HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Neupogen Shots? Standard With Navelbine? (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=58721)

KDR 07-30-2013 06:19 AM

Neupogen Shots? Standard With Navelbine?

Do you take Neupogen shots?
I have to.

My white blood counts are low, for the first time. I am wondering if the Navelbine caused it alone or if the viral thing I have going on is also part of it.

After just one infusion? I'm NOT liking this. These shots feel like bee stings. Would love to hear of your experience

Thanks,
Karen

Ellie F 07-30-2013 06:47 AM

Re: Neupogen Shots? Standard With Navelbine?

Hi Karen, no experience with navelbine but had to have them after every taxotere! Didn't have them with AC my first chemo but ended up very ill with no white cells at all, a bad infection and the docs wondering if I'd make it through the nights!
They definitely sting but it feels much safer than being at risk of hospitalisation due to an infection.
Sorry you've had such a hard time.
Hugs
Ellie

KDR 07-30-2013 08:31 AM

OK-
I DO NOT need another shot!
Plus my onco might lower the dose so we might get around Neupogen. After just one shot I went from .4 to 5.0. She said take the script home and fill it when necessary which is not now.
Getting out of hospital today! Can you believe the best Chicken Francaise I have ever had was out of the hospital kitchen? One thing, there is great food here.

Thanks
Karen

Jackie07 07-30-2013 09:10 AM

Glad you are getting out of the hospital, Karen.

Not sure of the name of the shots I'd received during chemo. I'd had a couple of shots to boost white blood cells counts(?) I remember it made my lower legs feel like 'lead' (heavy) for several days...

CarolineC 07-30-2013 09:53 AM

On my first set of 8 chemo I had Neupogen shots for 7 rounds and the second set of 6 I had them for 5 rounds for a total of around 60. There were the side effects of bone pain, but overall I felt alot better-like I hadn't felt in years. Maybe they boosted my depleted white blood cells to where they should have been-on my Docetaxel last year I ended up in the hospital and it took 4 days of shots to get my WBC to the lowest of normal, maybe the same experience as you, Ellie.

Most people on chemo around here have Neupogen for dose-dense treatments but I was on every three week cycles both times.

I'm happy you're going home, Karen, and best wishes for staying there and no more hospital visits!

yanyan 07-30-2013 04:52 PM

HI Karen I took Neupogen shots when i was doing taxotere. Side effects are horrible body ache. I woke up feeling like i had a broken rib. Other than that it was not too bad.. i needed that to help me through treatment. Glad to hear you are out of the hospital.. thinking of you and hope everything goes well for you !

jaykay 07-30-2013 05:37 PM

Hi,

I had neulasta (similar to neupogen) shots the day after every TCH treatment. Legs felt heavy for a couple of days but nothing major. I had chemo during the winter and remained pretty healthy (well, other than the cancer) - no colds, etc. I believe it was pretty much standard of care in my cancer center (major hospital).

Glad you are back from the hospital as well.

StephN 07-30-2013 05:38 PM

Hey KDR -
So glad to see you going home now. Now let's pray you will not have a repeat.
Yes, I did have Neulasta as well as Darbypoetin (sp?) with Navelbine. However I took Navelbine along WITH Taxol, which you know is a heavier treatment than just Navelbine. I may be able to find my Navelbine dose, but I think the Taxol was higher.

Looks like you responded WELL to the Neupogen, and may just need a smaller boost from time to time. It may take a little time to sort out.

NEDenise 07-31-2013 11:57 AM

Hey!
Great to hear you're going home...
and with a much better white count!!
Again, you ROCK!

Sending prayers for continued good things!
Denise

Mandamoo 07-31-2013 04:42 PM

Glad you are going home! I had neutrophil issues on navelbine - the trial I was on had navelbine weekly - no breaks. I assume you are doing the regular regime with a break? I ended up in hospital with neutropenia fever and at that time had neupogen. I had a dose reduction and managed fine after that. They were always pretty low (under 2) but I coped fine. Acupuncture helped.
xxxx

Rolepaul 08-05-2013 09:05 AM

Karen,
Nina has been there and done that. Neupogen after Navelbine is pretty standard.

Colleen007 08-07-2013 11:30 AM

I have been on Navelbine for a few years (3 weeks on and one week off). I get Neupogen and Neulasta shots after treatments to boost the white blood counts. I have gone without, but that has meant I had to skip treatment because my white counts dropped too low without getting the Neupogen and Neulasta shots. Good luck to you!

CoolBreeze 08-11-2013 05:38 PM

I was on Navelbine and I think I did have to take neupogen. I recall it being a relatively easy chemo but kind of hard on my white count. Not as hard as gemzar though, which dropped me like a stone from which I couldn't recover and I had to give up chemo.

I had terrible side effects from neupogen and won't take it anymore. I understand your distress.

KDR 08-12-2013 04:01 PM

I think I am going to compile all responses, emails and PMs, too, with names deleted because this turned into a very intriguing thread, so many stories, successes and always Neuopgen. THANK YOU ALL.

I have been off chemo for a few weeks now, letting the body rest. Was way too soon to start.

Back in the saddle Friday. Still scared. I'm scared of everything now.

Karen

IrvineFriend 08-12-2013 04:40 PM

If you have a viral thing, your counts would actually be UP for that. White blood cells attack foreign bodies, so they increase when you are ill.

I have not been on Navelbine, but had to do Neupogen after my first infusion with TCH. I did not have any reaction to neupogen like some people do. Good luck!

mamacze 08-19-2013 04:15 PM

Good grief - I take a few months off and you land in the hospital?!? UGH!! NO rest for your worrying mind and soul. Yes, Neupogen with Navelbine was standard fare for me. The Neupogen shots stung like a bee but I was happy with how I felt afterward.
What happened?!?
Love Kim from CT.

KDR 08-20-2013 05:47 PM

Hi, Kim,
So good to hear from you (and everyone)...
Hey, Sweet Angel! Read the details I put for you on the happy birthday wish for me...
Sure would love to see you when you come to New York-
Love
Karen

Andrea Barnett Budin 08-25-2013 07:41 PM

Neupogen Shots? Standard With Navelbine?

I've read than Claritin taken the day of Neupogen shot lessens the painful side effects.

Also Tumeric helps with inflammation.

Just checked on line before posting.

They've recently done studies w/Claritin and it's helping.

In '98 I had spinal pain from Neupogen, like a bolt of lightning struck me, and I didn't know that could be a side effect. Scared the pants off me.

Add this to your list, Karen.

And let us know where it takes you, please.

I like the lowering dosage part of Navy Beans. Wish I'd asked for less Taxotere. Never occurred to me. I was 6 wks on and 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths... Fluid around my lungs, fluid around my heart, could only whisper and kept tripping on my toes... Couldn't seem to lift my foot up fully. But I got to California from Fla for my niece's wedding (slept all the way there and back) but she wanted her auntie there, and I wouldn't fail her... With tears streaming 24/7 from that Taxotere, I clutched a tissue at all times, as did everyone in the chemo room.

Do you know how hard it is to cut your food while dabbing your eyes incessantly? But that freight train of a drug did help save my life, so we have a love/hate relationship I guess...