HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Brain Mets - new or old? (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57440)

ammebarb 02-28-2013 02:50 PM

Re: Brain Mets - new or old?

Denise, I too am holding on to the swelling theory. If your increased steroids help additionally, maybe that can reassure you until your neurosurgeon is back. I too am spending much time in prayer, and you sre always included!

caya 02-28-2013 03:41 PM

Denise, Tuesday is only a few days away... very sensible of you to wait for your surgeon, and see what his opinion is. In the meantime, prayers are continuing from Canada, from your friend Caryn, and many others here on this wonderful site.

all the best
caya

Kellennea 02-28-2013 03:51 PM

You are amazing, Denise. I will continue with the good juju and start chanting "healing"

xoxo

KDR 02-28-2013 05:17 PM

Denise
Isn't it always the way?! You just want to put an end to the suspense and know for sure there's nothing left to worry about except some swelling, and your doctor is out.
i hope you spend the weekend doing peaceful things-will be thinking of you.
Yours
Karen

yanyan 02-28-2013 05:44 PM

Prayering for you Denise ! I can't imagine those doctors made such a drastic decision to do surgery next week ! Brain surgery is serious stuff don't they need more evidence to prove the medical necessity for your best interest :(

LeahM 02-28-2013 06:18 PM

Oh Denise...prayers continue...I am looking forward to good news on Tues. Hugs...
Leah

karen z 02-28-2013 07:13 PM

Denise,
I would do what you are doing- absolutely. In the meantime (and I know I would have a difficult time with what I am suggesting) I would take those warm baths Steph is suggesting and try to distract yourself as much as possible. Think of some things you would like to do and do them to relax. Your person will be back soon. Focus on that and not much else.

Mandamoo 03-01-2013 12:37 AM

I believe you are making a wise choice. May next week bring good news of mere swelling due to healing.
A s

michka 03-01-2013 12:51 AM

Denise, you are in my thoughts. It is so difficult not to know. I am sending hugs and I hope you will have good news next week. Michka

Bunty 03-01-2013 01:30 AM

I too am right behind you on the decision you have made Denise, and it's possibly a blessing in disguise having the extra days on the steroids to calm the swelling.

So prayers continue to come from this part of the world for you Denise. Now, how about some ideas for what Denise can do in all those night time hours..... Chat to your friends in Australia during our daylight hours? Online scrabble? Although I'm sure you'd whoop us all being a school teacher, on steroids and obviously a lover of words given your entertaining posts! I'll send a PM with my contact details.

Cheers Marie

marvass 03-01-2013 04:10 AM

Glad to hear that there is no new things to deal with, but the swelling thing could be just the chemicals killing cells, usually this can be controlled by steroids. Can you increase the dose of steroids a little? In the mean time wait for your doctor to see his opinion. Praying for you and wishing you luck!
Mario

Paula O 03-01-2013 04:50 AM

I'm praying for you and am glad you are waiting on your surgeon.

All the best,

Paula

JillaryJill 03-01-2013 05:38 AM

Prayers for "Denise from Philly" On the weekends I have extra time for prayer...and I will offer up an entire rosary for you!

NEDenise 03-01-2013 06:48 AM

Morning Friends,
Hot bath...chamomile tea...check! Thanks for the idea, it helped calm me down enough for a nap last night!

Thanks for all the votes of confidence. Your opinions matter to me. I'm feeling very secure about waiting for my "real" surgeon's opinion. I'm just hoping that he agrees with me...that the swelling is from healing. An actual, open-up-my-skull brain surgery, scares the heck out of me. Of course I'll do it if it's the only option, but so many things could go wrong. It's not something I hope to spend much time thinking about between now and Tuesday. I guess "de-Nile" is not just a river in Egypt! And, why borrow trouble.

Thanks for all the prayers too. I know in my heart that it's the only thing holding me together through all this waiting and uncertainty. And Jill, wow! an entire Rosary! That's a powerful prayer! Thanks!

I'm sooooo looking forward to the day...in the not too distant future...when I can look back on this week and think, "Sheesh, I'm glad that's over! What a lot of worrying over a little swelling!"

Oh! In fairness to the two surgeons who recommended surgery, they thought I was already on high doses of steroids...and my brain was swelling anyway. Once they were informed that the steroids could be "upped" and that my sypmtoms had been decreasing...they backed off of the emergency craniotomy thing.

Sooo...deep breaths, good books...lots of praying...and laughing with my family.
Thanks for hanging with me while I wait.
With love,
Denise

ammebarb 03-01-2013 07:38 AM

Many prayers every day, Denise.

KsGal 03-01-2013 10:03 AM

Well, I too agree it's a good decision to wait for your own surgeon to come back, who is more familiar with your situation and who you feel comfortable with. The waiting just sucks though, with all the thoughts that can run through your mind. I think these brain tumors are a whole other kind of scanxiety.
Im glad the steroids are controlling your symptoms, and also sorry you have to take them.
The results of my brain scan this morning showed I still have three tumors of the original five, and they are about half the size they were. Im six weeks out from whole brain radiation, so they want to wait another six weeks to see the "final result" before we move ahead. I still have quite a bit of swelling, and my doctor said that can go on for many weeks. So, Im thinking it is totally logical and probable that is what is going on with you too, irritation and swelling from the dying tissues.
I say a prayer for you every day...Big hugs to you. I wish you would have gotten some definitive results so your mind would be at ease, but am hopeful when your surgeon returns Tuesday he will have answers for you. :)

tammymarie1971 03-01-2013 05:06 PM

Denise, prayers going up for peace and patience as you wait for Tuesday, which does seem like a wise idea to wait for your regular guy! But the news may simply be continued response to previous treatment...It sounds logical to me!
Tammy

NEDenise 03-03-2013 03:32 PM

Just checking in, friends!
Still hanging in there. :)
Steroids are really starting to aggravate my tummy. Besides my regular Nexium I'm popping Maalox like M&Ms.

And, naturally, my sleep cycles are whacked. I'm mentally tired, but my body is wired.

The other thing I forgot about from my last stink on Decadron...was the joint pain. My hips, knees, and ankles feel like they're MUCH older than I am.

But, on the bright side...no headache! No balance issues! No weird spastic handwriting issues! And, no dizziness! So, what's a little indigestion and sleeplessness in the big scheme of things!?

Not sure what Tuesday's neuorology appt will bring...but hopefully NOT a recommendation for a craniotomy. I guess I'm a big baby...but that just scares me so much! Too many bad 1970s doctor shows and movies maybe?

Anyway...since you're all being so wonderfully supportive...and praying for good news...I just wanted to give you an update.
With love,
Denise

ammebarb 03-03-2013 03:50 PM

Oh Denise, so very glad you posted an update; have been thinking about you often and sending a prayer each time I do. I'm sorry you are having all the crappy side effects from the steroids, but it sure sounds encouraging that they are taking care of the headache, dizziness, balance and handwriting issues. Will continue to hope that a craniotomy won't be necessary. Sending bushels of love.

Barb A.

karen z 03-03-2013 06:18 PM

Denise,
We are all thinking of you and have you enveloped in an old-fashioned group hug. Only a couple of more days now until your person is back.
K