HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Unexpected trigger for GERD (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=64812)

Mtngrl 04-23-2016 10:25 AM

Unexpected trigger for GERD

Hello everyone,

My most persistent and troublesome chemo side effect is GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disorder.) I'm now taking two medications, twice a day each, plus calcium antacids, to try to control it.

I recently figured out that the one thing that most aggravates my GERD is wearing clothes with a rigid or snug waistband. So it's yoga pants and loose dresses for me from now on, or as often as possible!

I'm also supposed to get an upper endoscopy soon. I will.

SoCalGal 04-24-2016 06:37 PM

Re: Unexpected trigger for GERD

Ugh, sorry to hear. I've had acid stomach from chemo for years. Just recently stopped prevacid, used nexium for a couple weeks (suspected ulcer, so that pain resolved) and just stopped nexium. Using zantac 150, one pill 2x day. When I had the ulcer and tons of pain/discomfort, I was taking zantac along with nexium. Probiotics seem to help, as does avoiding tomatoes and acidy foods. Eating high fiber, so food moves quickly thru digestion, and avoiding wheat and dairy.

The other big trick for reflux is to put a pillow or wedge UNDER your mattress so when you sleep the top half of your bed is elevated and gravity really does help. Sleeping on more pillows does not work the same or reliably at all. The pillow under your mattress takes a bit of getting used to, and you will slide down at first but then one adjusts especially with the benefit of keeping food down where it belongs :) I am waiting to see if I can get by on the zantac once I resume treatment next week. I've been on the acid blockers for way too long, am hoping to leave them in the past, but time will tell. Hope you feel better, too!!

Kim in CA 04-25-2016 09:18 AM

Amy,
good that you've found the trigger for your GERD. It is far better to try to prevent it, than having to treat it after the fact.

My esophagus has never been the same since my stem cell transplant nearly 20 years ago. I've been a slow learner, but have finally learned to control my urges to eat the things that cause my GERD. It's hard though, cause eating chocolate, drinking red wine, pizza, etc. etc. are some of the great pleasures in life!

I do take my daily probiotic too, and have found Align to work the best of all that I've tried. The other biggie is just eating very small portions. Sometimes if I eat too much, the acid starts coming up while I'm still sitting upright. Or, if I even just bend over I can end up with a mouth full of acid....yuck!

Being disciplined has been a challenge for sure, and when I'm not, I keep the acid reducers at the ready!

Kim

Mtngrl 04-25-2016 09:27 AM

I'm not complaining about this, but my GERD doesn't involve heartburn or any noticeable acid taste. I get a dry cough and I have problems talking or singing. My voice just cuts off mid-word, usually followed by a little cough. That's from acid splashing onto my larynx. Ugh.

Maybe I'm just in denial, but I don't seem to have any food or beverage triggers. I thought coffee was a problem, and quit drinking it. I'm actually glad to be free of my caffeine dependence, but it turns out it's not really the issue for me.

I do think I need to figure out how much and how often to eat. I think going too long without eating is a problem, but eating also sometimes results in symptoms.

I've been off "heavy chemo" since December. I hope I'll eventually heal from the GERD. In the meantime, it's good to share our tips and tricks.

Amy

tricia keegan 04-25-2016 12:04 PM

Amy I've taken Nexium daily for ten years since my chemo finished and a Hiatal Hernia was diagnosed as the cause of my GERD. I've just recently read of a large study showing Nexium can cause some serious kidney issue's and even kidney failure! I tried to stop taking it but suffered too much with acid so I'm just waiting to see my Onc in the summer and discuss with her, glad you found the cause of yours.

scrunchthecat 04-25-2016 06:18 PM

I had a round of GERD during round 4 of THP. I took nexium for 2 weeks and then followed the GERD diet of smaller meals, no acidic foods and it eventually went away.

suzan w 04-26-2016 04:27 AM

I, too, have suffered from GERD for over 10 years. I take a daily Prevacid before breakfast. I know my GERD is a direct result of chemo. I had an endoscopy a few months ago to rule out anything worse! Sometimes the cure is worth the side effects!!! Good luck!

Lani 04-26-2016 03:09 PM

Chemo does "a number " on the GI tract so I guess it is the most likely culprit, but just remember there are other drugs, common ones you may still be using, that can cause GERD as well ie, norvasc, a calcium channel blocker commonly given for high blood pressure, can cause the gastro-esopageal sphincter to relax and allow stomach contents with acid to reflux into the esophagus. A quick review of your meds and their potential side effects with your doctor might possibly enable you to try to switch to different meds and get off the anti-GERD drugs, which have side effects of their own eg, PPIs may have adverse effects on the kidneys and bones(osteoporosis) and make one more susceptible to C. difficile diarrhea.

If no other potential culprits are found, it never hurts to be aware of the different side effects of the different groups of antiGERD drugs so you can look out for them.

fauxgypsy 04-28-2016 07:21 PM

I had surgery for acid reflux several years bwfore chemo. During and since chemo I have had continuing issues with GERD. Dexilent is the only med that really helps me.

Mtngrl 05-05-2016 10:19 PM

I appreciate the insights! Thanks, everybody.

I had the upper endoscopy on Monday (happy birthday to me!) The doctor said my esophagus looked fine. Stomach had some redness. They did some sampling for biopsies.

I know Ibuprofen can trigger GERD. I don't take that anymore.

The yoga pants and smaller meals are helping, I think.

Onward!

MaineRottweilers 05-06-2016 06:45 AM

Happy belated birthday. Sorry it was marred by a procedure. I'm betting you didn't eat cake and ice cream on Monday. Hopefully, you made up for it on Tuesday.

donocco 05-06-2016 08:09 AM

Ive read Metoclopropamide (Reglan) can help Gerd. As far as I know Reglan doesnt push
osteoporosis (swant that a PPI effect?) or kidney disease. It can increase prolactin by inhibiting dopamine and some will say it pushes breast cancer. This may be more theoretical than real. Every drug is a risk vs benefit.

Paul