HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Herceptin / Tykerb (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Tykerb question (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=46097)

TriciaK 07-21-2010 11:01 PM

Tykerb question

My oncologist and I are looking at possible treatments for a new reoccurance of her2 cancer in both lungs. My echo shows my heart is too weak for more herceptin, which what I asked for. I will start on navelbine alone next week. My oncologist is considering tykerb too. However I don't swallow pills well, and prefer infusions. Can any of you on tykerb tell me how large the tykerb pills are? Are they capsules or tablets? I understand there are 5 required a day. I had mild side effects with herceptin and took it and navelbine for 15 weeks in 2005 until my ef dropped too low to continue. I've been cancer free for nearly 6 years so was hoping to use herceptin again. I would appreciate any suggestions and info about tykerb use from those familiar with it. Is it indicated even with the low heart efficiency? Thank you so much! TriciaK

my ejection factor

very few

Delaney 07-22-2010 01:27 AM

Re: Tykerb question

Hi Tricia,
I took 6 tyverb tablets every day for a year. They are biggish oval orange tablets, but easy to swallow. I had to have regular echo exams while on them (just as with herceptin). Overall, I really had no side effects. Best of luck to you.

Sheila 07-22-2010 05:19 AM

Tricia
The Tykerb pills are big, and orange, but they have a coating on them like an enteric coated aspirin that makes them slide down easy..I seem to remember that you cant break them or cut them when you take them, Keeping you in my prayers Tricia that Navelbine alone will work...I found it very easy to tolerate.

ElaineM 07-22-2010 10:16 AM

You can cut the Tykerb pills in half with a pill cutter you can buy at a pharmacy. Some people take 5 a day and some people take 4 a day depending on what kind of chemo they take with the Tykerb. Some people reduce the dose for a few days if they have alot of side effects

vlcarr 07-22-2010 09:18 PM

I don't swallow pills well at all but did OK with tykerb. I think it was the coating and the shape. I never tried breaking them but that sounds like a great idea.

Keeping you in my thoughts:)

Sheila 07-23-2010 05:55 AM

My bottle contained a label which stated in bold letters not to chew, break or crush Tykerb...if you google TYKERB or Lapatinib, it will tell you the same info....

It can affect the absorption and toxicity levels of the drug

I also took Brenda's advice (a nd a few others) and gradually worked up to 5 pills a day...started with 3, then after 4 days went to 4, then after another 4 or 5 days went to 5....I had no issues and was able to then take 5 with no issues.

vlcarr 07-23-2010 03:10 PM

oops, not a good idea:)

Sandra in GA 07-24-2010 07:59 AM

I have always had difficulty taking large pills. Especially those potassium ones with the square edges. They always seem to get stuck. But, my lapatinib (Tykerb) just slid right down. No problem at all! I wish the the same success!

EB1203 07-27-2010 07:45 AM

Hi, I am still new to the boards and wanted to ask about cutting Tykerb in half. My Mother-in-law just got her tykerb in and is refusing to take it because of the large pill size. The bottle and booklet all say to not cut and I have a call into the doctor asking if cutting them in half is better then none at all. I've tried getting her to take it with pudding or applesauce and she still refuses. Do ya'll have any other techniques to suggest?

Mother-in-law diagnosed @ 51 in May 2009 Stage III Her2 +
Diagnosed in July 2010 with Stage IV Brain Metastases

Sandra in GA 03-02-2011 07:20 AM

The tablets are large; however, they slip down very easily. Please encourage her to try just one. She might be pleasantly surprised at the ease of taking them as I was.

Sandra