HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Eyelashes--Need Some! (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=44381)

vlcarr 03-24-2010 08:09 PM

Eyelashes--Need Some!

Has anyone tried the new stuff they are advertising to help grow eyelashes? I think it's called Latrisse (not sure of the spelling).

If so, did it work or did you have any problems with using it? I had very few before chemo so as you can imagine I really don't have any now.

My hair and eyebrows are growing well, along with my facial hair I could do without, but my eyelashes don't seem to be getting any better.

StephN 03-24-2010 10:01 PM

Re: Eyelashes--Need Some!

Hello -
We had a conversation about the earlier "lash boosters" a while back and I ended up getting RevitaLash and used it the end of 2009.
That product did help my lashes thicken up, but over time it seems they have gone back to about the way they were.

I was thinking of using it again as I have some left.

Don't know about the Latisse and no one has reported on it that I saw.

Good luck!

Shobha 03-25-2010 08:10 AM

I used Revitalash too and it helped mine grow longer and a bit thicker. Revitalash does not require prescription but Latisse does require it.

I have not used Latisse.

v-ness 03-25-2010 08:42 AM

i used a lash conditioner since november and never lost all my lashes. i'd say i have about half my upper lashes and i hope that since it's been 2 mos since chemo no more will fall out (knock wood). it just so happens that i read up on eyelash regrowth products the other day and i found this site to be the most helpful and seemingly unbiased: http://truthinaging.com/eyes/eyelash...are-they-safe/
based on the fact that Latisse is so bloody expensive and you have to get a prescription and probably pay 100% of the doctor's visit, not to mention questionable possible side effects, i chose Folligen. the price is right, and it got good reviews on the site. i might have opted for Revitalash but one woman had a bad allergic reaction and i am not into paying over a hundred bucks for something that might give me eye problems (same goes for Latisse). so for $17.99 on amazon i am giving Folligen a go. valerie

vlcarr 03-25-2010 11:21 AM

Thanks Valerie. I figured it was expensive and I sure don't want to pay that much for something that could cause problems. The Folligen is very reasonable so I think I will give it a try, especially at the price. Let me know how it works for you.

ymryan 03-25-2010 11:53 AM

Hi Vicky,

I attended a "Look Good, Feel Better" program a few months ago and ladies talked about Latrisse (including the cosmetology professional). The discussion was to make the attendees aware and cautious of reported eye problems that occurred in some women as a result of Latrisse. Not sure how credible that is because I have not personally done research on it, but perhaps something you might want to consider looking into.

Best.

CoolBreeze 03-25-2010 07:59 PM

I know a lot about this subject, did a bunch of research a while back.

A couple of years ago, Revitalash contained the same prostoglandin agonist that is in Latisse, called bimatoprost. It has been used as eye drops safely for many, many years to treat glaucoma.

The story goes that an eye doctor noticed that when he gave his glaucoma patients the eyedrops with bimataprost, that their eyelashes grew. When his wife got breast cancer and her eyelashes fell out, he came up with the formulation for her, and eventually marketed it as Revitalash.

I used it and it did work.

However, Allergen owns the molocule in the glaucoma drug and sued Revitalash to market their own product, now known as latisse. Revitalash had to change their formulation and it no longer contains the eyelash growing component.

Latisse will grow your lashes. But, it takes faithful use, it doesn't happen quickly. The average is two months before you start to see results. Some people have reported problems with irritation along the lash line but it's anecdotal. You do not have to use the applicators they give you -- a small lipliner brush will work just as well, make your product last twice as long and probably cut down on any irritation you experience. Remember, they want you to use it up but it lasts and you don't need that much.

There are no studies that used as an eyelash enhancer, it will change iris color. When used as daily eye drops, in a very small percentage of people, light eyes got darker. However, that hasn't happened when used as an eyelash enhancer - you can't get enough in your eye to make that happen.

When shopping, unless your product contains and prostoglandin agonist, it will not grow eyelashes. Don't be fooled by all the products out there, because they don't work. Even Revitalash doesn't contain one, at least in their last formulation.

One other product that does contain one, although it is not bimataprost, is Phillip Thomas Roth's Lashes to Die For. That also will work to grow lashes. But, it's about the same price as getting Latisse. And,the FDA is getting nervous about companies selling "drugs" as eyelash enhancers. I tried the Lashes to Die for and it also worked but not as well as the Revitalash. It might be because I wasn't as faithful with it.

I got a prescription from Latisse from my plastic surgeon and my last chemo is next week. I'll be trying it soon after.

My plastic surgeon's office called the Latisse rep, and she said not to take it during chemo. It's unlikely to interfere with my chemo drugs but they don't recommend it as there have been no studies on it.

So, I'll probably start a week or so after chemo.

Good luck growing eyelashes!

harrie 03-26-2010 12:28 AM

Cool Breeze, thank you for the comprehensive explanations. I was also interested in the Latisse.
I had used Revitalash in the past and it did work well when I was using it. But then I discovered the gluacoma med in the ingredients and the possible side effects and it scared me off the product and my lashes later became sparse again.

