HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Diet and Nutrition (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   Rice cookers (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=44234)

Bill 03-16-2010 06:46 PM

Rice cookers

Hello Ladies and Gentlemen!
Recently I purchased a rice cooker and it is awesome. I like rice, but I've never really cooked it for myself and others, until now. I never liked the boil, cover, simmer business. It seemed like alot of very precise work. I mean, come on, you turn your head and next thing you know, your rice is either burnt up or too watery. We've all been there. "What a wonderful meal. Too bad the rice is undercooked" or the classic "Damn, Bill, you burnt the rice again". But now, since I've bought a rice cooker, all I do is pour in some water and rice, and push a button, and next thing you know, I've got a meal. You need to get one, and get one with a veggie steamer tray that goes on top of the rice. And don't be afraid to throw a few beans or lentils into that rice prior to hitting the magic button. They'll cook, too.

Bill 03-16-2010 06:55 PM

Re: Rice cookers

The best way to do this is start the rice, and begin chopping your veggies and throw a little Mrs. Dash on 'em. Then halfway through the process, throw the veggies in your little steamer tray. I know what you're thinking. I can hear you now, even as I type at a miraculous 145 words per minute. "But, Bill, I eat rice several times a month and it seems like so much work." Trust me, if you get one of the new-fangled rice cookers you will be eating more rice and steamed veggies than you ever have in your life and it's really easy.

vlcarr 03-16-2010 07:47 PM

Thanks for sharing Bill. I've never had one but have always wondered about them. I did notice that chefs on the Food Network (one of my favorite channels) use them.

I think you've talked me into it! I'm a big fan of the frozen steamable veggies but the rice isn't that good.

ElaineM 03-16-2010 09:12 PM

Rice cookers are a stable appliance in almost every Hawaii household. You can do so much with them.
I put my rice along with the appropriate amount of water in and turn on the rice cooker. As you mentioned I start throwing in my veggies and whever seasoning I want almost half way through the cooking process. You can even put your protein source in there if it is something that can be steamed like fish, clams or beans. The cooker will turn off automatically when the food is done. Don't take off the cover for a few minutes after that.
You can cook other grains oatmeal or quioa in a rice cooker too. Throw in your grains with the appropriate amount of water with a little spice. I like ginger. Turn on the cooker.
After it is done put some of the grains in a bowl and add a little milk or yoghurt and fruit. Don't forget to sprinkle on some cinnamon or honey. You will have a hot nourishing main course for breakfast.

TanyaRD 03-17-2010 06:18 AM

I've always wanted one too. Sounds like a must-have! Thanks!

Hopeful 03-17-2010 06:51 AM

I have had a simple Black and Decker rice/vegetable steamer for years. I love it! Another bonus is that it frees up a burner on the stove for cooking.

Hopeful

Jeanette 03-17-2010 06:54 AM

I have a double steamer, rice cooker and I love it. You can put in three or four different veggies in at the same time and it only takes a few minutes to cook. Keeps in all the nutrients too. A biggie is it saves on cleanup too, no more messy pans to wash. Everyone should try it, Jeanette

Becky 03-17-2010 09:47 AM

Also, my vegetarian daughter says the coolest thing is that it has a warmer feature and it keeps the rice hot all day. When she was living in a house with lots of people, they just made the max every morning and then there was rice for anyone who wanted it with their own sides.

I love my rice cooker too.

Faith in Him 03-17-2010 05:54 PM

Yep, rice cookers are awesome. I use it all the time.

Rich66 03-17-2010 09:51 PM

"Damn, Bill, you burnt the rice again"
Ha! I always wondered if anyone else said that. And I never knew if I'd now who this Bill was that I was cursing.
I like the idea of using them to steam veggies since rice (especially white) has so little going for it nutritionally;) oops.

Bill 03-18-2010 06:08 AM

Yeah, we usually use brown rice or a mixed wild rice blend and then throw in a handful of quinoa. Last night it was brown rice and quinoa with turnip, asparagus, broccoli, snap beans, and carrots steamed on top. You're too funny Rich!

ymryan 03-18-2010 07:23 AM

Thanks so much for sharing information about the rice cooker (sad to say I didn't even know such a thing existed)! I received a steamer last Christmas and LOVE it to cook veggies and chicken breasts. Asparagus, turnips, and potatoes are my favorite veggies to place in the steamer -- they come out perfect every time.

ElaineM 03-18-2010 10:18 AM

Thanks for the recipes everyone. I am hungry with ideas. I love quinoa. I cook it with oats, but I am going to throw a handful into my rice from now on. It has alot of protein. The wild rice sounds good too. You can mix white and brown rice if you want more nutrition Rich !!

Jackie07 03-18-2010 06:51 PM

The cord of the rice (steam)cooker I brought from Taiwan 26 years ago finally 'broke'. Couldn't find one anywhere, we finally purchased a replacement online. It worked well. Then around Christmas time, I found a bigger Black Decker that was several dollars cheaper. I bought the B&D and then just couldn't resist another small one advertised on the local paper that was only $10.00. So now I have three!

I'd use the Black & Decker (with a removable steam basket) for my sweet patato rice soup; the other one regular rice; the small one perfect for heating up canned soup/other stuff. Everything worked out perfect as two of the 4 gas ranges couldn't be fixed.