HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   neulasta bone pain (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57459)

Dylanemmalexbenj 02-27-2013 06:30 PM

neulasta bone pain

Anyone else out there finding that the neulasta hurts like fricking crazy? We were told to take Claritin q 12 for three doses the day before and the day of treatment, but have heard others got some relief if you kept taking it for a while afterwards. The pain meds help a bit but make her feel goofy.

sassy 02-27-2013 07:59 PM

Re: neulasta bone pain

Hey guys, hang in there!

Neulasta probably caused me the most pain/discomfort of anything during my treatment. Largest bones suffered most, and my sternum was particularly painful. If pain meds are something you are comfortable switching, give it some thought. I worked the entire time during chemo, only missing on treatment days. (It was mostly for my mental health!) So fatigue probably intensified the pain. I took low dosage Darvoset. Really took the edge off the pain and didn't seem to affect my mental acuity greatly. Some of the other pain meds really messed with my head!

How long will she be on Neulasta? You should see improvement shortly after discontinuation.

My best to you,

Gerri 02-27-2013 08:08 PM

I never had bone pain with neulasta but did have pain with the injection. Around the third time I went in for the shot, the nurse rolled the syringe quickly between her hands for several seconds before injecting me -it was a LOT less painful! She explained that the medication has to be refrigerated until it is time for use, but if it is warmed up briefly before injecting it stings a heck of a lot less - worked for me! After that, I made sure to pass that tip on to whomever was giving me my shot that day. Sorry I can't give any advice about the bone pain, but if the actual injection is painful this may be of some help.

Best of luck

Jackie07 02-27-2013 11:24 PM

I remember my legs (calves) feeling very 'heavy' after the (bone-strengthening) shots. It took quite a while (2 weeks?) before it went away.

jaykay 02-28-2013 05:14 AM

My upper legs (thigh bones) feel heavy for about 5-6 days after the shot. It's not really what I would consider pain, but I have taken Aleve a couple of times and it seems to help me.

Sorry you're having problems!

NEDenise 02-28-2013 05:57 AM

Oh! How I remember that ache! My heart goes out to you.
As always...my advice is check with your team,
let them know what you're feeling,
what you've tried and
ask if there is something else that might help more.

Pain is not helping you fight cancer...it's stealing your mental, physical and emotional strength. There are PLENTY of things we have to be "brave" about. This might not be one of them! Please check. You deserve all the relief you can get!

Thinking of you!
Denise

snolan 02-28-2013 08:17 AM

After my first injection it felt like someone was stabbing me with a knife in my thighs. Had to leave work it hurt so much. After that it was just achy in my thighs and sacrum.

starwishn2 02-28-2013 07:23 PM

I took Claritan and Aleve at the same time. That is what my oncologist suggested and it helped. I took it right before I had the Neulasta shot and then for several days after. My pain wasn't too bad.

You're in my thoughts! I'm not that far removed from treatment and that dreaded pain.

Jeri

CoolBreeze 02-28-2013 09:17 PM

Yeah, I refuse to take it now. At my stage, I don't see the point of going through that much pain. Unfortunately, I had it really bad, to the point where I couldn't function. It hit my neck and my head and spine. I felt like I was delivering a baby through my spine. Awful drug for me.

Paula O 03-01-2013 04:58 AM

A friend of mine's doctor also put her on Clariton before and after the Neulasta, but for a longer course than you are on (I forget, seems like it was about a week?). She forgot the Clariton once and woke up feeling like she was run over with a truck--she's never forgot again and she said it's made a big difference in the bone pain.

Hope you get some relief,

Paula

suzan w 03-09-2013 08:25 PM

That bone pain was AWFUL...nothing helped for me...except time! Hang in there, it will become a vague memory some day!

IrvineFriend 03-10-2013 10:24 AM

I just gave myself my shot this AM and will try the Clariton to prevent the pain you all have experienced. I'm taking Tramidol for my headaches and that seems to help the general chemo pain. Finally taking it easy today.

europa 03-10-2013 03:54 PM

Ugh...yes. Very painful. The vaccine I got (the trial BC vaccine) has the same effect and it's brutal. I walk around like a little old lady for days after the shot.

IrvineFriend 03-11-2013 05:06 PM

I've only given myself two injections (out of 7) thus far and this hurts like crap! I feel like my knee caps are going to pop off and even my back and neck hurt to move. I left work early because I was getting grumpy and wasn't sure I could even get home if I waited much longer. I'm not doing the next injection until I talk to them and make sure I'm doing this right. I was up until 4:30 AM as I couldn't sleep through the pain. I have Tramadol which helped but right now it's not doing jack!

europa 03-11-2013 05:46 PM

I found that hot showers really helped me. They instantly made my joints and muscles feel better. I sometimes would take 4-6 showers a day to get by. But it worked for me.

Diana 03-12-2013 09:58 AM

I feel for you! I remember the pain it was torture. I took the Clairiton, I started it the day before the shot and stayed on it for a week. I also took pain meds. they did take the edge off of it. I could not work. Positive energy your way, I counted my blessings each day it helped me thru this.

Jean 03-13-2013 11:38 PM

Warm soaking baths helped me plus I would put a heating pad on my knees, shins and had another heating pad for my back. Helped a great deal.

Sorry you are in such pain.
Jean