Lori R 03-26-2010 05:02 AM

OK...OK...I confess....I am a current Latisse user.

The taxotere did quite a number on all things "hairy". Patchy hair, no eyebrows and no eyelashes. After 2 years I just couldn't take it. I wanted to look more "normal"

I've been using Latisse since January and actually have some eyelashes now. They are very thin but it is an improvement over essentially nothing.

To obtain the Latisse you can go to most plastic surgeons offices, dermatologists. I didn't have to see a Dr. (hence no $150 office visit) Just to the front desk and ask to purchase the product. It is pricey..$120. But using it every day it has lasted for over 2 months.

I have noticed that on occasion my eyes appear red but honestly not certain if it is from the Latisse or the herceptin.

For now....I think I'll keep using it.

v-ness 03-26-2010 08:51 AM

yeah, i figure that a product may not work, so spending $17.99 is reasonable. if it doesn't work, so what? it's not like throwing $120 out the window. i don't know if any hair growth products work. the Folligen is meant for head hair as well. i am not sure i'd use any product called "To Die For", haha. um, yeah, had cancer... not sure i want to die for lashes. ;) valerie

vlcarr 03-26-2010 07:35 PM

Thank you all for sharing. CoolBreeze, it is obvious you did a lot of research!

I will definitely try something. Valerie, I would still like to know how the product you are going to try works.

Soccermom 03-26-2010 08:00 PM

A friend of mine is a beauty blogger as as well as a BC survivor she used Latisse and some other products to grow lashes, here is her take...
http://divadebbi.blogspot.com/2009/07/miracle-gro.html

http://divadebbi.blogspot.com/2009/1...eterrents.html

Hope this is helpful!
Marcia

WolverineFan 04-05-2010 11:21 AM

Vicky,

Sorry, I am just now chiming in. I have been off the board here for a while due to some deadlines at work. I, too, tried Latisse, and had great results, but all of a sudden, my lashes fell out again. My onc said it may be due to the fact that I am still on Herceptin. So, since it was working, as soon as I am off the Herceptin (last treatment May 4th...just in time for Cinco De Mayo!!), I am planning on using it again.

CoolBreeze 04-05-2010 12:58 PM

Another thought: eyelashes grow in regular cycles. When they all fall out from chemo, they start to grow in at once. And, that means they all fall out again at about the same time. It may have nothing to do with herceptin. As times goes by they will begin to normalize and get on different growth/lose cycles but for the first few rounds you might grow them, lose them, grow them....I still have some lashes so I might escape this.

v-ness 04-05-2010 06:26 PM

update: using Folligen since 3/26 and both of my eyebrows are filling back in with baby hairs. baby lashes are also coming in on my top lash line (not using it on my bottom because it can get in the eyes too easily). could just be that i am 2 months out from chemo and it's time for them to come in, but i must say there was no sign of them at all when i started using Folligen and the daily growth has been remarkable since i began.

aside: hair on upper lip has needed no help growing (unbelievable!), no armpit hair, random long delicate leg hairs (guess i gotta shave), and hair ONLY coming in at the bikini line I WOULD NORMALLY HAVE SHAVED, not in the middle. what the hell???

vlcarr 04-05-2010 08:05 PM

Thanks to all again for the info. I had to shave my legs and left underarm this week and like I said, the darn facial hair is growing like weeds!

I still see no eyelash growth. I think I will wait until I finish rads (only 7 more to go!) and get my last Herceptin in June then will dive into the eyelash treatment.

Marcia, I loved the blog from your friend. It contained some really good info on products.

Marilyn 04-06-2010 06:11 AM

I have been using Latisse for a few weeks now and I can see little eyelashes starting to grow. I checked around for the cost and it was the least expensive ordering through Medco. My opthamologist suggested it and gave me the prescription at my annual visit. I'm hopeful that it will bring my eyelashes back. Now if we could just figure out something for my hair! I'm like you Lori....patchy hair. So annoying.

Cal-Gal 04-06-2010 06:55 PM

I met a fellow cancer patient-(non-hodgkins lymphoma) at the treatment center last week and she is taking Latisse and loves the results---

Soccermom 04-07-2010 07:54 PM

Happy to be of help,Vicky!
Marcia

Sherryg683 04-11-2010 09:45 PM

I have been using Latisse for over a year now and LOVE it. My lashes were so puny from chemo. And now they are longer than they have ever been. I have people commenting on how great my eyes look now. I use it on my brows also and now I actually have them.. It takes around 12 weeks to see the full benefit but usually around 3 weeks you can see a difference. I have had no bad effects. Cost is 120.00 which lasts me around 4 months. I get mine from my dermatologist office..they have a skin care clinic attached. I don't need a prescription, nor pay for office visit. I just tell them who my dermatologist is and they sell me the product. I haven't tried the other products available but this stuff WORKS. Only bad thing is that if you ever discontinue use, your lashes will go back to the way they were. I don't plan on stopping using this.