HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Devastated - told weeks!!! (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=38224)

eric 02-28-2009 07:39 PM

Devastated - told weeks!!!

To finally determine why Caryn was continuing to have digestive problems they did an ERCP, which is a catheder scope down through the ducts. Unfortunately, the dr found tons of microscopic cells clogging the ducts inside the liver. This is driving her liver toward failure. If we do anything there's a risk of accelerating damage to the liver and shortening the little time that she has. We told our 16 year old daughter and 13 year old son -what a HORRIBLE thing to have to do. We're not quite ready to stop fighting yet so we've asked her primary Onc to speak to her Sloan Onc to discuss last shot treatment or a surgery. We're hoping that they can come up with something her2 related that won't compromise her liver even further. I'm devastated as it appears that my kids have less than 2 weeks to be with their mom and I have less than 2 weeks to be with the best thing that's ever happened to me outside of my kids.
I'm sorry if this post makes things harded for anyone else.

caya 02-28-2009 08:02 PM

Eric -

I am so saddened by this news. I pray that the Sloan onc. can think of something so that Caryn can keep up the fight.

I am praying that you all find comfort - HORRIBLE....

wishing you all the best
caya (Caryn is my real name, I really feel this)

sassy 02-28-2009 08:11 PM

Eric,

Please know that I am keeping your entire family in my thoughts and prayers. I am praying that the Sloan onc can help.

vickie h 02-28-2009 08:18 PM

Oh Eric, I am so heartbroken and in tears because of this news. I am on my knees, praying to God to please heal Caryn and to grant you the peace and ability to face the paths ahead. Please, please know you and your family are in my heart tonight. I am 60 years old and would switch places with caryn if I could, I truly mean that. Hold your beautiful wife and children close and tell them that thousands of us out here are praying fervently for a miracle.

Love, Vickie

Lani 02-28-2009 08:23 PM

the most remarkable lecture I have heard in the last 5 years

was the following

Adoptive T-Cell Transfer for Metastatic Melanoma
James Yang, MD
National Institutes of Health

at a conference in October hosted by Dr. Slamon

He was, I believe, starting to try to do something simiilar with other cancers...or at least thinking of starting to as he stated he believed his method would be applicable to many other sorts of cancer.

He only treats patients at the NIH and the patient's whose scans he showed and whose stories he told were widely metastatic.

Perhaps trying to contact his office at the NIH???

chrisy 02-28-2009 08:45 PM

Oh Eric, I have no words, only prayers.

Wrapping you and Caryn and your family in loving prayers.

Much much love
Chris

Bill 02-28-2009 08:45 PM

Eric, my prayers are with you and Caryn, and your family. I hope and pray that something can be done.

ElaineM 02-28-2009 09:01 PM

Devasted - told weeks !!

I am so sorry. There must be something that can be done. Keep asking the docs. Meanwhile, I have my fingers crossed and will say a prayer for you and your family. Take care.

freyja 02-28-2009 09:28 PM

Yes! Keep fighting. We're fighting with you. Keep asking questions. Get face to face with those doctors and try everything. I believe in miracles. We're with you no matter what happens.

Debbie L. 02-28-2009 09:47 PM

of course devastated

Oh Eric, our hearts ache for you and for your family. I pray that you use every possible moment left to Caryn to cherish, support, and love each other. I pray that you do not get so caught up in searching for more options that you miss an opportunity to grab these precious moments, right now.

Searching for options is fine and of course we hope for success there - but do not hang your hat on that. Do not risk wasting one single precious moment. This is it, the only reality, right NOW. There is absolutely nothing to lose, and so much to gain, in that approach to each moment.

If only we all had that urgency, every moment. If only we did not have to be motivated by being so imminently close to facing our mortality to remind us to fully appreciate this moment. Hug your kids, your lover, your bosom buddies, and best friends. Even if just figuratively, in your heart.

Please, Eric, do not worry about making things harder for those reading. You're actually making it easier for us (in the long run) by giving us the opportunity to be with you just a little bit in your hard times. Keep posting, so that we can offer our small words of support and also so that we can learn that this - even this - can be done.
Holding you in my heart, with love,
Debbie L.

SoCalGal 02-28-2009 10:51 PM

Oh my god Eric I am reading through tears. I echo the words of the others...sending love and prayers.

Try to stay in the present moment. As a mom (with kids just a few years older) I decided that my PROCESS was what held value for my kids, my friends, and my family - that was the only way for me to cope with the times that my treatment wasn't working and I, too was needing a miracle.

Hoping a miracle is on the way to you and your family.

Flori

Margerie 02-28-2009 11:08 PM

I am so sorry Eric and I will be thinking of you and your family

Kavy 02-28-2009 11:41 PM

Eric,
I am so sorry to hear Caryn's news. I'm praying for the doctors to find a way to help her, and I am also praying for you and for your family.
Keep fighting for her.
Hugs,
KarlaV.

jones7676 03-01-2009 03:34 AM

Eric,

I am so very sorry to hear of Caryn's news. I am going to try to continue to think positive though because within the last 20 years I've had two acquaintances and for one they found a trial and she lived longer and a good life.

I am hoping and praying that a call to the NIH can save Caryn as it did save this acquaintance and I believe it may be possible and could happen.

Whatever the outcome is I am part of the group praying for you and your family. Even though I don't know you, my heart is hurting for you and the children and hoping for the best.

I am hoping the same type of "miracle" is there for all of you.

RhondaH 03-01-2009 04:40 AM

Eric...

prayers were just said for Caryn and your family...I hope something can be done and will continue to pray. Take care and God bless.

Rhonda

suzan w 03-01-2009 06:07 AM

sad sad sad...sending peaceful thoughts your way.

Lien 03-01-2009 06:11 AM

Eric, that's such devastating news. I am so sorry. And I'm crossing all my fingers and toes, hoping that some kind of therapy can be found that will by her more time.

I do think Debbie L. has a point, though. These weeks are so precious. When my Mom was dying of cancer of the esophagus, almost 10 years ago, I got to spend the last week with her. She told me she felt very lonely, because my father couldn't accept that she was dying. She told me she needed for us to let her go. She felt it was her time.

So even if you do everything you can to find another treatment, please don't forget to ask her what she needs from you. Don't forget to let the children spend time with her, giving them and her a chance to accept what's going on. And give each of your children enough space to deal with this in their own way.

I am so grateful to you for finding the time to let us know. We want to be there for all of you.

Sending hugs & healing energy all the way from the Netherlands, Europe.

Jacqueline

eric 03-01-2009 06:42 AM

I can't tell you how much ALL of your words mean to me.
Lani - I've emailed Dr. Yang and will call as well. I also cc'd Caryn's Onc in the hopes that he will reach out as well.
Our family realizes the reality and will make decisions based on real information but we're not ready to just give up. We will weigh any positives and negatives but am thankful to have possible options to look into.
If there's a God - God Bless You ALL!
Love to all,
Eric

Mary Jo 03-01-2009 06:59 AM

Oh dear God Eric.......your post has made me so sad and I am so so sorry for you, Caryn and your children. So so hard it must be.

I ask God to comfort you all - to hold you close - to surround you with peace.

I wish there was more I could say but there isn't....only that I know you are loved - incredibly!!!

Gentle hugs,

Mary Jo

Mary Anne in TX 03-01-2009 07:17 AM

Eric, my heart is heavy for your circumstances, but my spirit is high with possibilities for your family. I send love and prayers to you all. May God's angels stay near to help. ma