HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Metastatis Breast Cancer - Herceptin required (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=55445)

Manish 08-09-2012 04:48 AM

Metastatis Breast Cancer - Herceptin required

Hello,

I am new member with this support group and this is my 1st post.

My wife Dimple (37Yrs), is undergoing treatment for Metastatic Breast Cancer Stage IV. Test results were as follows:
  • FNAC left breast suggested Metastatic Carcinoma
  • PET-CT showed necrotic mass lesion, bilateral cervical supraclavicular infraclavicular left axillary, retro pectoral, bileteral internal mammary lymphadenopathy.
  • Immunohistochemistry revealed tumor to be ER/PR positive, C-erb B2 (HER-2/neu) 3+.
Her Medical hispory is as follows:
  • Breast Cancer was confirmed during 1st Week of June 2012.
  • Cemotherapy was started during 2nd week of June 2012. Following cemo are being given at present:
    • Inj. Adriamycin (60mg/m2)
    • Inj. Cylcophosphamide (600mg/m2)
    • Inj. Zometa (4mg)
  • She will receive her 4th Cemo on 13/14 of Aug. 2012.
Doctor had recommended Herceptin to be given along with Cemotherapy from 5th Cemo onwards. Even after understanding the Pros of Herceptin, I am afraid of letting her have Herceptin as she weighs only 45 and not sure how she will cope up with the side effects. I am also afraid of sharing information about Herceptin Side effects with her as she may completely reject this idea.

Is Herceptin is the only way out at this time to control the growth?

Thanks you all in advance.
Manish Mittal (Husband of Dimple)

tricia keegan 08-09-2012 05:57 AM

Re: Metastatis Breast Cancer - Herceptin required

Hi and welcome,

I personally found any side effects to be fairly minimal for me, as you may know its a targeted therapy rather than a chemo so far easier to tolerate and I believe I would'nt be still here today seven years on had I had not had this wonderful drug.

I'm sure others can make more suggestions for you and I wish you and your wife luck in making this decision.

KDR 08-09-2012 05:57 AM

Hi, Manish,
Welcome, yet sorry you had to find us.
I'm not a doctor, so I won't comment on her treatment, but it seems as if there's a good plan in place.
Herceptin is not a hard drug to take at all. There are some side effects, but they are "doable." Wondering, since Dimple was diagnosed as metastatic, she might be right on to (Pertuzumab) Perjeta with Herceptin. Anyway, wishing you well along this journey, and will add there are many new and exciting drugs and strategies to fend off this diagnosis. I have heard that being triple positive HER2 garners a very good result.
Karen

Mtngrl 08-09-2012 07:19 PM

It's wise of Karen to refrain from second guessing the doctors. I will add that I, too, have no great problems with Herceptin. I hardly notice it. I'm a little tired the rest of the day after an infusion, and that's it.

Sorry you needed to join us, but welcome to the "club."

Bunty 08-09-2012 09:02 PM

Hi Manish,

sorry you and Dimple are having to go through this. I would also like to let you know that I'm now taking Herceptin for 4 1/2 years every 3 weeks, and I find it very tolerable. I had an infusion yesterday, and was out shopping right afterwards, and then dinner out with friends (with some wine too!) And today, have been out walking, doing errands. Only thing today is a slightly drippy nose, which is a side effect for some. Herceptin is regarded as one of the most important discoveries in medicine, and we with Her2+ disease are "lucky" to have it. Doesn't work for all, but it's certainly worth including I think. There are strict protocols for testing heart muscle function when having Herceptin, so if there is a problem, the docs will be right on to it.
Best wishes, Marie

Pray 08-09-2012 09:11 PM

Manish, Hi

I too am so sorry you had join here. please know that you and your wife are in my prayers. Gods blessings to you both.

Peace

Paty 08-09-2012 09:38 PM

Manish,

You have come to the right board. There are many women in this board who are very well informed and that have travelled the rough way of Breast Cancer, we are all her2 breast cancer survivors and have experienced different tratments according to each one circumstances and characteristics of each one illness.

In my own experience with Herceptin, I can tell you that Herceptin was a stroll in the park in comparison with chemo. I received chemo (FAC) first and then Herceptin with almost no side effects, except from a little bit of a runny nose and some joint pain. My oncologist would order some studies with the cardiologist (heart eject fraction) every 3 moths, but that was about it, they always came out normal. My Herceptin infusions were every three weeks, no side effects then, and no post effects after that.

I understand your fear after reading so much in the internet, same happened to me. What I can tell you is that you should be confident of this drug, it has really helped many women around the world who are her2+. I understand everybody is different, but be confident. If you have a chance to see the movie LIVING PROOF, I would recommend you to see it.

Please keep us poste of how things develop and do not loose hope, there are many treatments out there that can be used. We will be looking forward to hearing from you and your wife. Best of luck.

Paty

Manish 08-10-2012 10:31 PM

Hi,
I would like to thank you all for sharing your experiences with us. This does help us both to go ahead with herceptin. Dimple will have her fourth cemo coming monday 13th Aug. When diagnosed of this cancer she was very dipressed, but have madeup her mind to fight it, specially after looking at our kids Daughter Tamanna [7yrs] and Yashvin [going to be 2 in sep.]. Yashvin was breast feeding when this was diagnosed.
Thank you again for your prayers and blessings.
Manish. (Husband of Dimple)

Jean 08-11-2012 03:31 PM

Manish and Dimple,
Just wanted to reach out to both of you and wish you all the best for a smooth treatment. As many have noted before me the Herceptin part of the treatment is not very harsh and I am certain your dr.'s will be watching over Dimple making sure all continue to go smoothly.

