HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Herceptin / Tykerb (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Herceptin - weekly versus 3 weeks (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=33339)

goops 04-02-2008 05:42 AM

Herceptin - weekly versus 3 weeks

I have been getting Herceptin every 3 weeks, my muga scan has now dropped to 47. I know with Taxol the side effects were supposed to not be as bad if you have it weekly. Is the same true for Herceptin? Is Herceptin less toxic to the heart if you have it weekly? If so, I am going to try and get my oncologist to change my treatment schedule.

pffida 04-03-2008 07:00 AM

I developed cardiomyopathy last fall, the result of taking Herceptin (every 3 weeks). After a brief rest (5 weeks), I started up again, only this time weekly. I have had no further problems. My onc has had pretty good success with changing the frequency when problems arise. It's at least worth a try. I'm six weeks away from completing Herceptin.

goops 04-03-2008 08:46 AM

Thanks Pffida - it is good to know it worked for you. I think I will ask to change to weekly, its a hassle but it is better than a damaged heart.

Becky 04-12-2008 06:32 PM

Hi

I have heard that the weekly dosage is milder to the heart than the triple dose. I never had a problem with it but I have heard this from other personally and on this board.

westswon 05-13-2008 11:43 AM

Has anyone taken Herceptin with Xeloda? I am starting it after three horrid rounds of HCTaxotere. thanks..westswon

goops 05-13-2008 05:20 PM

You would be probably better off making a new thread with that question, there will be more chance of someone who has taken Xeloda seeing it.

Julie2 05-13-2008 07:05 PM

I took Herceptin with xeloda after my mastectomy 3 years ago.Didn't have any major side effects.

Julie

Sheila 05-14-2008 02:42 PM

I have been getting my Herceptin every 2 weeks at the same time as my Taxol....I used to get it every 3 weeks, been on it for 4 1/2 years, no problems.

swimangel72 05-15-2008 02:42 PM

I'm getting Herceptin with Navelbine every two weeks......my onc wants to keep the side-effects as low as possible. So far, so good - I've only had two infusions so far, and the only side-effects were tiredness and diarrhea for two days. Of course I'll need another MUGA test possibly after the next infusion. It makes sense to me though- that a lower dose can be given if you get your infusions more frequently. My question is - have they done any real studies on 1 week, vs. 2 week vs. 3 week infusions of Herceptin - or is my onc just guessing?

Good luck Goops - let us know what your onc says!

DanaRT 05-23-2008 06:31 PM

I am glad I found this question. Just ending my rads, my onco will has suggested going from a weekly Herceptin infusion to every three weeks. I am very comfortable with the weekly regime.

Dana

Jackie07 05-24-2008 09:25 AM

Yes, Kathy, there are studies done about the dosage of Herceptin. I think they found out it has similar result, so they are giving weekly ones to avoid the heart damage.