HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   5 year cancerversary (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=35567)

chrislmelb 09-15-2008 03:27 PM

5 year cancerversary

Tonight is the night 5 years ago that I got a call from my breast surgeon to let me know that he was surprised to find my lump was a lymph node with breast cancer attached. As usual I had let the call go to the machine at 8.30pm, but when I heard JC say "Hello this is JC I am looking for MRS Lee" I jumped up and ran for the phone. Then I went into my room and he explained it to me. I remember feeling that intense heat/electric like shock, and had to sit down. I know people think it is bad being told over the phone but he wanted to get me in earlier than planned, like 7.45 the next morning. He had actually spent quite a bit of time trying different combinations of my phone number as the hospital sticker was incorrect! Of course they couldn't see any sign of the primary so I had to have core biopsy later in the week to try to find the primary tumour. After a bit of guessing and 4 cores they did find it but of course, as I was to find out further down the track, they still couldn't see its boundaries. So partial mastectomy and clearance followed by a wide local excision, which was then followed by a mastectomy. Of course that was the easy bit and there was much more treatment to follow.
It all seems so long ago now but still such a big part of my life. It is not something you just forget. I now feel pretty confident that I will get to see my daughter go to high school in 2012.
Take care
Christine

DonnaD 09-15-2008 03:54 PM

Welcome to the 5 year club. You are in good company with others like, Sheila, Joan, Michelle and Jackie.

I too remember being told over the phone by my Dr's. partner because my local onc was not in the office the day my results came back.

Do go out and celebrate. High school is just around the corner, you'll be beaming!

Thanks for posting, we need to hear these joys.
Donna

Chelee 09-15-2008 04:04 PM

Christine, First of all let me say BIG CONGRATULATIONS on your 5th yr cancerversary! Talk about a MAJOR milestone. Wooo hooo!

Also...thanks for sharing that with the board because its so important to the newly dx women that find this board. Stories like yours are always so encouraging and truly inspirational. I will be looking forward to your post in 2012 about your daughter going to High School, and then again when you go to her graduation. :)

I hope you are doing something special for yourself...a celebration is in order...you go girl.

Chelee

Vi Schorpp 09-15-2008 04:10 PM

Congratulations

Christine from another 5-year member. I know how you feel, 5 years ago was a lifetime ago, but at times it still seems like yesterday. I think it will always be a part of our life, but not the ragged apprenhension it was 5 years ago. Happy to hear that things are going well for you.

PinkGirl 09-15-2008 04:27 PM

Congratulations Christine!!! It is always so good to hear
another success story.

DonnaD 09-15-2008 04:27 PM

Vi,
I am sorry I did not include you in the list. I celebrate with you as well. What a club we have.

Donna

Joan M 09-15-2008 04:57 PM

Christine,

Congratulations on your five years! Great to hear that you're doing well.

Joan

Mary Jo 09-15-2008 06:35 PM

Congratulations Christine......The best news I heard all day. Thanks so much for sharing.

God Bless ..

Mary Jo

micheleu 09-15-2008 08:06 PM

Glad to welcome you to the 5 year club!! I was dx Aug 23, 2003...It was funny to hear how well you could remember every detail of the call, me too . I remember I fell off my bed when the nurse told me! You too were young, i was 39 and I did get one of my children graduated last year! You will too!!!!!!

gracie's mom 09-15-2008 08:19 PM

Congrats and Thanks

WOW-Congratulations!!!!!!! I am so happy for you. I know finding out is something we will never forget but you have 5 wonderful years of memories now despite all you have been through.

As a newly diagnosed (7/14/08)I want to say a big THANKS as you give me hope and encouragement-see I guess we all find a way to give back something positive in all this. We continually touch others.

I think it is so great you have set your next goal and I KNOW you will be at that graduation and I KNOW I will be reading a post about it.

Thanks again for blessing me with your milestone and I wish you and will pray for you the very best.

Celebrate today and celebrate everyday!!!! We have been given the gift to do so because we have learned not to take everything for granted and I, am learning what is and is not important to worry about.

Sorry to get philosophical- go enjoy-celebrate and hig everyone as I know they are hugging you.

lexigirl 09-16-2008 08:45 AM

Yess!!! Congrats on your 5 year milestone!! I'll never forget the phone call either. I am so happy that you are doing well. You give us encouragement. Thank you!

Hugs,
Lexi

tricia keegan 09-16-2008 01:20 PM

Congratulations!!

Your news in fantastic and one we all love to share because it gives us all hope. Have a wonderful day and many more and thanks for sharing!

WomanofSteel 09-16-2008 01:28 PM

Happy 5 years! Celebrate doing what makes you happiest!

schoolteacher 09-16-2008 01:59 PM

Christine,

Congratulations on your 5 year anniversay.

Thank you for your story. You offering me hope. I have three more chemos to go.

Amelia

caya 09-16-2008 05:27 PM

Congrats Christine on joining the 5 year club!!

all the best
caya

Jean 09-16-2008 06:21 PM

Just love hearing about your Big "5" milestone.
I wish you 10 more of them....:)

Jean