HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Benign spots on liver/lungs on CT scan? (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50391)

gqmom 06-10-2011 04:41 PM

Benign spots on liver/lungs on CT scan?

Okay, I'm really freaking out. My surgeon told me that my CT scan was "essentially" normal...that there were several small spots on my lungs and one on my liver that are most likely due to past infections and within the range of normal. WHAT DOES THIS MEAN????? I'm so scared that they could be mets. He did say that there was no lymph node involvement after my surgery, so that was good news. Anyone out there have any experience with this???

Jackie07 06-10-2011 07:20 PM

Re: Benign spots on liver/lungs on CT scan?

Hi,

I was so sure about having liver mets one time when the doctor had ordered an ultrasound immediately after a CT-scan. Several days later my medical oncologist told me during my appointment that everything's fine. The shadows on my CT scan turned out to be harmless 'hepatic hemangioma' (think of a birthmark) and nothing needs to be done. I also have some 'scar tissues' in my lung because of prior exposure to TB.

It's great news that there's no lymph node involvement. However, as a cancer patient, you want to stay vigilant. Good nutrition (a low fat diet with more plant-based foods [for beneficial phytochemicals] and regular exercise are keys to our long-term health.

I'm sure your doctor will schedule follow-up scans. Until then, enjoy your 'normal' status and report anything 'unsual' to your medical care provider.

michka 06-10-2011 11:45 PM

Ask for a petscan. Even if it is for noyhing you will feel better. Love Michka

Mel3 06-11-2011 07:07 AM

My doctor told me the same thing, I have a spot on my liver. Mine has been there and has not changed, so the doctors I have asked about this are not concerned. I have had a few scans in the past year.

CoolBreeze 06-11-2011 02:33 PM

I had a CT scan in December that showed a spot on the lung (possibly related to an infection) and everything else clean. I've been having back pain, and it hasn't stopped. I started bloating up, so he did another CT mid-May. This time it showed two lesions concerning for metastatic foci.

I had the biopsy Thursday, and I'll find out for sure if it's mets next Wednesday.

Everybody has lesions and spots inside them. It's when they change and grow (as mine did) that it is concerning. (The one on my lung is the same as it was before and I did once have pneumonia.)

I know it's hard but they usually can tell what that stuff is. If you have another CT scan in 3/6 months and it changes, that's when to worry.

Joan M 06-11-2011 08:08 PM

gqmom,

Perhaps you could get a copy of the scan report and read the radiologist's impression. The impression is a section at the end of the report that would give you more specific information about the scan results. Also, did your surgeon say way he/she wanted to do a CT scan after your surgery?

Joan

gqmom 06-12-2011 02:19 PM

Joan M,
I had to do a bone scan and CT before my surgery as part of my testing...they said it was just procedure.

hutchibk 06-13-2011 10:20 AM

Have your medical oncologist look at it as well and quiz them about ordering a PET to put your mind at rest. Also, are you planning to have radiation post surgery? If so, have your radiation oncologist read it also. My radiation onc always reads my MRIs and CTs and PET/CTs, because we want to be sure the radiologist at the scanning center is reading it correctly (they do read tons of them everyday, oversights can happen). Chances are that your surgeon is correct, as scans can show all kinds of interesting things on your insides that you never knew were there.

I also had a 'spot' on my liver when I was first diagnosed... and it turned out to be a hemangioma (a harmless cluster of blood vessels).

Lauriesh 06-13-2011 02:37 PM

I just wanted to add about an experience a friend of mine had. She was diagnosed with colon cancer, and there were two spots on her liver. the dr. said that they would watch them and see what happens when she had chemo.

They stayed the same, so the dr said they were benign. About two years later she had a follow up ct, which showed they had grown, and were indeed cancer.

I am sure this is very rare, but it shows that you have to keep an eye on things, because unless it is biopsied, there is no way to know for sure.

Laurie

PinkGirl 06-15-2011 01:13 PM

I've had similar things ... two nodules in one of my lungs that we
CT'd every six months for 2 years ... nothing ever changed and my
onc decided it was probably from an infection, coughing, bronchitis etc.

Same thing with my liver ... I have hemangiomas and I have lots of them. They do NOT turn into cancer .. ever ... but they've given me a big scare a few times.

For your peace of mind you might ask for follow-up scans in a few months
or a PET etc. I know it's hard to not worry.