HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Second Reoccurance (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=46697)

tdonnelly 09-13-2010 09:38 AM

Second Reoccurance

Her2 Friends,

Still recupperating from recent Masectomy surgery. I was put on Armidex and developed a bad rash. Doctor stopped new protocol and I am waiting for new Protocol. Oncologist said I didnt need Chemo or Herceptin; although my Surgeon thought I would be receiving a stronger Chemo regimen. I don't know what to think as they both have different approaches to the recent reoccurance. Any suggestions?

Tamara

ElaineM 09-13-2010 09:52 AM

Re: Second Reoccurance

It is true that oncologists and surgeons think differently. There personal experiences with others in your situation could also be the reason they have different opinions. Also remember the surgeon actually saw the diseased tissue, but the oncologist read the pathology report written by a pathologist who examined the tissue.
I would see if I can get a second oncology opinion if I were you since the surgery is done and you are ready for the next step, which would be more in the area of treating your body to try to prevent more problems.
Good luck with the rash. Take good care of yourself.

Mary Anne in TX 09-13-2010 04:00 PM

Get another opinion and then decide what feels best to YOU! ma

tdonnelly 09-15-2010 09:55 AM

Thanks, I am planning to see a new oncologist for a second opinion soon. Take Care

Jackie07 09-16-2010 12:02 AM

Tamera,

Are you only weakly ER+? I was only 5% in my initial diagnosis in 2003 and had received very conflicted opinions from my doctors. Initially my oncologist told me I was ER - and couldn't use Tamoxifen. But after completing chemo sessions, two different doctors mentioned about my starting Tamoxifen. I thought they were crazy. After the second one, I called my oncologist's office, then he gave me a prescription.

After the recurrence and mastectomy, we played the same game again and I got the prescritption. Finally it was revealed that I was only 5% ER+. But another doctor (my sister-in-law's doctor overseas) told me that even at 5% ER+, it's still beneficial to get Tamoxifen or AI.

I thought I was going to continue with an AI after oophorectomy mid January, but my oncologist did not want me to. Suddently I received a note from him several days after my last office visit (end of August) stating "just wanted to make sure you are taking your Tamoxifen".

Then I found a new article talking about the benefit of Tamoxifen to the bones for post-menopausal women. That's the only possible reason I could find.

One possible reason why your surgeon recommend stronger chemo might be to cover his/her embarrassment having had to operate on you again. My surgeon was quite upset when the recurrence was confirmed. "I had a clear margin!" she repeated the sentence several times to me.

Let us know what you find out from the 2nd opinion doctor.