HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   aredia for osteopenia??? (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=46036)

weety 07-17-2010 08:50 AM

aredia for osteopenia???

Hi all,
I am looking for info on using aredia for osteopenia. I was diagnosed at age 38 (stage 1) completed TCH and currently finishing up herceptin. Also had an ooph/hyster so am now on an AI. At first my onc had told me she could "probably" give me zometa off-label for the prevention of osteoporosis if my bone density scan came back with problems. I fit all of the osteo risks (thin, petite, white female) and I have been following the new studies about the reduction of recurrences, so I was pretty excited about being able to possibly get the zometa.

Now that I have my results back (osteopenia) she is retracting what she told me (BUMMMMMER!) and said she could instead offer me aredia. I can't find much info on aredia for osteopenia. I also am looking for info on zometa for osteopenia/osteoporosis prevention. She told me she needs some studies to back it up if I want the zometa--I'm determined to find them unless aredia is also a good bisphos to use (in terms of possible recurrence reduction rates) as well.

Please help!!! I'm having trouble finding the info I need.

tricia keegan 07-17-2010 04:18 PM

Re: aredia for osteopenia???

I think they're both fairly similar but Aredia is older http://www.pamidronate.com/index.jsp

Jackie07 08-09-2010 06:11 PM

Just read this today on WebMD:

Osteoporosis is often called the "silent disease." That's because most of the time, bone loss occurs without any symptoms at all. But when osteoporosis becomes severe, it can lead to fractures and a condition called kyphosis. Kyphosis is spinal compression, sometimes described as the "dowager's hump." Both fractures and kyphosis can be very painful. This pain is usually more severe than the typical "aches and pains" many people feel as they get older.
Fractures and Compression Cause Osteoporosis Pain

The most common cause of osteoporosis pain is a spinal compression fracture. If you have been diagnosed with osteoporosis, or if you have several risk factors for osteoporosis, these symptoms may indicate a compression fracture:
  • <LI sizset="159" sizcache="9">Sudden, severe back pain that gets worse when you are standing or walking
  • Some pain relief when lying down
  • Pain and difficulty in twisting or bending
  • Loss of height
  • Curvature of the spine
Bones are fragile in osteoporosis. Fractures and osteoporosis pain can occur even from simple movements that don't seem dangerous. Examples of these movements include lifting a bag of groceries, twisting to get out of a car, or tripping slightly on a rug or step.
Fractures can take months to heal. The pain should start to go away as the healing process progresses. However, for some people osteoporosis pain can become chronic. Your doctor can recommend options for managing and reducing pain. These options include medication and other therapies.
Medication to Relieve Osteoporosis Pain

Medication is the most popular way to manage osteoporosis pain. Medications include these:
  • Over-the-counter pain medications like acetaminophen, aspirin, ibuprofen, naproxen are safe pain relievers for most people. These may cause stomach irritation and bleeding or liver problems.
  • Narcotics can help in the short-term with acute pain. They should not be used for chronic pain. They have troublesome side effects, muddle your thinking and can be addictive.
  • Calcitonin is an osteoporosis drug sold under the brand names Miacalcin, Calcimar, or Fortical. Calcitonin may help relieve pain associated with bone fractures.
  • Antidepressant medication is sometimes prescribed to help people cope with chronic pain. These medications may be prescribed when other forms of pain relief have not helped.
Physical Approaches to Osteoporosis Pain

Doctors and therapists may also suggest physical therapies for controlling osteoporosis pain. These include:
  • Heat and ice. Both heat and cold can be effective at relieving pain. Warm showers or hot packs can ease stiff muscles. Cold can numb the painful area. Cold can also reduce swelling and inflammation.
  • Physical therapy. Osteoporosis pain may make it difficult for you to be physically active. However, inactivity may make pain worse by leaving you weakened. A physical therapist can work with you on a safe, effective exercise program.
  • Braces and supports. A back brace can relieve pain after a spinal fracture. A brace may also allow you to move around normally while the fracture is healing. But if you depend on the back brace too long, it can weaken your muscles. If you use a brace, begin exercising to strengthen back muscles as soon as your doctor says it is safe.
  • Acupuncture, acupressure, and massage therapy. These treatments all may help relieve pain and tension. If you have osteoporosis pain from spinal fractures, be sure that you talk with your doctor before seeing a massage therapist.

Laurel 08-10-2010 07:50 PM

I take strontium, Vit D, calcium and magnesium for bone health. Google "Nan Fuchs" and read a bit on the strontium. Good luck!

Jackie07 03-06-2013 01:49 AM

http://www.medpagetoday.com/Washingt...AGeneral/37676

FDA Panel Says 'No' to Osteoporosis Drug 'Calcitonin Salmon'...