HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Itching below skin on mastectomy site (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=47689)

dixie46 11-20-2010 01:22 PM

Itching below skin on mastectomy site

Have any of you experienced itching felt below the skin at the mast site? It cannot be relieved by rubbing over the skin or scratching and comes in a sort of wave every few seconds. If so, what if anything besides going crazy have you found to stop it.

I used to have this in the first few months after I had the mast and figured it was a nerve thing. But I am over 2 years out and it started again.

BonnieR 11-20-2010 01:48 PM

Re: Itching below skin on mastectomy site

Could it be shingles? What does your doctor have to say about it?

dixie46 11-20-2010 02:03 PM

Thank you for your reply, no I don't believe it's shingles as I have had relatives that have had that and this is more an itching on the inside of my body and nothing unusual looking on the skin itself. I have an appointment soon and if it continues I will ask.

Chelee 11-20-2010 03:13 PM

Dixie,
I'm almost five yrs out from having bilat mastectomies and I have three different places that will drive me crazy...it itches so bad. I can scratch that area till it's red and there is no relief in sight! Eventually it will go away till the next time. All three places are either above and one below the mastectomy scars, so if I were you I wouldn't worry too much. Of course always bring these things up to your onc to make sure...but I really doubt very much that its anything to worry about.

Chelee

BonnieR 11-20-2010 03:40 PM

Sounds like it just might be a nerve thing.
When I get a severe itch like that on my skin I find that applying an ice pack is the only thing that offers relief.
Keep the faith.

Debbie L. 11-20-2010 05:36 PM

Dixie,

Some people get relief from this nerve weirdness by applying pressure (instead of scratching). Who knows why now -- maybe the nerves are re-growing?

If you cannot see nor feel (with your fingers) any changes, if it's totally sensation and nothing else, it doesn't seem worrisome (just annoying).

Debbie Laxague

SoCalGal 11-21-2010 12:12 AM

I have had many different surgeries and have a lot of "triggers" for itching. For example, if I sit on a wood chair and the back of the chair is hitting me in a certain way, I will have "phantom" itching. Sometimes a regular bra can trigger the itching and sometimes a sports bra. I cannot wear a shirt with gathered elastic under the breast area, and so on. My last surgery was in 2003! It is residual nerve weirdness - phantom itching. The one thing that makes a big difference is exercise. Working out and keeping stretched and the blood circulating really helps the itching. You can try ice - that also can calm down itching or as Debbie suggested, pressure or rubbing. Or you can be a Buddha and just observe this annoying sensation!

suzan w 11-29-2010 03:20 PM

I am also affected by what I call "phantom itches". My chest still has a lot of numb areas/nerve damage, even after 5+ years out. It is when it itches under these numb areas that almost drive me wild!!! Nothing seems to help, and 'scratching' only makes it worse!!!

PinkGirl 11-29-2010 04:40 PM

I have this too. It feels itchy but when I scratch it's numb ...
Sometimes I just sort of massage the area instead of scratching ...
I think it's a nerve thingie.

CLTann 11-29-2010 07:11 PM

ask your doctor to prescribe the pepper ointment, which is the standard care for post herpetic neuralgia.

Good luck.

sassy 11-29-2010 08:40 PM

My numbness is strange--not numb at mast site, but numb under arm where nodes removed and around to back from previous staph infection. I get the phantom itching in the numb areas quite a bit. I can't feel scratching, but it does help to rub with a good bit of pressure. I'm guessing my numbness is fairly deep, so "itching" or nerve tingle, is deep inside too.

Mary L 11-30-2010 09:40 AM

Sassy, I still have the numbness in my left underarm area and it is over 7 years that I had my surgery. Isn't it wierd feeling when you shave. It's nerve damage and I guess it's permanent. I don't experience any of the itching. We are here, and are so blessed. Mary L

Westcoastgirl 12-10-2010 01:08 PM

I find that pressure helps but I have to have a layer of material between me and the mastectomy site or it does not seem to work, probably because it feels so weird.