HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   When should we consider switching Oncologists (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=67077)

Cathya 05-10-2018 01:25 PM

When should we consider switching Oncologists

Hi all;

I am now being treated for her2- MBC with a new 3 week on, 1 week off Palbociclib pill (iBrance) plus Letrozole every day. As this is new to me I have been lurking and reading past posts on an ibrance link on community.breastcancer.org. It's been very helpful to me and I have noticed how many other women have had their various tumours mutate over time. It's a stage 4 site (unfortunately this is my new reality) and so I'm hearing about all sorts of new treatments which are becoming quickly available. This has gotten me thinking.

I loved,loved my bc oncologist and totally credit him with saving my life first time around. He was very well respected by the hospital I attend and is missed by the younger oncologists. I would no doubt be seeing him now if he hadn't retired. Now I'm seeing a young (young to me, he's in his early 40's) man who is very energetic, upbeat and totally into all of these new drugs. He is convinced that I will be living a longer life than I might otherwise have expected. He is the lead investigator for the OCTANE program at our hospital and is having my ovarian and lung tumour genetically tested as well as my own blood. I am receiving a drug that has been available for only two months in Ontario.

So, I've been kicking around the idea that having someone totally new at this point in my treatment, someone who has worked recently in the US and is up to date on all of the newest treatments and is open minded to all the in's and out's my cancer might offer isn't this the very best thing that could have happened. How comfortable I was with my oncologist and him with me. I wouldn't have changed but if he hadn't retired, should I have? Just a thought.

my best wishes to all,

Cathy

Lucy 05-10-2018 03:41 PM

Re: When should we consider switching Oncologists

I think it's important to trust and be comfortable with your doctor. If you're not, that's when you look to change. I knew so little about HER2+ cancer when I was diagnosed and didn't know what to ask other than, how quickly can you get it out of me. When I came here I learned more and brought questions to her that seemed relevant to my situation. She never seemed to be bothered by that. If she had, I might have considered changing doctors.

Bottom line, we're all doing the best we can based on the information we have at the time. If you reach the point where you feel your doctor isn't listening to you or answering your questions to your satisfaction, that's when you need to look elsewhere for your medical needs.

Just my personal opinion.

Pamelamary 05-10-2018 09:24 PM

Hi Cathy,
I think there are two important things to consider in regard to choice of oncologist - the personal trust/communication factor and an up to date awareness of current developments in the field. I would be worried if my oncologist was lacking in either area. I have only changed once, for reasons more concerned with lack of empathy.
Sounds as if you have been lucky!
Best wishes.... Pam

Colleen 05-15-2018 08:23 AM

I have thought of changing oncologists more than once in the past four years. After “interviewing” several other oncologists I decided to stay with mine. While I feel her answers to my questions lack depth, they sound scripted (maybe she’s answered these questions too many times), I figure my care wil not change until I progress/recurr, at this point I will consider a move.