HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Keeping Your Mind Off of BC (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   Survival Packs (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=35344)

Bill 08-31-2008 05:28 PM

Survival Packs

Hi gang! About ten years ago I read a book encouraging people to set up and maintain a "survival pack". With the posts regarding the latest hurricane threat, I thought I would share some of my survival pack info. The goal of the survival pack is to provide you with everything you need to survive through any type of crisis situation/calamity for at least 3 days, barring any catastrophic injury. The pack should be small and lightweight, a knapsack type. It should be taken with you wherever you go! You can keep it in the trunk of your car and take it with you on any hikes or trips down the river, or wherever you go. In this day and age, you never know when a crisis will arise, and you're on your own. I will list the basic components that the survival pack should contain, and you guys can personalize your own. Keep in mind- the pack should not get so large and heavy that it is a problem to carry. Mine is less than 10 pounds or so. Make sure it is a knapsack, so that you can throw it on your back and walk with it if you need to hike and survive to a safe area. I have what I call a master survival pack containing an emergency radio and a water filter system, but most packs shouldn't need those. My pack can care for 4 people for at least 3 days. Everyone should have their own pack. I'm going to list items, and you guys determine the amount. Personalize your own pack. Please make one, and if you are on any meds., stick at least a 3 day supply in it. If all this seems like a real pain in the butt to do, think about the last time your car broke down in the desert or you got stuck in a snowstorm or whatever, or lost power for a day or two. This pack could save your life, or a loved one's life. Start setting it up tomorrow. Wal-mart has really nice packs for cheap! I recommend getting a bladder-type pack. I have one and all my survival stuff fits in it and there's still room for extra day-hiking stuff. Here are the basics for any survival pack. If anyone wants to chime in, please feel free. Emergency poncho (99cents) lighter, matches, candles, small LED flashlight with spare batts., compass, survival blanket(tin-foil), glow sticks, 50 ft. small rope, bottled water, food(should be protein bars, trail mix, nuts, etc.) knife, leatherman type tool, Advil, Excedrin(contains caffeine-2 or 3 days without a coffee,tea, soda fix will make you wish you were dead) first aid kit, sheet plastic(for shelter),pencil, paper,fishing line, hooks, float, small mirror(signalling and primping) firestarter, a roll of electrical tape(many uses-repair and field bandaging), needle and thread, insect repellant, knit hat (skull cap or whatever you call may call them- the goal is to cover the head and the base of the skull where the hypothalamus lies, which regulates body temperature.) tin foil, string, clear plastic bags. Food, water and batteries should be rotated quarterly. Please set these packs up immediately. I want to read posts in the future about how these packs helped you. Don't be the ones that get in a jam and think, "aw, darn, I wish I had that pack-thing Bill was talking about"

StephN 08-31-2008 07:13 PM

Once again our buddy Bill is on the job!

My younger sister has been working in skyscrapers in downtown Seattle for many years now. She has had a backpack survival kit in her car and taken in to work every day for several years.

She recently showed me her "NEW" survival pack - a rolling pack - so she doesn't have to carry it any more. Just roll it with her.

For the past few years she has been working for Amazon.com and they are located in an old art deco Veterans hospital building made of brick. It has been completely earthquake proofed, etc, as much as possible. But they are very big on employee safety.

She also has half the trunk of her car filled with emergency stuff for her 2 daughters. We don't go THAT far, but have some supplies here at home gathered into a couple of medium size plastic bins.

They tell us that another one of our mountains may blow its top, so even without hurricanes, they find something to warn us about.

hutchibk 08-31-2008 08:54 PM

Living in LA during the Northridge quake taught me alot about staying prepared and having a survival pack. Then, on 9/11, I decided to keep it well stocked all the time. I do need to add 5 days of water to it, and check the batteries, but other than that, it's in pretty good shape.

Another thing to consider is a survival pack for your pets. Have carriers, bowls, leashes, collars, litter boxes, food, and meds ready to go. Remember to add your pet's water needs in with yours when buying water... you will need to share water with them.