It is not easy having treatment and small children.
I know there are some support groups who will come in and do the housekeeping while she is on treatment.
Take the help....and let others do so also. I worked during my treatment but I did take Mondays off so that
on Sat. /Sun I could relax and catch my breath.

All good wishes,
Jean

tricia keegan 08-11-2012 03:36 PM

I'm so pleased Dimple will have Herceptin and especially with young children, this will give her every chance to beat this!:)

Rolepaul 08-12-2012 12:21 PM

As said by many, Herceptin via IV is not risk free, but the risks for the most part are with the heart. If they do a MUGA (which measures heart ejection volume versus the heart chamber volume) and she has acceptable results, the risks are almost none. Have them look at running an allergy test, although this is a problem in almost no patients. As someone that helped with the initial Monoclonal Antibody development work in the mid 1980s, and staying in the flow of things since then, these are the only two issues I know of. Being concerned because she weighs 45 kg is valiv, but the other chemos are more likely to give issue. Triple positive is good as it responds to all the drugs versus only having a single option for success.

sarah 08-13-2012 04:48 AM

Dar Manish and Dimple,
I did Herceptin for 6 years and didn't have any side effects. They will check her heart function every 3 months which is the only side effect that can be serious but only for a few people. personally I had no ill effects from Herceptin, drove myself to the hospital (an hour away) for the 6 years and honestly was grateful to be getting it - I considered it my life insurance. I actually begged my oncologist to keep me on it an extra year! Chemo is tougher but necessary and radiation can have some nasty side effects down the line but also necessary. If her doctor thinks she should get it, I would advise her to follow his instructions, it just may save her life. I believe in doing more not less, it's a vicious, tricky, nasty disease that must be fought with a nuclear bomb. She's young and therefore it is aggressive, she sounds like she has good doctors but if you're ever concerned, seek another opinion and read up about it. Being surrounded by a caring family and friends is an asset as is a positive attitude. She will be very tired but that's normal. You can beat it but it's a big fight.Check out on this site about supplements also. many cannot be taken while doing treatment but some can. Tumeric/curcurmin is a big one but there are others that are recommended. Also if she does Herceptin, Co-enzyme Q10 is advised but check this out yourself and with your doctor.
Being a caregiver is a tough job, learn to get away with friends sometimes and find someone you can talk to when it all gets to be too much.
Health and happiness
hugs and love
sarah

pibikay 08-14-2012 06:06 AM

This is the right place for help.For Her2+ Herceptin is the best.Side efects are not much compared to taxol taxotrene etcAfter 9 courses of herceptin Hema was put on Tykerb Xeloda regime.Herceptin is essential

Cathya 08-14-2012 11:33 AM

Manish;

I am so sorry to hear of Dimples diagnosis. I did have problems with herceptin and ended up having to come off the drug without doing a full year as my Muga scored dropped. I did not have any other side effects and found herceptin to be much, much easier than chemo as the others have said. Having said I came off herceptin early though you will see in a recent post posted by Lani that recent research has proven that even a brief time taking herceptin has very positive results. I do think that Dimples being ER/PR+ is another positive for her. My very best wishes for you both and please keep us informed of her progress. I have no doubt if you search the site for more information you will find a treasure trove which might give you some comfort.

Cathy

CoolBreeze 08-14-2012 01:58 PM

I don't know what weighing 45 means - can't be pounds. But, I weigh 95 pounds and I have done herceptin for 3 years. No side effects.

Jackie07 08-15-2012 10:26 AM

I'm guessing it's 45kg = 99 lb

Adriana Mangus 08-16-2012 12:25 AM

Hi Bunty,

Glad to hear you are on the club--the wine club that is.

Some of my friends are always reminding me about wine and how bad is for my body. I tell them if it was bad, God wouldn't have ever created it, even my doctor has given me permission to drink--on moderation. I must admit sometimes I do get carried away, ops...

Love,

Adriana

Adriana Mangus 08-16-2012 12:26 AM

Hi Jackie,

I was wondering the same, Jackie, about 100 pounds.

Love,

Adriana

Manish 08-17-2012 02:58 PM

Hi,
Just an update on Dimples health. She underwent her fourth cemo cycle. We were planning to be together early next month after my daughters school vacation in sep. We are based in Dubai and right now Dimple is in India. But Dimple is not feeling well and have decided to stay back till all her eight cemo are over. I will be joining her this month end for her first dose of herceptin scheduled for Sep 4. Praying that everything goes well. Yes she was 45 kg, but have lost some more weight.
Also can anyone suggest on how to increase hemoglobin naturally.
Thanks. Manish

Alycen 08-18-2012 12:14 PM

Hello, I am new to this message board as well. I too am Triple Positive. When 1st diagnosed in March 2012, went right into chemo...Carboplatin, Taxotere and Herceptin, once every 3 weeks. My 4+ cm breast tumor, having completed my chemo...is not UNDETECTABLE. By physical exam and by sonogram. Herceptin will continue once every 3 weeks until next March. Surgery at the end of the month...a lumpectomy now instead of a mastectomy. 30 days later, will start 30 days of radiation. M-F for 6 weeks. Dropped all sugar from our diet, home cooked meals, no processed foods, also working with a nutrionist. Dropped 20 pounds and the tumor can't be found so I'm good with it!