardest part of the bc journey. i am another long timer. over 10 years , stage IIIC enjoying life everyday.

Andrea Barnett Budin 11-16-2015 10:02 AM

My congratulations to every one of you fighters. Good job!

It isn't easy but it is glorious.

I want everyone to join the Survivors Club!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jra40 11-16-2015 10:35 AM

Triple Positive, Stage 2, 5 year survivor this month! Living in the moment, never in the past, never in the future. My journey gave me some great lessons and blessings - hoping yours will too!

Jessica

Andrea Barnett Budin 11-16-2015 11:47 AM

Well said, Jessica. I learned many life lessons through cancer that enriched my life enormously, ironically.

I live in the present moment. I live with love, gratitude, compassion and generosity of spirit.

And I am always ready to offer my experience as a learning tool for others, to inspire them, to help elevate them.