HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Body (odor, fluid) Changes (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=49491)

PatriceH 04-05-2011 04:26 AM

Body (odor, fluid) Changes

Strange question, I'm sure...My herceptin treatments ended last August. In recent months, I feel as if my body "fluids" have changed some. I seem to have more yeast infections, or one that just won't go away. I'll address it with my doc in a few weeks.

But also, it's like my body fluids (oils in face, for example) have changed in recent months. Like when garlic comes out your pores...I feel like I have a different odor...Not sure if it's related to possible cause of yeast infections...but something is different.

Perhaps body adjusting to a new phase of no medicine?

I also take either Tylenol or Excederin once a day...

Also, Vit D, Multi Vit for women, and calcium. Kind of wondering if I'm getting too much of a good thing that is affecting my body?

Just wondering if anyone else experienced this.

I'm not sure how to phrase it with the doctor(s), but you ladies are "sisters" :)

Thanks for any input.

Lien 04-05-2011 03:36 PM

Re: Body (odor, fluid) Changes

The yeast infection may be turning systemic. It has a very distinct odor. Get yourself to a doctor and treat it aggressively. You don't want to end up with yeast all over your body.
You would need several days of treatment with Diflucan. If you feel lousy after you start taking the pills, this is probably a sign of dying yeast cells. They can make you feel like you have the flu. It will pass, but you need to take the full course of anti-fungals. Many people stop taking the pills too soon and end up with a chronic infection.
It took me years to get rid of it.

Love
Jacqueline

Jackie07 04-06-2011 02:20 PM

I was told that because chemotherapy kills good bacteria as well as bad bacteria on the linings of inner tissue, we get problems like the ones you've described.

Eat yogurt and increase the time we spend exercising will help.

Lien 04-06-2011 02:51 PM

Chemo is the most likely culprit. But if this is a bad infection, yoghurt and exercise won't do the trick. Please don't take this lightly. I did and it wasn't a good idea.

tricia keegan 04-06-2011 04:12 PM

I've heard of others say that being in chemo gave them a bad odour too, I did'nt notice it myself but do get it checked just in case!

Jackie07 04-06-2011 08:26 PM

Jacqueline,

Thanks for the correction. I was (somehow my brain just short-circuited) thinking about the digestive tract problems that were caused by the loss of the good bacteria after chemotherapy.

That's when I was told by the GI doctor to eat Yogurt and exercise... (Seems 'exercise' is always recommended after BC. :)

pscheer 04-09-2011 05:03 PM

I had the odor "down there" a few times during chemo and after. I got one pill prescribed by the Dr. and ate yogurt a couple of times a day and two weeks later I was nice and fresh again. I waited to tell the onc the first time, 'cause I was embarrased, but then I read online that chemo can cause the yeast. As far as smelling an odor come out my pores, I noticed that after chemo. I could barely stand to be in my own skin for a couple of days after each chemo.

Laurel 04-09-2011 05:11 PM

Are you also taking any anti-hormonal drugs such as an A.I. or Tamoxifen? You hit menopause and are very dry thereafter. Of course chemo wipes out the good bacteria in our bodies. I suggest going to a health store and buying REFRIGERATED probiotics. Finally, please do not take Tylenol with any frequency or any product containing acetaminophen. It is ridiculously hard on the liver, damaging it with each dose.

Good luck! Hope you get results.

ammebarb 04-10-2011 06:33 AM

I also noticed the odor change during chemo, and apparently it made a deep subconscious impression. Years later I was in a strange hospital and without any signs or indications, I KNEW that there was chemo near by. I asked a nurse and she told me it was on the other side of a near wall. It is a smell that is distinctive and not easily forgotten!

Barb A.