HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   ?Safety of Estrogen cream (for Pessary) after HER2+ ER- PR- (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=67921)

JessicaV 05-13-2019 07:01 PM

?Safety of Estrogen cream (for Pessary) after HER2+ ER- PR-

Hi all, for a number of years I have intermittently been having distressing problems with a bladder prolapse plus uterine grade 3+prolapse causing massive discomfort when walking etc UTIs, etc.

I saw a gynaecologist some years ago who just wanted to do a hysterectomy. I have had the tests/done the research to know I would also need a bladder repair, and this scares me because of all the problems women have if mesh is used, and also the problems they have if mesh is not used. And that a hysterectomy does not stop this sort of pelvic organs collapse in fact it can speed up/worsen the process.

Have been advised by my lovely women's physiotherapist that a pessary would be really helpful for me, and could put me into a much better state physically and emotionally, but that it is best with a vaginal estrogen cream twice weekly plus lubrication cream to prevent vaginal wall damage/ infections/ discharge problems, (the cream is recommended by the manufacturers of the pessaries.)

My GP, when asked to prescribe the cream, told me that estrogen cream is dangerous for breast cancer survivors. When I questioned this since my cancer was hormonal-receptor-negative, she wants to pass the buck by sending me on to a gynaecologist. I am afraid this will just be a repeat experience of being pressured into a hysterectomy. I am 67 yers old, was starting to get fit etc and to like my body and being alive even if only one breast, but now feel that my body is really falling apart, and this really upsets me.

Does anyone know of any research about estrogen creams for non-hormonal-receptor breast cancer survivors?
Or have any personal experience of the same?

JessicaV 05-15-2019 06:35 AM

Re: ?Safety of Estrogen cream (for Pessary) after HER2+ ER- PR-

Just heard back from my oncologist that she's let my GP know that she approves topical estrogen for me because my cancer was hormone receptor negative. Such a relief, and I wanted to pass on if any other future person asks about this problem.

tricia keegan 05-16-2019 01:28 PM

Jessica, I was really glad to read your later update and was just about to reply that I would have considered this cream 100% safe for you too. I'm really glad your Onc approved it with the GP and hope you find a big improvement with it.

JessicaV 05-26-2019 01:13 AM

Thanks Trish. I did check the research and found several comments that topical low-dose vaginal estrogen cream or pessaries did not increase the measure of systemic estrogen, even in women on Tamoxifen or AIs, and should be safe for this reason.