HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Getting the ball rolling (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=59683)

Redwolf8812 12-06-2013 07:02 AM

Getting the ball rolling

I have lab work, an EKG, an MRI, and a CT scan scheduled for the 11th. It's going to be a long day at UPenn but that's ok. I have my husband to keep me company. Thank The Lord for him! And we have a family and friends vacation planned - I can look forward to arriving in Florida on the 13th. Thank The Lord for THAT also! Then I'm to start the trial when I get back - not sure of the exact date, possibly the 19th, the day after we get home.

A biopsy of the tumor in the liver showed yet another protein that this cancer over expresses. The trial drug to target that protein is called Palbociclib. I thank God for all these medical advancements, particularly in breast cancer research. They are constantly finding more and more "subtypes" of breast cancer, enabling the oncology field to more-effectively fight the beast.

Please continue to help me and my family storm the gates of Heaven! Thank God for all of you!

Blessings.

- Penny

JennyB 12-06-2013 07:39 AM

Re: Getting the ball rolling

Am pounding with you Penny

Jackie07 12-06-2013 05:01 PM

Add mine (used to compete in shot-put), too.

KDR 12-06-2013 05:48 PM

Penny,
Best of luck to you. I will be watching and waiting for your good news. We have a lot in common. Happy Holidays, with love
Karen

Bunty 12-06-2013 06:10 PM

All the best Penny - thanks for forging ahead with a trial on behalf of all of us. Praying that this will be a good one!
Marie x

Redwolf8812 12-11-2013 06:25 AM

Thank you Lord, for advancements in modern medicine, for all your cures and treatments. Thank you for the safe, quality time you've provided to me and my husband as a result of this illness. Also, thank you for getting my friend back to work. Please forgive me for all the times I've been ungrateful for the good things you've bestowed upon me and my family. I am truly sorry and ashamed. I have an appointment, lab work, an EKG, MRI's and a CT today. I offer up to you all these things, along with the necessary fasting and the results, and the drive to Penn and back. I consecrate them to your Sacred Heart. They're yours - please bless them. Thank you, Lord. For these things, I pray in the Might Name of Your Beloved Son, and My Savior, Jesus Christ. Amen.

- Penny

Mel3 12-11-2013 08:16 AM

Beautiful prayer, Penny. Wishing you many Blessings.

michka 12-11-2013 08:27 AM

I hope all today's appointments and the drive to UPenn will go OK Penny. Michka

conomyself 12-11-2013 11:17 AM

This sounds like such an exciting and promising treatment, Penny! I think it will be just the thing for you!

Love,

Rachael

Redwolf8812 12-11-2013 05:16 PM

Appointments at Penn started off ok. Got lab work done, check. Saw Nurse Practitioner, check. Met with Clinical Trial Nurse. Everything was going ok - all scans were scheduled, along with my 1st appointment for new treatment. We discussed side effects - most are minimal and no hair loss, Praise The Lord! Then...oops...forgot you need an echo. Couldn't do it today - no time between other tests. They almost wouldn't do it tomorrow either but Sean "sweet-talked" the girls over in Cardio and they told him to come in any time tomorrow. Thank You God for keeping this man in my life.

Check-in for scans, check. Male tech comes to get me. He walks me to the CT Scan waiting room and tells me that my MRI will be first but that I may as well leave my belongings in the lockers at CT since I'll end up there and the CT peeps gotta access my port anyway for the dye they inject during scans. Fine. To their credit they had a lot of patients but I started noticing people getting called for port access who arrived after me. I asked someone about it. Oops - no one told us you were here. We'll be with you as soon as we can. I musta been in that waiting area about 30 minutes. In swoops a male and female tech asking if Penny Knowles was here. That's me. Look of relief on their faces - of course, because the computer said I was waiting for an MRI. The female tech gets my port ready and walks me over to get my MRI done. 45 minutes of breathe, hold your breath, ok now you can breathe. Back over to CT waiting room. 4 patients ahead of me. Surprise - I was their last one. CT scan takes 5 minutes but the dye gives me the sensation of wetting myself. Oh yeah and I'm all pumped up on steroids 'cause of course I'm allergic to the dye.

At least we have these wonderful diagnostic tools. So I thank The Lord for that.

Oh yeah - yesterday I had a message to call insurance company for authorization numbers for these tests. I call and tell the 1st woman (after she asks me my name, DOB, policy number, address, etc) that I already had the numbers. She transfers me to another woman who first asks me for all my personal info again - felt like I was dealing with Comcast Cable. Worked out the problem. I thank The Lord for insurance.

Despite everything, God is good. He loves me and my family and provides for us and gets us through it all. At the end of the day, I am proud to say that Jesus is My Savior. Onward and Upward!

Carry on.

- Penny

Laurel 12-11-2013 06:30 PM

Love your spirit, Penny! PTL for all of it! Hope you have a wonderful family holiday and that cancer is far from your mind. Never heard of the new trial drug, but how good is it that you will keep your hair especially with this frigid weather? Guess that sounds pragmatic, but really hair is a "good thing" (as Martha Stewart says) this time of year! I do hope the side effects are null and that the stuff works on those liver mets like nobody's business!

Storming the gates for ya!

valleygirl 12-12-2013 12:04 PM

Hi Penny,
GOOD LUCK to you!!!! What trial are you doing?

Redwolf8812 12-16-2013 07:55 AM

It's the CDK (rb inhibitor) herceptin trial. Just read scan reports. Spot in liver is definitely bigger. And there's a new spot on a rib that may be cancer or from radiation. Sigh. Starting new trial Thursday. Praying, praying, praying.
-Penny

lkc Gumby 12-16-2013 08:28 AM

prayers for your healing Penny!

Cat 12-16-2013 07:33 PM

Prayers and wishing you well on this journey.

Cathy

Redwolf8812 01-07-2014 08:20 PM

Hope everyone had blessed holidays. I'm taking my pills and feeling well. My most recent bloodwork looked good - thanks be to God!

I'm missing Denise and her posts. God bless her family. What a treasure.

- Penny

KsGal 01-11-2014 07:53 AM

Lots of prayers and positive energy headed your way. I have faith that this is going to work for you. We will beat back this horrible enemy. Big hugs to you!

Mtngrl 01-11-2014 05:28 PM

Dear Penny,

Thank you for letting us know what's going on with you, and how you're doing. I wish you all the best.

You set a great example of remembering to be thankful for blessings.