HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Have you heard from Joy recently? (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=42910)

Mary Anne in TX 12-17-2009 04:59 AM

Have you heard from Joy recently?

If you've heard from Joy or Jennifer lately, would you let us know how Joy is, please? ma

Mary Jo 12-17-2009 05:01 AM

Re: Have you heard from Joy recently?

Sure wishes we would hear from one of them. Always in my heart....

Mary Jo

Unregistered 12-17-2009 06:34 AM

This is Jennifer, joys sister. Joy is now in hospice care at home. Treatment was not working, her bilirubin has Ben steadily climbing. Last Friday it was 6.8 other liver functions high as well. She weighs about 85-90 lbs now. Yesterday is the most she slept almost all day. Sorry I haven't posted much her steady decline has been so hard on our parents, her kids and me I've just been trying to hold it together and work too. All your love and support is always been greatly appriciated. I'll keep you all posted. All my love, Jennifer

Midwest Alice 12-17-2009 06:59 AM

Jennifer,
I am so sorry to hear Joy is declining. It sounds like she has many around who love her. What a blessing for her. I am praying for Joy and her family.

schoolteacher 12-17-2009 07:25 AM

Jennifer,

Thanks for letting us know how Joy is doing. All of you will be in my prayers.

Amelia

Yorkiegirl 12-17-2009 09:02 AM

Oh Jennifer my heart goes out to you, Joy's kid's and your parents during this difficut time. I will continue to pray for Joy.
What amazing woman Joy is.

Shobha 12-17-2009 09:20 AM

Jennifer,

I am so sorry to hear this news. My prayers continue for Joy and all of you.

hugs,
shobha

Faith in Him 12-17-2009 09:45 AM

I am so sorry Jennifer. Joy is such a wonderful, sweet person. I am praying for all of you.

Tonya

caya 12-17-2009 10:40 AM

So sorry to hear Joy is not doing well. I'm sure it is very difficult for all the family, especially at this time of year.

I am sending big hugs and prayers.

all the best
caya

Mary Anne in TX 12-17-2009 12:04 PM

Jennifer, your burden is heavy, but your heart is so very big and your family is fortunate to have you. Joy has been able to inspire us so many times with her ability to love so deeply and hope so high! I could just feel that sparkle so many times when her spirits would soar. I'm so sad to hear the news that she is in hospice care, but so grateful that she is surrounded by the love you all give her.
Please give her a hug and kiss for us and let her know that our caring for her continues to grow and our love and prayers are daily sent her way!
Praying for and loving you all, ma

Patb 12-17-2009 12:33 PM

So very sad to hear about Joy. So wonderful that
she is surrounded by loved ones. I will pray for her
everyday and her family also.
patb

Rich66 12-17-2009 12:46 PM

Could she try a low-dose metronomic approach with Xeloda(capecitabine)? Has been shown to work even when previously failed at typical dose. Best taken in evening. Could be combined with cyclophosphamide which seems best in morning.

Also:

Nat Immun. 1998;16(1):27-33.
Biotherapy with the pineal immunomodulating hormone melatonin versus melatonin plus aloe vera in untreatable advanced solid neoplasms.

Lissoni P, Giani L, Zerbini S, Trabattoni P, Rovelli F.
Division of Radiation Oncology, San Gerardo Hospital, Monza, Milan, Italy.
The possibility of natural cancer therapy has been recently suggested by advances in the knowledge of tumor immunobiology. Either cytokines such as IL-2, or neurohormones, such as the pineal indole melatonin (MLT), may activate anticancer immunity. In addition, immunomodulating substances have also been isolated from plants, particularly from Aloe vera. Preliminary clinical studies had already shown that MLT may induce some benefits in untreatable metastatic solid tumor patients, whereas, for the time being, no clinical trial has been performed with aloe products. We have carried out a clinical study to evaluate whether the concomitant administration of aloe may enhance the therapeutic results of MLT in patients with advanced solid tumors for whom no effective standard anticancer therapies are available. The study included 50 patients suffering from lung cancer, gastrointestinal tract tumors, breast cancer or brain glioblastoma, who were treated with MLT alone (20 mg/day orally in the dark period) or MLT plus A. vera tincture (1 ml twice/day). A partial response (PR) was achieved in 2/24 patients treated with MLT plus aloe and in none of the patients treated with MLT alone. Stable disease (SD) was achieved in 12/24 and in 7/26 patients treated with MLT plus aloe or MLT alone, respectively. Therefore, the percentage of nonprogressing patients (PR + SD) was significantly higher in the group treated with MLT plus aloe than in the MLT gorup (14/24 vs. 7/26, p < 0.05). The percent 1-year survival was significantly higher in patients treated with MLT plus aloe (9/24 vs. 4/26, p < 0.05). Both treatments were well tolerated. This preliminary study would suggest that natural cancer therapy with MLT plus A. vera extracts may produce some therapeutic benefits, at least in terms of stabilization of disease and survival, in patients with advanced solid tumors, for whom no other standard effective therapy is available.

Mary Jo 12-17-2009 01:59 PM

So very sorry to read this Jennifer. With all you are going through, thank you so much for taking the time to let us know. Joy, truly was a "JOY" to each of us on this board. Always an ecouraging word...always upbeat and loving.

May God's Peace surround you all at this time.

Love and hugs,

Mary Jo

Barbara H. 12-17-2009 05:29 PM

Hi Jennifer,
Please tell Joy how much I enjoyed her postings over the years. She has such a sense for living and enjoying a full life in spite of her difficulties. My heart breaks for her and for her family. I wish a miracle would come her way.
Thank you again for posting, Jennifer. Joy and her extended family are always in my thoughts.
Thinking of you, too.
Barbara H.

Jean 12-17-2009 07:10 PM

Jennifer,
It is heart breaking to hear this news. Joy is very special to so many of us. Your Mother named her well.

I keep you and your family in my prayers for strength, please know Joy and the family are thought of and loved deeply.

Jean

Jade 12-17-2009 07:11 PM

It breaks my heart to hear this news and I am so sad. Joy is such a lovely, giving person - you can feel it coming through when you read her posts. I'm sure she would be a fun and wonderful friend. OMG this is so sad, this is not fair, she has so much to live for and was so full of life ...she deserves way better. Jennifer, I am so sorry, for Joy, for her children, for you and your family. Words are failing me...she is very special to her Her2 family. I wish you all peace, comfort and love.

suzan w 12-17-2009 07:19 PM

Thank you Jennifer for posting. It is sad news indeed. Joy is...well...she is JOY. xo Suzan

lkc Gumby 12-17-2009 07:52 PM

Thank you for letting us know.... I am sorry to hear this. her children, and her parents are in my prayers

WomanofSteel 12-17-2009 08:52 PM

I am so sorry to hear about Joy's decline. You are all in my thoughts and prayers. My heart goes out to you all.

lexigirl 12-17-2009 09:07 PM

Dear Jennifer,

Thank you for sharing this sad news. My heart and prayers are with you and your family.

Hugs and Prayers,
Lexi