HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   50 hours post TCH chemo and my body feels like going through withdrawals (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=64182)

spiritualabundance 12-02-2015 04:17 PM

50 hours post TCH chemo and my body feels like going through withdrawals

I don't know if that's what it is, if it is, if it's withdrawing from steriods, benadryl, etc. I'm so uncomfortable but everything else, knock on wood, has been fine so far. I had my Neulasta auto injector about 23 hours ago. I just don't know what to do to ease myself and settle down. I feel fatigued but can't rest, I feel like I'm 'tweeking', almost itchy. Anyone else had this? Any advice? Please, please help!

Carol Ann 12-02-2015 06:46 PM

Re: 50 hours post TCH chemo and my body feels like going through withdrawals

It is probably the steroids ... call the doc's office in the am and tell them what you are experiencing, and if they can give you anything for it. You just overwhelmed your body with poison, and everybody reacts differently. I had horrible indigestion from the taxotere and bone pain from the Neulasta, but I don't remember feeling what you describe. And yes, the steroids would keep me up at night alot.

One down!! YAY Every day is one day closer to the end of chemo!!

Carol Ann

thinkpositive 12-02-2015 09:46 PM

I think Carol Ann is right about this being from the steroids. My onc have me lorazepam and it took care of the "tweeking" feeling and allowed me to sleep.

Hang in there. One down and on your way to NED!

MaineRottweilers 12-03-2015 04:30 AM

I would guess that would be your steroids. I usually can tone that effect down a bit with Ativan. I used to take Claratin the day before and for several days after my neulasta injection. I never had any associated side effects from it using that protocol.

Certainly check in with your team and make note of symptoms so you can be prepared for the next round. Hope you are feeling better soon.

Becky 12-03-2015 05:44 AM

It's the steroids absolutely. It will pass and then you'll be exhausted from lack of sleep. And I think your description of "withdrawal" is exactly right as you are withdrawing from the steroids.

Donna H 12-03-2015 02:58 PM

After my first TCH I barely slept for 3 nites. Then I crashed - slept and slept some more. It got better with the next treatments. It's a tough road but you are stronger than you know.

bevaschia 12-03-2015 03:46 PM

It's the carboplatin. I felt that way too. As if I had to move my legs and arm (especially legs)all the time. Not quite itching but kind of combo of itching/tingling/burning. Felt it in my side's too when laying in side. Went away after 4th day.

suzan w 12-03-2015 08:20 PM

I, too, think it is the steroids. I couldn't sleep for days, talked my head off(!) and felt like I was on speed...when I crashed, I couldn't stop crying...felt emotionally drained, and had NO energy. I rode this roller coaster the whole time I was on chemo.

Nurse4u2day 12-04-2015 03:44 PM

This indeed sounds like a side effect of the steroids. I felt exactly what you are expressing. The only thing that helped me was at night I would at doctors orders take 2mg Ativan to help with sleep. At one point I was up for 38 hours straight and it was horrible . Sleeping pills didn't work. As for what to do with it during the day maybe try some soothing music in a quiet room. While I was as on the steroids it was as if my mind was going in 20 different directions at the same time but oh my body just wanted to rest. The frustration of this can become very difficult and depressing to deal with. I wish you the best and please just think this is a temporary problem.

Kkmom 12-04-2015 07:13 PM

When I was going through chemo (TCH), on around Day 7, I was still an absolute mess - stiffness - felt like I had the flu, nausea, no appetite, etc. I went in and had an IV of fluids- it made the biggest difference in recovering from the chemo. Even though I was trying to drink fluids, having the fluids directly helped tremendously.