Also, not only canned food for yourself, but a CAN OPENER!!! And a deck of cards doesn't hurt.

Kathy S in Tokyo 09-01-2008 03:44 AM

Disaster Readiness

Great timing with your post Bill. Today the kids all had the annual disaster talks at school and came home asking about our survival pack. The neighborhood committee does drills a few times a year so we know where we can go for shelter and food if a big earthquake hits (and how to prepare the food in big pots for the entire neighborhood).

I live in an apartment building with many senior citizens and we've made sure that there is someone on each floor who knows which residents may need assistance in escaping. We handed out whistles to every resident so they can use them in emergencies but I have a feeling that most of them have stowed them away somewhere and won't be able to access them easily if they remember them.

I had to re-pack our survival kit and give all the old disposable diapers in it away as my kids have been out of diapers for quite some time. I also let the kids eat the rations for snacks every so often and restock to keep things fresh. Municipalities here are pretty quick at getting meals to serve to disaster survivors who all seem to have their own survival kit dishes but with no water for washing up, survivors have commented that a bit of Saran wrap over the bottom of the plate or bowl before getting a portion of whatever rice or veggie soup on offer (typical Japanese volume menues) saves the food from sticking and can be disposed of afterward.

These are things I hope we never need but know we will be glad to have should the need arise.

notamrnpsn 09-01-2008 09:30 AM

Survival pack

There is always good old MRE's. I think you can get them almost anywhere now. Jeanette

juanita 09-01-2008 01:30 PM

I'll print this off for use, but we always have a survival kit of sorts here in the house because living in the country makes for interesting weather at times. Especially in winter.

Bill 09-01-2008 01:37 PM

Thanks for the reminder, Kathy, I forgot to mention the whistle in each pack, and in each first aid kit-benadryl for stings and bites, and two small tubes of super-glue for closing large wounds in the field. Remember in a calamity situation, help may be days in getting to you. I also highly recommend learning how to use that compass. When lost in the woods with no distinct landmarks, people tend to walk in a huge circle, even when they think they are walking a straight line. Right-handed people walk akilter to the right and left-handed people veer slightly to the left, in big circles. Using that compass when lost in the woods is critical. The survival pack should be with you at all times, or at least within a quick trot to the trunk of your car. A crisis doesn't always wait until you are at home.

PinkGirl 09-01-2008 02:59 PM

The British Columbia Fish and Wildlife Branch is advising all
persons who use the out of doors in a recreational or work
related function to take extra precautions while in the field.

We advise the outdoorsman to wear small noisy bells on
clothing so as to give advance warning to any bears that might
be close by. We also advise people to carry "Pepper Spray" in
case of an encounter with a bear.

Outdoorsmen should also be on the watch for fresh bear activity
and be able to tell the difference between black bear feces and
grizzly bear feces. Black bear feces is smaller and contains lots of
berries and squirrel fur. Grizzly bear shit has small bells in it and
smells like pepper.

Bill 09-01-2008 03:05 PM

Lol, Pinkie! Oh, you are too much

Joe 09-01-2008 03:19 PM

O Boy...Did I get this wrong !!!

1 Attachment(s)
I had the Holiday on my mind...
This is a REAL Survival Pack

sassy 09-01-2008 07:57 PM

Wow Joe,

That should be a good enough pack for the whole site!

I say we all plan our emergency with Joe.

ElaineM 09-01-2008 09:07 PM

survival packs

Aloha,
Great ideas folks !! I need to make a new one (with a whistle too).

hutchibk 09-01-2008 09:36 PM

I'm hoping I can find Joe in case of emergency!

Vi Schorpp 09-02-2008 12:13 PM

PinkGirl

"Grizzly bear shit has small bells in it and
smells like pepper. "

Are the small bells in the feces from the aforementioned outdoorsmen?<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

PinkGirl 09-02-2008 12:22 PM

Yep, that's it Vi. The joke is that the small bells and the
pepper spray won't work on the grizzly's.

Vi Schorpp 09-02-2008 12:30 PM

PinkGirl

That's too funny! Leave it to you to come up with a unique survival kit.